Do things really always happen for a reason?

by jwfacts 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

... or do people look at things that way in order to justify what is happening in our lives, and add meaning to it?

If so is it healthy to think everything happens for a reason?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>If so is it healthy to think everything happens for a reason?

Just my opinion, but I think it's a very UNhealthy attitude. It forces you to try to make up motives for things that happen, leading to you wondering what you did wrong to make x bad thing happen. When you think that things just happen with no great overriding plan, then you're absolved from all that.

Dave

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well for me its healthy because I try to see the lesson in each thing as it comes up. Its a journey and if you can't learn from your mistakes you are bound to repeat them. As for the good things, I like to know what happened right so that we can stay on a roll.

It doesn't have to mean you are looking for someone to point the finger at, at least I don't view it that way.

Sherry

• damselfly
    damselfly

I firmly believe that life is series of random events strung together. I get irritated when people start spouting off about horrible experiences and being"tested" or "part of a master plan" .

Life is random it's how you react and learn and grow from these random events that matters.

Dams

• damselfly
    damselfly
    If so is it healthy to think everything happens for a reason?

It probably depends on the person. For some it would provide comfort, for others it might create or reinforce a passive take on their life and a lessened sense of responsibility.

Dams

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

certain things do happen for a reason. cause and effect. there are certain results that occur from certain actions. however, trying to find a reason for everything is very tiring and I think it will cause you heartache thinking you have to try to figure out some grand plan that isn't there.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

things dont happen for a reason.. they happen, then we make a reason for them... no one is sitting up there saying, dave is gonna get hit by a car today... no no no, after dave gets hit by a car, dave decides it was to make him think about whats goin on in his life and to slow it all down, smell the roses, if you will.... see we create it for ourselves...

the infamous one

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes. Things always happen for a reason. The entire cosmos is cause and effect, you may not be able to discern the reason but it is there. For instance, in human interaction things frequently happen because of stupidity, ignorance, or even intentional ignorance. But there is always a reason.

Hope that helps.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I don't think it's healthy at all to think like that. Trying to figure out the "reason" why everything happened would undoubtedly drive me insane, so I just take life as it comes, and I am comfortable with that.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well I think I'm thinking of this on a different level than you are all talking about. I don't sit and ponder on why some almighty god threw this huge calamity in my path and what could be my lesson. I'm talking on a much smaller scale. Like, "well I could have handled that better, next time I'll try to remember he/she may have had a reason to act that way".

So I'll back out now and let you all wax philosophical.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit