What is the big deal about Valentines Day?

by damselfly 47 Replies latest social relationships

• babs
    babs

Thank You Sparky (I Think) Happy Valentine Day!!!

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

babs,

That is the BEST description of people sharing Valentine's Day that I have ever read . . .much love to you and yours !

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, I've been reading your comments, I am not a JW, My daughter is dating a boy at school who is a JW and he always talks about not celebrating Holidays, and what they believe and don't believe because of their JW faith. I wanted to find a website that I could see (for Myself) the JW beliefs, I thought is this for real? My Family enjoys celebrating Valentines Day, because it is a day we go out a buy the children a rose, and a big heart box of candy, I remember as a kid it was a special treat to get a big heart, then we would save the box for special mementos and notes. We would also save the cards to read over and over throughout the year. I enjoyed looking at the cards because they were so victorian and romantic looking, especially the vintage cards. I also enjoy cooking a special meal on this day, setting the table especially nice with valentine decorations and eating by candlelight. The children enjoy this and believe me with children it's nice to have a special day out of the year to treat them with flowers and candy and let them know they are sweethearts. My husband and I celebrate also by giving each other flowers and a piece of jewelry which I would not want to do a daily, weekly or monthly basis but a couple times a year when a special Holiday or Our Anniversary rolls around it's nice. I believe we enjoy the days that are not Holidays by going camping, going out to eat, going to the mountains, horseback riding, shopping, visiting family and friends, having friends over, going to Theme Parks etc. I would like to sum this up by saying I believe a person can celebrate a special holiday and still be a sweetheart every day,and I would not want the candy, flowers or the all out extra effort everyday.

Welcome to the board, babs!!

I couldn't have put it better myself, that's exactly what Valentine's Day is to me. I'm also not a JW, nor is anyone in my family, but my boyfriend is, and I still can't understand how he can think that having a special day to celebrate love and happiness is wrong, but he does.

You're absolutely right to want to celebrate Valentine's Day and any other holiday with your family, you shouldn't question why you do that or think that it's wrong to do it, because I think that having special occasions with your family is a beautiful thing. I hope that your daughter's JW boyfriend doesn't make you feel guilty about your special occasions and celebrations just because he believes that it's wrong to have holidays.

Thanks for your post, it explains Valentine's Day and other holidays perfectly.

Stick around the board, there's lots of great people here!!

-Becka :)

• babs
    babs

Becca, Tigerman and Sparky, ThankYou for the warm welcome, I feel Loved!!!!!! You guys sound great and I look forward to getting to know you.I wish you and your families Love and Happiness on Valentines Day!!!! Babs

• damselfly
    damselfly

Welcome Babs!

That's such a sweet thing to do for your children on Valentines Day.

Dams

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yay Babs! Welcome, and great sentiments. I remember the JWs always denegrating the holidays, like Thanksgiving and such by saying "we should be thankful all year, not just on that day". Christmas of course was the same sort of thing. People putting a hardship on themselves to buy presents, when they should be showing affection etc. all year. To me it was just a way to make us feel superior, and less left out of the loop. I am a holiday nut! now. Of course we love all year, and are thankful all year, but how nice to have a day where you can set aside some time, to really focus on each other. Family, honey, friends, (chicks in the bar Tet). And heck, how many occasions does a poor JW have for gift giving??

• jojochan
    jojochan

YYYAAAYYYYY!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum babs!

About Valentines day...I'm glad that it's OVER. now I don't hurt so bad.

jojochan.

• daystar
    daystar
    I think diamonds are ugly, I don't like gold, flowers die and if want chocolate I'll buy it myself thanks.

Marry me...

Honestly what I want for Valentines Day is for him to start being financially responsible and pick up after himself.

Seriously, if he wasn't financially responsible and tidy before you started dating him, don't expect him to change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit