Dick Cheney involved in a shooting

by IP_SEC 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I saw this in the news paper today. Busted a gut laughing.

Reuters.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House was bombarded with questions on Monday about why it failed to go public with news that Vice President Dick Cheney shot a fellow quail hunter until the day after the accident.

The victim, Harry Whittington, 78, took pellets in his cheek, neck and chest when Cheney fired his shotgun while aiming for a bird during a hunt in southern Texas on Saturday, and was in stable condition at a Corpus Christi hospital.

Whittington was moved out of intensive care on Monday afternoon but Peter Banko, administrator of Christus Spohn Hospital, said he did not know when he would be discharged.

"His condition continues to be stable ... it's not critical, it's not serious. He's in stable condition, doing extremely well," Banko said.

The accident happened about 5:30 p.m. on a private ranch about 200 miles south of San Antonio, where the vice president has hunted previously. Whittington was treated on the scene by Cheney's travelling medical detail before being taken by helicopter to the hospital.

The accident was not reported publicly by the vice president's office until Sunday afternoon and then only after an account provided by the ranch's owner appeared on the Web site of the local newspaper, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times.

In a testy exchange with reporters on Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan faced dozens of questions about the propriety of a private citizen making public a shooting incident involving the vice president and whether Cheney had followed White House protocol.

McClellan said President George W. Bush and senior aides were first told by staff in the Situation Room that there had been an accident in Cheney's hunting party and that the president learnt later on Saturday night that the vice president had been the shooter.

"I think he was informed in a relatively reasonable time," McClellan said at the news briefing.

A LONG STORY

McClellan said the vice president's staff did not tell reporters about the accident on Saturday because they were concerned about getting Whittington medical attention and were still gathering facts.

Cheney and the owner of the property, Katharine Armstrong, then agreed that she should provide the information to the public about an accident that happened on her ranch.

"The vice president spoke with Mrs. Katharine Armstrong, and they agreed that she should make that information public," McClellan said. "She was an eyewitness. She saw what occurred and she called her local paper to provide those facts."

Armstrong said it wasn't until Sunday that she telephoned the Caller-Times. She did not notify the national media or the White House press corps.

McClellan declined to say if he was satisfied with the way it was handled.

"You can always look back at these issues and look at how to do a better job," he said.

McClellan said he found out that Cheney was involved at 6 a.m. on Sunday and urged that information be made available as quickly as possible.

According to Armstrong's account, she saw the incident from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter, identified by the Caller-Times on Monday as U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein Pam Willeford, got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

As Whittington went to retrieve a bird he had shot, Cheney and Willeford spotted a second covey.

Whittington came up behind and failed to signal that he was there or announce himself, which is proper protocol for hunters. Cheney, an experienced hunter, fired his shotgun without realising that Whittington had approached the group.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Cheney Violates Cardinal Rule of Hunting

AP - 1 hour, 40 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney apparently broke the No. 1 rule of hunting: be sure of what you're shooting at. Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas. Hunting safety experts interviewed Monday agreed it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself -- something he apparently didn't do, according to a witness. But they stressed that the shooter is responsible for knowing his surroundings and avoiding hitting other people.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Apparently, Cheney saw the quail as WMD and started shooting before all the intelligence was in.

• Buster
    Buster

Of course all us gun guys are shaking our heads with a sigh and a 'what a dope.'

But if you hunt upland birds long enough, you'll see it happen. If I heard correctly, the victim was trying to catch up with the lead party when they flushed some birds. You cannot do that without announcing to the group you are trying to join. The joiner must watch closely because the group doesn't know he is there and birds can take flight at any time.

Of course the shooter is responsible for knowing his target and the surroundings. But once the birds are in the air, focus shifts. Quail will explode into any which direction. The person trying to join the group took quite a risk.

That being said, a word or two about bird shot: They were probably shooting shells with #7 or #7-1/2 lead shot fired at about 1200 fps. Those are small pellets, much smaller than the standard BB of a BB-gun. The small lead shot loses speed quickly and the guns are built to disperse the lead into a wide pattern.

Though not a pleasant experience, shot that small can only be dangerous at close range.

By the way, that is why we wear glasses.

Anyway, what a dope.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

So when did this happen and how long did it take to "gather the facts"?

• slugga
    slugga

was the victim a muslim?

lol

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

nope ...fellow Texan

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    you'll see it happen

It happened to me buster, thats why I could laugh. Prolly the same thing that happened to me, the guy was drinking

I didnt have the money to go to the hospital, didnt really need to anyhow. Yes, this happens probably fairly frequently/

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

ABC News reported that it took 21 hours for this story to be released to the Corpus Christi news. Whitehouse spokesman said that it was the ranch owner's job to release the story. It is also reported that Mr. Cheney did not have the appropriate endorsement on his hunting permit.

I guess rank has it's privilege. Had this been Joe Sixpack, the DNR would have confiscated their equipment, and pulled their hunting liscense. I wonder if the release of the story to the media will eventually be called a 'leak'.

• slugga
    slugga
    I didnt have the money to go to the hospital, didnt really need to anyhow. Yes, this happens probably fairly frequently/

You are walking about with buckshot in you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit