The fallacy of 'spirituality'.

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kid-A
    kid-A

Believe: 1. To accept as true or real. 2. To have confidence in or trust. 3. To expect or suppose. 4. To have faith, esp religious faith. 5. To have faith or confidence (ie in doctor's ability). 6. To have confidence in the truth, value, or existence of somthing I aint buyin either Sherry! LOL. Simply because none of these 'descriptors' listed above accurately defines or describes my conception of "atheism" !! The confusion is that people consider the atheist position as a "negation" when in fact it is not. It is a "realization" that a supposed "premise" i.e. god, was never a valid premise in the first place but simply a "concept" or cognitive construct implanted by society and/or parents. It also involves an understanding of how the primordial human brain developed a "need" to ascribe so-called inexplicable phenomena (eg thunder, lightning, death, etc) to some "external" source of control (eg god) in order to construct some cognitively coherent comprehension of his/her world. Naturally the human brain has residual tendencies towards such "magical" thinking. However, 'magic' and 'reality' are two very different things.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    i would like to have some magic in my life . . . . i would actually *like* to be wrong about being an atheist

I get what you're saying TS. Believers who turn to atheism often do so through disillusionment but sometimes it happens because of an awakening in understanding. While it can provide for a clear state of mind and a pleasingly rational perspective on life it does remove the 'magic' of mythology and supernature.

I wonder if that accounts for the very rare conversions among atheists to a belief in the supernatural. C.S.Lewis was a confirmed atheist and published much dismissing the divinity of Christ - just try googling 'trilemma'. But eventually he adopted Christianity and produced the magical and mystical Chronicles of Narnia as his own re-telling of the Christian story.

Right now I'm halfway through the first volume of Phillip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. Witches, Daemons, Ghosts and Spirits - it's wonderful stuff!

Perhaps we all need to find our own personal balance between the rational and the mystical?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    It also involves an understanding of how the primordial human brain developed a "need" to ascribe so-called inexplicable phenomena (eg thunder, lightning, death, etc) to some "external" source of control (eg god) in order to construct some cognitively coherent comprehension of his/her world.

So, do you understand that?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Okay, I must be missing the point because it appears you are making my long-standing point for me. "Whatchoo talking about Ross?"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sorry about the belated reply - I lost the thread during a busy spell of life

Nic:I don't know what long-standing point you think I'm making for you.

The point of my last question is that there was a statement made about understanding something that most sensible psychologists/philosophers would steer away from being dogmatic about...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hey Ross, didn't realise you'd posted back.

I think we're looking at this same quote from different sides of the room.

It also involves an understanding of how the primordial human brain developed a "need" to ascribe so-called inexplicable phenomena (eg thunder, lightning, death, etc) to some "external" source of control (eg god) in order to construct some cognitively coherent comprehension of his/her world.

This "need" for our minds to ascribe outside control for seemingly uncontrollable phenomena - where do you say that need comes from Ross? Some say we have a need for God because God is real and we are incomplete without him. Perhaps we have a need to fill the gaps in our understanding so as to make 'sense' of the world and to remove fear. Better to believe that God is in control of thunder and lightening than to think it is the purely random destruction of an indifferent universe.

But I think it is better still to understand the natural dynamics and physics of such phenomena and dispel ignorance and fear through education. Superstion and myth are sure to wither on the vine of ever-growing knowledge and god will die with them.

I think.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Bumped to shamelessly piggyback on slimboyfats thread and because Ross still hasn't answered me!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ah! Resurrection of old threads.

Nic asked me to comment here, so I shall, though I have nothing significant to add I suppose.

Let it suffice to say - that in my case - spirituallity is about internalized religiosity. Although I am reticient to accept a single 'Holy book' as a guide distinct now, I accept and believe that God [as an entity] does exist. I do not believe this due to a holy book telling me that -

I do not have enough faith to accept blind evolution. Nor enough time in this world to evaluate all the possible systems of spiritual reference that would encase God in a neat little package for me. I do not understand. This I admit. But, I also cannot reject what my eyes tell me are matters of too much greatness and diversity to be explained away.

If I shall be wrong in this - harm is not done, for I will then recieve the precise conclusion that my atheistic brethren recieves, a speck of dust I shall become and know no more. My dust will mingle with the dust of others, formation of new life will genesis from the passing of old, and I will only live anew in the sense that from my dying, life will emerge.

If I shall be right, then I hope that God shall allow me to retain my history as I move to whatever realm exists beyond.

As stated; I know nothing. But as I look at the same universe as the athiest does, I percieve not cold mathematical formulas that make life in all it's uniqueness plausible, but the warmth of greater purpose, the sense, though empirically unproven I suppose in the minds of those who do not accept, that this wonderful majesty we call life is a beginning and not an end to itself.

Jeff

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I haven't been so busy on the board, this year, because I've been so busy with schooling, hence I lost this thread until it was bumped tonight.

Nic:
    We all have an internal mental map, complete with "here be gold" and "there be dragons". It enables us to function in the real world. God is a significant part of that map for many. What have you replaced that label with?

• hambeak
    hambeak

I think everyone has some level of spirituality a sence of right from wrong and no one has the right to dictate what that spirituality level should be or give it a grade like a b or c etc. I also agree our state of mind has a lot to do with our health not only mental but physical as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit