Americans need to grow up

by slimboyfat 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What is all this carry on (controversy) about "Brokeback Mountain"? My goodness, they are acting like 12-year-olds. Get a life - what is this the dark ages?

And it's not just that. They can't mention the UN without attaching the word "scandal".

Question whether Guantanamo Bay is just and and you would think you had insulted their mother. They are bereft for their lack of European-style post-colonial reflexivity and self-doubt.

And why is everyone on Fox News determined to enter into a "culture war"? And why must every single news story be either bad for the "Dems" or good for the GOP?

Don't Americans long for news that is simply "news". If I lived in America and had no access to the BBC or the Guardian, I would be forced to reply on the Daily Show for the closest thing Americans get to objective information on the outside world...

Disclaimer: this does not apply to all Americans of course.

• jstalin
    jstalin

I don't watch TV - most TV media is a joke. I get my news from the internet and newspapers and magazines.

Brokeback Mountain isn't as big a deal here as it is made out to be. People talk about it, but that's it. The media and the right wing nuts like to go nuts over it, but I don't much pay attention to them.

When I think UN, I don't think scandal, I think "useless."

As for guantanamo - I don't much care.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

But what if Brokeback mountain was shown in Arab Countries -do they need to grow up also

• jstalin
    jstalin

LOL - good point. We haven't burned down any embassies over Brokeback yet.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

And why is everyone on Fox News determined to enter into a "culture war"?

I agree FOX is too right wing conservative for some tastes - but you can turn the channel button to CNN if you prefer- Fox do add balance to the other channels

• skyman
    skyman

I am lost what the deal about Brokeback Mountain. That are we talking about is it a place or a book what I have not heard about it.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I haven`t seen Brokeback Mountain yet, but I find the title intriguing. Here we have two manly cowboys deciding to all of a sudden "explore their sexuality". And judging from the title of the film, they`ll be exploring it, allright. So thorougly that someone has to go to the chiropractor afterwards.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    But what if Brokeback mountain was shown in Arab Countries -do they need to grow up also

For sure! But the very fact that America can even slightly be compared with such backward societies is what worries me in the first place. America is the most prosperous liberal western democracy - there should be no comparison. Destitute, uneducated unfortunates in the middle east have an excuse for their superstitious nonsense and prejudices. Texans have no such excuse.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think it's really funny that a women's bare nipple can't be shown in the US without people fainting in the streets and covering their kids eyes so they won't be corrupted.

Josie

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

mrs jones

Yeah - that too! I forgot about that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit