Semi-Fluff - What is your favourite Science Fiction Book?

by Clam 63 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon
    I also would recommend a sci-fi triolgy by C.S. Lewis, the names of which are "Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength ". I really enjoyed those books.

Yes, these are great too.

I forgot to mention too the Asimov books that are 'sort of' in the Foundation universe like End of Eternity - that is a great read. All the robotic short stories (like the one I Robot stole from) are good too.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

"Ender's Game" is the best. Life's just a simulation of psychological manipulation.

Nonfiction - "Into Thin Air" - when everything can go wrong, it will when egos get in the way.

Skeeter

• blondie
    blondie

Gretchen, I have read all of McCaffrey's work, but I wouldn't call it fluff. It comes under the category of Science Fantasy.

I love Asimov, Heinlein, and Philip Jose Farmer (especially his Riverworld series). When it comes to fantasy, I also like Piers Anthony.

Gordon Dickson too.

Orson Scott Card

Greg Bear

and many more.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I have never been much into SciFi but like Joel Bear I liked Greg Bear's "Darwin's Radio". I have also read some of Michael Crichton but I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. (I received the books as xmas or birthay presents).

3rd

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Larry Niven's Ringworld

The first time I saw the game Halo it freaked me out! I kept thinking "It's Ringworld!"

• jojochan
    jojochan
    Heinlein

Yes.. I loved Starship Troopers, I loved how it expanded on their society, and their philosophies of that time period. The war with the bugs played not so much a major role, but I did'nt mind.

I'm now into Chuck Palanuick(pls forgive spelling) I have ALL of his books.

My pop's trying to get me into the whole Dune universe. I'm slowly getting into it though.

jojochan.

• Buster
    Buster

1. Macroscope, Piers Anthony (I don't think anyone mentioned this one. But it was the most intersting SciFi I ever read.)

2. Foundation series, I. Asimov

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Ender's Game

John Carter of Mars ....series by Edgar Rice Burrows

• Twitch
    Twitch

book - Dune (awesome)

movie - Blade Runner (film noir way ahead of it's time)

• apfergus
    apfergus

Am I the only Ursula K. Le Guin fan here? The Left Hand of Darkness is probably my absolute favorite, but I also liked Always Coming Home. I will always have a fondness for the books I grew up on while I was supposed to be studying the Watchtower article for that week: Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels and everything Arthur C. Clarke has ever written that I could find in print. Another favorite is the little known Dreamsnake by the similarly little known Vonda N. McIntyre.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit