Matthew 25

by Farkel 73 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

proplog,

Having lived in the Witness culture, I know that everything that Farkel said is true. I was impressed enough with the thread, to ask my wife to read it. She agrees totally as well.

Your comments about what individuals do in terms of charity is just a cop out, because you know that the typical Witnesse does precious little. Your comment that Christian charity can not solve all problems is a cop out as well. Furthermore, your mention of Farkel's personal situation has nothing to do with the subject, and appears to be an attack on his objectivity. These comments are as worthless as your cop outs.

• proplog2
    proplog2

larc:

I have been a JW for over 50 years. You can't tell me that I don't know their culture. They encourage their members to use their limited resources in the Christian ministry. If Jesus had the ability to feed thousands why didn't he pass that gift on to his disciples? Whether you believe the Bible or not - Jesus did not teach that man would solve the problems of poverty, hunger, and disease. The Kingdom of Heaven was the answer to human problems. It was his betrayer who accused Jesus of not caring about the poor.

JW's didn't create the economic system that causes poverty. JW's don't even validate the system by voting. They are "no part of the world" even as Jesus was no part of the world. Farkel has not and cannot prove that Matthew 25 is about feeding the world's hungry. Farkel can't use that scripture to beat up on JW's.

There were at least 10 people that agreed with Farkel. None of you can prove that Matthew 25 is a command to feed the poor.

Are any of you prepared to make the monetary contributions needed to feed, house, vaccinate, provide medical care for the poor of the world. Let the person without sin in this situation put up the first $1,000 per month.

• You Know
    You Know

Proplog2: Are you having a relapse and falling back into the truth? LOL! I appreciate your fair mindedness. / You Know

• JustAThought
    JustAThought
    If Jesus had the ability to feed thousands why didn't he pass that gift on to his disciples?

He did. There's a lot more of us than there was of Him. I agree that Matthew 25 and Luke 10 are not saying that it part of the Christian's responsibility to SOLVE the world's problems (i.e. disease, hunger, homelessness, etc.). However, I do believe that JESUS is saying that we should, each one, do what we can do. That we should not turn a deaf ear to the cries of the needy. Further support for this is found in the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:25-33). I know that this is not the underlying meaning JESUS is imparting with this story, but, certainly, we can see the danger in NOT doing what we CAN for those who are in need.

JustAThought

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2
    Are any of you prepared to make the monetary contributions needed to feed, house, vaccinate, provide medical care for the poor of the world. Let the person without sin in this situation put up the first $1,000 per month.

You have any idea how much it costs the society to print the amount of literature it does?

But you're right, charity is crap. let the poor suffer and the hungry die. We have magazines to place! God would never approve of us helping fellow men.

-Dan

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Farkel,

Great information! I always enjoy your posts. This just goes to show you how narrow they can be. I never noticed before how the WT can slip in one small word and you don't hardly notice until it is pointed out. It's like the part about assisting those in need, it seems to favor helping "faithful ones". Jesus never said to help ONLY those in your"group". I can't beleive it. How twisted. The more I see the more I wonder..........

Thanks!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Proplog2,
    With all due respewct, your apologia for the JW insensitivity toward the needy and suffering is lame. The obvious fact that Jehovah's witnesses are not responsible for creating the problems endemic to society does not exempot them from their Christian duty to show compassion for the less fortunate.
    Certainly no one who gives a sandwich to a starving person is under any illusion that his personal act is anything but one tiny act and will have not lasting effect on eradicating the root causes of human suffering. The reasoning that says ``we can't do much so let's not do anything'' is worse than specious -- it's a callous conscience-salving copout. It can also be viewd as a lack of faith in God's promise to repay in multiples any losses we may incur in the performance of good works.
    The WT argument that goes ``why paint the stern of the sinking ship when there's a huge hole in the bow?'' is nothng more than an insidious appeal to one's innate selfishness.
    Far better to light one candle --which as we were warned during wartime, could be seen for miles -- than to curse the darkness, and to make a personal statement that you worship the God that tends to the lilies of the field and the sparrows.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Proplog2,
    With all due respect, your apologia for the JW insensitivity toward the needy and suffering is lame. The obvious fact that Jehovah's witnesses are not responsible for creating the problems endemic to society does not exempt them from their Christian duty to show compassion for the less fortunate.
    Certainly no one who gives a sandwich to a starving person is under any illusion that his personal act is anything but one tiny act and will have not lasting effect on eradicating the root causes of human suffering. The reasoning that says ``we can't do much so let's not do anything'' is worse than specious -- it's a callous conscience-salving copout. It can also be viewd as a lack of faith in God's promise to repay in multiples any losses we may incur in the performance of good works.
    The WT argument that goes ``why paint the stern of the sinking ship when there's a huge hole in the bow?'' is nothng more than an insidious appeal to one's innate selfishness.
    Far better to light one candle --which as we were warned during wartime, could be seen for miles -- than to curse the darkness, and to make a personal statement that you worship the God that tends to the lilies of the field and the sparrows.

• proplog2
    proplog2

You Know:

We Know.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Proplog2:

Are any of you prepared to make the monetary contributions needed to feed, house, vaccinate, provide medical care for the poor of the world.

Yes, of course: a nickel at a time.

I have two personal rules about charitable giving (other than church):

1. The first panhandler to approach me on any given day gets one dollar.
    2. I must give to charity as much as I spend on personal adornment (perfume, jewelry and "extra" clothing). It's fun picking a charity and "catching up" in fifty-dollar chunks. The last two were the Southern Poverty Law Center and a personal case of need I happened to hear about.

Proplog, do you have any such rules? If not, why not?

Gently Feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit