Semi-Fluff - What is your favourite Science Fiction Book?

by Clam 63 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

LittleRockGuy that was such an AWESOME book! Do read it again and when you read the part about the planets under the cloud, think the WTS control. Gives that book a whole different and spooky twist.

Sherry

• daystar
    daystar

As much as Scientology revolts me, I really did love L.Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game was great, even though I don't agree with certain of Card's philosophical premises (that the horrendous results of Ender's actions were nonetheless forgiveable because it was not his intention to have done so.)

But my favorite has still got to be Stranger in a Strange Land.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The first Dune book, and Asimov's Foundation series. I also enjoyed Ender's Game, but the next five books in the series did not hold up as well.

• james_woods
    james_woods

For me, anything by I.Asimov, Ray Bradbury, H.G.Wells, or Jules Verne. And should we not forget, a lot of literature people think that Edgar Allen Poe may have started this genre along with the detective story in the first place. Asimov was also a terrific popular factual science writer.

My favorites of these: H.G.Wells, three short stories - "The Crystal Egg", "The Late Mr. Elvesham", and "In the Avu Observatory".

I am not much up on the current works (say post-1950 or so), but I think the Star Trek guy Gene Roddenberry was more than just pretty good...I heard he also wrote the B&W tv series "Have Gun will Travel".

James

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

You all are reminding me of books i think are great... Asimov is the best, his commentary on the bible is excellent as well. (nice as its coming from the perspective of an agnostic humanist..)

Card and Herbert. Loved Dune but my favorite was Man of two worlds... (i think that was the title the one with the alien that was addicted to Basil..) Also Stranger in a Strange Land. Or any other by RH, He is the author that convinced me poloygamy was ok...

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Asimov is great. But now I am reading "the light of other days" from Sir Clark. Nice book so far.... (I like Clarke very much)

• Dune
    Dune

Dune of course.

I dont know if it counts but i also love the wheel of time series. Its basically the only novels i've really been reading for the past 3 years (along with a few odds and ends).

• JeffT
    JeffT

Anything by Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Niven and Pournelle.

All time best: Stand on Zanzibar (I just went blank on the author)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The Chronicles of Gor

Awsome books...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Oh don't get me started!

In no particular order, Asimov, in general, but Foundation series and Caves of Steel trilogy the most. Harrison, Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld, Clarke, Heinlein (just read 'Doors of Summer', really good book... I suppose one potential 'fave' Sci-Fi book is 'Stranger in a Stranger Land', but I want to be Lazarus Long. Julian May, Many Coloured Land and Galactic Mellieu series. McCaffery - Pern, 'Ship Who Sang'. Real hard Sci-Fi like 'Mote in a God Eye' by Niven and Pournelle. 'Lucifer's Hammer' was good too. Herbert, Dune.

Love it... of course, my parents loathed it, but go figure...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit