Hello everyone

by zerimar 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• zerimar
    zerimar

I'm not sure if this is the right place to introduce oneself, but I just, well, wanted to introduce myself!

I'm 29, raised in the truth. I'm an ex-MS. My dad is still an elder . I'll try to be brief.

Like I said, I was raised a JW. I was always "spiritually lukewarm" but was too afraid as a kid to stand up and rebel. I was always obedient, going preaching every Saturday (which I detested!!! I prefered to stay home and watch all those cool cartoons, like a normal kid). I gave my first talk at 11. I did auxiliary pioneering a few summers during my teens. I became a Ministerial Servant at 18. In high school, I avoided opportunities to date girls (which I regret horribly as of now) because they weren't JWs. I had always had an interest in the physical sciences and dreamed of becoming a scientist, and during my junior & senior years was looking up schools to apply to, but dad formed a family study specifically for that subject, and started telling me the "dangers" of college life. His recommendation was to go for a trade, or an associate degree at best. Besides, an intensive curriculum like science was too demanding and "would make me forget about Jehovah". Ridiculous. I settled for a two-year program in CAD (computer drafting). Don't ask me why I chose this if I was always interested in science. I got my 2-year degree at a really low-rate college and got my first job, where I earned some independance. This is when I bought my computer, gained internet access, and found all the opposing views. I learned I wasn't alone. I later found a better, higher paying job and moved along in life, and decided to get my bachelors degree in Environmental Science/Geology concentration. This is where I am now, earning my degree in the evenings mostly. This is where I gave up my ministerial servant "privileges". Officially, I'm still a JW, but I rarely attend. I consider myself an 'agnostic-bordering-on-atheist' now. And I'm also making up on lost time as I never really had a normal adolescence. I wish I would've opened my eyes sooner.

Well, I'm looking forward to have some interesting discussions!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Welcome to the board and thankyou for posting your story

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

YEAH!!! For once I get to be the first to welcome a Newbie!

WELCOME ABOARD MY FRIEND!

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

heyyy..where's my welcome post? I was supposed to be first.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome zerimar!

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Welcome to the board!

Swalker

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Welcome zerimar~

~Merry

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Welcome, zerimar!

Stick around! You'll learn a lot here! And good for you for persuing your dreams. Better late than never!

GGG

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Welcome! Its nice to know that you are able to think on your own now. I know you said you're 29, but have you gone out at all now that you don't have to worry about the religion? I know that was something I took full opportunity off... now I go a lot and I have a ton of worldy friends!

But Welcome!

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Welcome to the Forum, I think you'll be pleasantly (or unpleasantly as it maybe) surprised at how many folks here share your story. For me it was good to realize I wasn't alone in my journy. In any case, welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit