Semi-Fluff - What is your favourite Science Fiction Book?

by Clam 63 Replies latest social entertainment

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Speaking of Gor... there are massive online communities that use the Gor novels as their basis... well, actually, they added 'free companions' as a possible identity - not all women want to be slaves quivering at the feet of their Master (quite why I can't imagine ), but other than that is is the full-blown Dominant/submissive thang (down to the use of H/he and S/she to refer to mixed groups of slaves and Masters and full-blown elaborate descriptions of the dances and services rendered by the slaves...

Great fun if it's your thing I suppose, but idea of someone 'typing' me a coffee fails to excite...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Larry Niven's Ringworld - and his other "Tales of Known Space"

Frank Herbert's Dune - I only read the first book of the series though. I may come back to them in the future.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation - I've read most of these - I'll have to track down the remainder some day.

I have several Robert Heinlein books that I got in a job lot. So far I've only read Job - A Comedy of Justice (which is more fantasy than sci-fi) and The Door into Summer. Both are excellent.

• joelbear
    joelbear

A Universe Between

Childhood's End

Darwin's Radio

Foundation Series

Phillip Dick short stories

Slaughterhouse Five

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

My mother always said that sci-fi was, "GOD DISHONERING."

But she didn't forbid it.

BTW "I have no mouth but i must scream" is an awesome short story.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Such a tough question. I do second Ray Bradbury, especially "Martian Chronicles" (although the miniseries was not so great), "Illustrated Man", "S is for Space", and others. He recently wrote "From the Dust Returned" which ties together and completes "Addams family" series of stories (he was good friends with Addams, and stories such as "The April Witch" and "Uncle Einar" were probably inspired by conversations with Addams). However, the very best science fiction novel I've ever read was perhaps "Contact" by Carl Sagan. Wonderful movie as well.

• proplog2
    proplog2

I read very little fiction. But I did enjoy World of Null-A by Van Vogt.

It is based on General Semantics.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Everyones covered about everything...I would add Edgar Rice Burroughs and Otis Aldelbert Kline...two old time sci-fantsy writers...amongst all their other writing...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and everything else Douglas Adams ever wrote.

The few sci-fi books I've read have been disappointments, so I'm glad to have this great list of recommendations to pick from. I'll give these a shot!

Dave

• JUG
    JUG

My favorite sciencefiction series are: the weel of time, paragon, and shanarah, and just books: the golden queen, and beyowolfs children.

• Simon
    Simon

I would also vote for the whole Asimov universe - from the Caves of Steel all the way through to the foundation series and everything in between. He really was the master of sci-fi. They are damn good books just to read even if you don't like the genre and once you have read them you will like it!

I like Dune too although it goes a bit (a lot) wierd after the first book. His other books were quite strange - I remember ready Helstroms Hive (I think it was) and The White Plague.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit