Americans need to grow up

by slimboyfat 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• skyman
    skyman

OK it is a movie about Gay men. I watch the News everyday and read internet News this is the first I have heard of it. Some big whinny American I am I am going to protest the movie thanks for telling me that to be an American I have too get mad about the movie. Off I go, first need to tell other Americans here locally so I have a mob to take along with me. I'll be right back after I burn a few flags.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Now that's funny, somebody who's entire knowledge of Americans apparently comes from TV, complaining about how obsessed Americans are with TV. Might I suggest coming to our country, meeting and talking to real Americans?

• daystar
    daystar
    Texans have no such excuse.

I hope you understand that you are generalizing grossly and bordering on offensive here.

However, on the other hand, you also seem to be praising Texans as not "Destitute, uneducated unfortunates" or as not having "superstitious nonsense and prejudices". Thanks!

The reality is closer to somewhere in the middle, just as it is in most places of the world. A very large chunk of Dallas, for example, is very, very liberal. Then again we do have our share of rich, Republican, religious zealots as well.

So, rather than paint all us Americans with the same broad brush, showing us your own personal prejudices, why can't you just say "Closed-minded homophobes need to grow up". I'd share a beer with you over that sentiment.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If that's the case then us Brits need to grow up, too.

Disclaimer: this does not apply to all British of course.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Disclaimer: this does not apply to all Americans of course.

So why do you use the term Americans and not Some Americans?

They are bereft for their lack of European-style post-colonial reflexivity and self-doubt.

You speak in sweeping generalizations here. Don't assume the majority of Americans feel this way. You are falling hook, line and sinker for a loud, vocal minority. While we understand you might be naive enough to believe that Fox represents a large number of Americans, a lot of us find your generalizations insulting to an annoying degree. We could just as easily to say to you and others like you, "Grow up! You can't believe everything you see on TV. Didn't your mammas ever tell you that, son?"

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I think it's really funny that a women's bare nipple can't be shown in the US without people fainting in the streets and covering their kids eyes so they won't be corrupted. Josie

You mean shock, horror, shock horror Janet Jacksons tit on the Superbowl

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Just here to show my support for the americans on the board. The attitude displayed by fatboy here, is typical of besserwizzer-intelectually-superior-monopoly-on-the-"correct"-morality-posing-under-the-flag-of-political-correctness-European. The U.S., and americans (not south-americans of course, they are so "exotic") are viewed as a bunch of stupid, conservative-to-the-point-of-reactionary rednecks driving around in their pick-ups with a southern flag waving from the antenna and the backseat full of guns. It`s not so uncommon for Europeans to have this view. Usually, I will avoid these subhumans (I`m not kidding) - their intelligence is about the level of your average potty plant. They pissss me off!

Question whether Guantanamo Bay is just and and you would think you had insulted their mother. They are bereft for their lack of European-style post-colonial reflexivity and self-doubt. And why is everyone on Fox News determined to enter into a "culture war"?

Question why someone would start a thread insulting an entire nation. Question whether or not we would all be talking german now, if it hadn`t been for the americans and canadians, or whether world war 2 would have lasted 20 years and cost 200 million lives instead of 50, if it hadn`t been for the americans and canadians. Question why someone can take Fox News as representative for the average american mind.

Some people makes me embarassed of being European.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Don't you think that the people in Middle Eastern countries need to grow up a bit more? If a woman walks outside with even her FACE showing, she runs the risk of getting stoned to death. The same if she wears WHITE SOCKS in some countries... or if she leaves the house without her husband, brother, father or other male relative. Do you think that they should grow up?

How about the people BLOWING THINGS UP and BURNING THINGS DOWN and causing RIOTS over a freaking CARTOON?

Personally, I don't care about Brokeback Mountain... there are much more important things to be worried about. The people making the huge deal about it are the ones who are trying to force it down everyone's throats. I don't care about it.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    You are falling hook, line and sinker for a loud, vocal minority.

Sorry, but it's a loud, vocal majority. Last years election proved that.

I think everything slimboyfat said is accurate. That's how America is perceived, because that's how most Americans feel.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Destitute, uneducated unfortunates in the middle east have an excuse for their superstitious nonsense and prejudices. Texans have no such excuse.

Sorry SBF, but I have to disagree with you on this one.

A large number of Texans are destitute, uneducated unfortunates who believe in superstitious nonsense and prejudices.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit