The leaking organization, seems like the young are exiting fast.

by free2beme 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'm glad to hear it. I remember many who left in some way, but also many who are still in... I get the feeling that more are still in, but it might just be my perception - I didn't really know any who were inclined to leaving and that's probably the way they liked it.

Still it's good to know of a few people going for life. I wish the older ones would too.

• still angry
    still angry

I grew up as a JW in the 80's, and I'll tell you that even then not many youths stayed with it. My three brothers and I left as soon as we absolutely could (my oldest brother was publicly disassociated at 17 even though he wasn't ever baptized!), and I ran into a MS a couple of years ago that basically saw us grow up and I had asked him about other young people that I had known. All of them were gone. His own children that I had babysat for were grown into their late teens and early twenties and were also non believers. He seemed really saddened by all of it, and couldn't quite understand where he had gone wrong. I told him that his kids weren't failures and he hadn't failed his them; the Society had failed them. He seemed to perk up a little and told me how they were all in college and he was so proud. I could tell he hadn't ever told anyone that before except perhaps some co-workers. I said I was really proud of them too, and of him for supporting their decision. Another one, I believe, that is ready to call it quits after years of disillusion.

What always breaks my heart is how sad and empty JWs are when they wake up and see the real truth. How many wasted years.

• aniron
    aniron

I also know and have heard that many of the young ones who were growing up in the congregation back when I was there, have now left. One or two were DF'd but their not bother by it, caused their parents to leave as well.

In fact only 2 of my 7 children are still in with their mother.

Young ones today have so much more information available to them. When I became a JW in 1971 I could only find a couple of books about them and there was no internet.

Now there are books galore on JW's. The internet is available at schools, colleges, universities, internet cafes and many homes.

Also young ones today are more questioning than of years ago. The education system has taught them to question not to accept things at face value. No wonder the WT hate colleges etc.

Also as I have heard from my children, what some of the young JW's get up to now, I wouldn't have even dared to think about doing.

If any of the young brothers involved in some of the activities ever become Elders they will certainly have a different view on some things.

• upside/down
    upside/down

One can only hope!

u/d

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I would assume the 'leak rate', at least in what I have seen over the past 40 years is about 80%.

Of the 20% that stay in, maybe half are 'dyed in the wool'. The other half occilate in and out - weak and strong - .

Not a very successfull business model at the moment I would say.

They need another eschatological event to pump up the volume.

Jeff

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

6 years ago a well respected CO told me - The organization is ageing. Young leaving and those staying are the older die-hards . The result is the demographics are one of ageing - hence the 15 minute rule

• upside/down
    upside/down
    the 15 minute rule

Is?

u/d

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The "15 Minute" rule basically says that the elderly and infirm can report as little as 15 minutes of field service time per month. Everyone else cannot have any less than 1 hour or it is rolled over into the next month.

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

My only regret is that I could only quit them once.

• joelbear
    joelbear

my parents, age 80 and 83 are the only active members from my immediate family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit