What is the big deal about Valentines Day?

by damselfly 47 Replies latest social relationships

• damselfly
    damselfly

Happy V-Day Balls. enjoy your bike and your break from school.

Dams

• serendipity
    serendipity

Since I'm still a nominal JW, the last time I celebrated V day was in 3rd grade. However, due to the media brainwashing, even I succumbed to an "expectation" to a degree. I went to a '"casual dining' restaurant alone accompanied by a good book, on a V day and saw all the couples there, some of the woman with roses. It was a most miserable meal and I had never been so acutely aware of my "aloneness". I've since learned not to go out on that day.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

tee hee hee -- dams, excellent advice. in the mirror first! yes.... ha ha!

lola:

sparkplug:

becka: serendipity:

ballistic: ...er, i mean: - hah! cheers mate...

TS

• lola28
    lola28

-tetra I just think you are great!

lola

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Aww, thank you Tetra, that's the only love I'll be getting from a guy for Valentine's Day.

So, right back at ya.

-Becka :)

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

tetrapod.sapien- Tetra of the lonely hearts club. Keeping all the Hotties company on V-Day! Cheers Tetra!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Thanks Tet! back at you.

• sandy
    sandy

I hate the holiday too. Is it even a holiday? I hate the pressure to buy things for people to show you love them. It's all a bunch of nonesense. The everyday little things and the unexpected surprises are enough for me. I don't need or want to wait on a holiday for affection.

• babs
    babs

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, I've been reading your comments, I am not a JW, My daughter is dating a boy at school who is a JW and he always talks about not celebrating Holidays, and what they believe and don't believe because of their JW faith. I wanted to find a website that I could see (for Myself) the JW beliefs, I thought is this for real? My Family enjoys celebrating Valentines Day, because it is a day we go out a buy the children a rose, and a big heart box of candy, I remember as a kid it was a special treat to get a big heart, then we would save the box for special mementos and notes. We would also save the cards to read over and over throughout the year. I enjoyed looking at the cards because they were so victorian and romantic looking, especially the vintage cards. I also enjoy cooking a special meal on this day, setting the table especially nice with valentine decorations and eating by candlelight. The children enjoy this and believe me with children it's nice to have a special day out of the year to treat them with flowers and candy and let them know they are sweethearts. My husband and I celebrate also by giving each other flowers and a piece of jewelry which I would not want to do a daily, weekly or monthly basis but a couple times a year when a special Holiday or Our Anniversary rolls around it's nice. I believe we enjoy the days that are not Holidays by going camping, going out to eat, going to the mountains, horseback riding, shopping, visiting family and friends, having friends over, going to Theme Parks etc. I would like to sum this up by saying I believe a person can celebrate a special holiday and still be a sweetheart every day,and I would not want the candy, flowers or the all out extra effort everyday.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

hi Babs...I hope you dont mind but I started a new welcome thread for you....Welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit