Semi-Fluff - What is your favourite Science Fiction Book?

by Clam 63 Replies latest social entertainment

• In Between
    In Between

Wow, cool to see some other Anne McCaffery fans here. Though honestly the only series I really got into was the Dragonriders of Pern. Don't read much Sci-Fi anymore ...

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I just read "Fresco" by Sheri Tepper, awesome book. In the book one of her characters says (to paraphrase), most of the fundy religions worship their scriptures not their god. Thats why the world is as f*cked up as it is.

I didn't read clear back through this entire thread, but if no one mentioned Neil Gaiaman, he is AWESOME. Not sure if he's SciFi or not.

When I was first getting into Science Fiction one of the most memorable things I ever read was The Weapon Shops of Isher (I think that was the name), I can't rememeber the author, maybe Vinge? One of the old timers. A great read too for old school SciFi.

I also enjoyed the Zelazny series the Chronicles of Amber. .........and oh there are ever so many many more.........

Sherry

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I used to read a lot of sci-fi but haven't read much recently. My faves were anything by Asmiov, Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, Phillip K Dick, Ray Bradbury.

The series of books that really grabbed me when I was about 12 was the Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher. I couldn't put those books down, I thought they were the best books ever. I never read them again.. wonder if they are as good as I thought they were? Anyone read those as a kid or adult maybe?

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

JeffT recommends:

Stand on Zanzibar (I just went blank on the author)

John Brunner. I liked Stand on Zanzibar when it was new, but it has dated shockingly. I wonder if The Stone That Never Came Down has held up better?

gently feral

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I loved the Foundation series by Asimov but my all time favorite hands down is Battlefield earth by L. Ron Hubbard

If I was selecting Fantasy, it would be The Lord of the Rings by JR Tolken followed by Watership Down by Richard Adams

After reading your selections, I realized that there are a lot of books I am going to purchase in the near future, many of the selection interest me. thanx

• blondie
    blondie

Philip Jose Farmer's Resurrection series

Piers Anthony Series

Isaac Asimov; Robert Heinlein; Orson Scott Card

McCaffrey's Pern/Dragon Series

The Left Hand of Darkness

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

sharon shinns series archangel, the alleluia files, jovah's angel, several more titles in the series

sci fi with a lot of religious overtones. i'd tell you who Jehovah is but it'd ruin the story.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Don't remember Title or author of the short story I am thinking of.

All these people are told they will get to go somewhere wonderful if they get on a bus thats in a barn or something and wait patiently. I forget if that is it exactly, but some get tired of waiting and say "this is nuts" leave and eventually the bus goes off to wherever was promised. I imagine it was some kind of religious allegory, but it was kind of fascinating at the time. . .like Twilight Zone is.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

Wow, lot of vintage stuff here. I loved most of them. Today I read Eric Flint, S.M. Stirling, John Ringo, Bruce Sterling and David Weber.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Love most everything from Roger Zelazny - especially The Amber series, and also I love Jack of Shadows. Damnation Alley! A great book. Dear Roger, we lost you too early! RIP Roger....

I read a few books of Clifford D. Simak - Goblin Reservation for example! That's a good one.

Philip K. Dick - Ubiq! a great book. Also read a lot of Philip Jose Farmer - The Riverworld series is good. Did he also write The World of the Tiers?

The Shannara books are all quite fine too, Terry Brooks is pretty good whatever he writes...

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit