Were you ever ashamed of another JW?

by JH 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

I embarresed others more than I got embarresed by their behavior...I was such a buffoon...

• luna2
    luna2

Aw, Quentin. Can't believe you were that bad.

I was ashamed of the elder I worked for. He was the kind of person who was aggressive about seeing and commenting on others faults, but was completely unable to see his own. He was also such an arrogant bonehead in his business dealings that he had quite a poor reputation in the community...and everybody knew he was a JW. It was quite embarrassing. I finally got the courage to quit that job after three years of suffering. I was a fool to have stayed so long.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    Were you ever ashamed of another JW?

That's a rhetorical question, right?

There are too many times to count. But I guess that the time I was the most ashamed was after I had faded. I was waiting tables at a restaurant in Amarillo, TX. The DC was in town and the JWs were out in force. That night, ALL 15 members of the waitstaff made just over $100 in tips! It was so bad, there were several tables that left no money, but would leave old issues of the WT and Asleep rags as tips.

One of the other waiters was a buddy of mine and our stations were right next to each other. He knew that I used to be a JW, so right there in the middle of the two sections (within earshot of the JWs), he asked me why the JWs didn't think they had to tip. I replied, "I don't know man, I thought they were good people, but if this is how they treat hardworking people, I'll have to think twice about listening to them next time they were at my door." Each of those tables actually left us money, I think I made $14.00 and he made $16.00 that night.

CountryGuy

• Quentin
    Quentin
    Aw, Quentin. Can't believe you were that bad.

Heh...heh...thanks for the thought Luna...sad, but true...I had no social graces, loud, obnoxious and more often than not full of the spirits, the kind you drink that is...what kept me from getting DFd I'll never know...suppose I was the typical J boy in my younger days...just glad I left all that behind me...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I was always ashamed when it came to going out to group meals. Everyone would have a nice meal then it was time to pay. Everyone would allegedly put their share of money in and then it would still be $50 or more short. Then this ridiculous loud argument would start up along the lines of 'Well I paid my share' etc. It wasn't hard to work out which ones weren't paying for their meals as they would be the first ones to start getting angry and go 'I hope you don't think I'm the one who didn't pay. Are you insinuating it was me? I know you think it was me' and on and on. Everyone in the place would notice and it would be horrible. It got to the stage I refused to go out to dinner with any of them. I'd only go out to dinner with my very good friends and a maybe 2 or 3 of us at a time.

• alamb
    alamb

When I was a pioneer I used to fear having to work with a family in our hall. They were on "welfare" eternally for his back injury even though he could go horseback riding and waterskiing if someone else was paying.

If anyone refused the literature, he would tell them he was going to be living in their house after Armageddon and laugh. Lovely man. His kids also homeschooled and at the age of 8 they couldn't even write their own names.

Why, oh why, didn't I report them?

• simplesally
    simplesally

Ashamed of this brother (about 60 years old) who would pee in the bushes when we were out in service. I refused to go in the group with him anymore.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Oh yes - and It shocked me the first time I saw a very respected CO spit on the ground

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and some of our body of elders discussions were shall we say "non-upbuilding" about some brothers and sisters. So yes we as a body, were ashamed

• damselfly
    damselfly

I used to get horribly embarassed when out to eat with JW's and they would give a prayer in the middle of the restaurant, loudly so everyone could hear and look over.

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit