What book are you reading now?

by Dimples 68 Replies latest jw friends

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Memoirs of a Geisha

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Mulan:

I read all of her books years and years ago. Remind me what that one is about?

I got the title wrong it's The Queen's Confession

This is an exerpt off amazon.com better written than I could come up with:

Victoria Holt was one of my favorite authors when I was younger. A master storyteller, she would consistently weave a story that would have the reader turning the pages. This work of historical fiction is one of her best. Riveting from beginning to end, this fictional autobiographical account of the life of Marie Antoinette is superb. Written in the first person, with little dialogue, it is the rumination of a life that was to end tragically. Pampered, spoiled, and fun loving, the beautiful Maria Antonia of Austria metamorphosed into Marie Antoinette of France upon her marriage to the Dauphin, who would eventually become King of France, the ineffectual, but benign, Louis XVI.

This is her story, grounded in historical fact and set within the framework of history. This work of fiction about the life of Marie Antoinette, as seen through her own eyes, is fascinating, as it captures the flavor of those uncertain times and the events that led to the French Revolution and the end of the monarchy in France. It is a reflection on how Marie Antoinette's own behavior influenced the fate of France. Indulging in the excesses of the day, she initially gave little thought as to how her actions might affect the people of France or the monarchy. By the time she realized that her actions and excesses had wide spread political ramifications, it was too late, and the fate of her and her husband was sealed. No amount of personal regret could change it.

This book will be enjoyed by those who enjoy good, well written historical fiction. It is little wonder that this book spent two months on the New York Times Best Seller List. It is simply historical fiction at its best.

Does this ring a bell? Oh and did you know Victoria Holt wrote under other names too? Philippa Carr , Jean Plaidy , Eleanor Hibbert are all her.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

2 books now: cell by stephen king, 102 minutes-the untold story of the fight to survive inside the twin towers by jim dwyer and kevin flynn

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I read The Lovely Bones. I liked it okay, but the end was disappointing. I'd have written a more satisfying ending... for the serial killer and for the book itself.

I am reading several books:

• 1. Chick Soup for the Unsinkable Soul
    • 2. Super Foods: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life by Steven Pratt M.D.
    • 3. Life Beyond Death from Reader's Digest
    • 4. Talking to Heaven by James Van Praagh

• The first because it's uplifting and encouraging.
    • The second because I've been looking for just such a sensable book on nutrition and these are foods I love. I want to be healthier.
    • The third because of my discomfort with the thought of death. I find it encouraging until they get to reincarnation. I don't like the idea of it at all. Near Death Experiences or Death Bed Experiences are quite intriguing though.
    • Talking to Heaven is interesting, but James believes in strict Karma and reincarnation. His views on suicide are hard to swallow. He seems to be still influenced by his Catholic roots when it comes to suicide.
  • jonsey
    jonsey

The Exceptional Presenter - Timothy Koegel

MJ

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Awakening Of A Jehovah's Witness - Diane Wilson.

• juni
    juni

Am reading "S" for Silence by Sue Grafton. It's her latest. Good so far. Also, Crisis of Conscience. I read a lot - especially mysteries. I keep a notebook of the authors and their books I've read otherwise I can't keep it straight.

If your like murder mysteries, Lisa Scottoline is an excellent writer. Also, Faye Kellerman and Jonathan Kellerman, Stuart Woods, Robt. B. Parker, Sanford, James Patterson, Ridley Pearson, Richard N. Patterson, Dennis LeHane, Harlan Coben, Eric Garci (Matchstick Men), Perri O'Shaunessey, Catherine Coulter, Michael Connelly, Nicholas Sparks, Brenda Joyce, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg, Patricia Cornwell, Jon Salem (Remember September), Jeff Abbot, Mary Higgins Clark, James Grippando, Fern Michaels, Sandra Brown, and I think that's it.

I ask friends for recommendations and just try it out.

Also read Diane Wilson's book. Very good. Could relate throughout.

Hope it helps someone out there to try some of these authors. It's fun to read and not feel guilty reading fiction and not spending the time reading the Society's literature all the time. They always discouraged reading other material. Only if you had all of your Bible reading and lit. reading done and studied, but then if you had the time you should be out in service and if you had oodles of time you should be pioneering. Really, from their standpoint you'd never be able to read anything else!!

Juni

Ju

• delilah
    delilah

I read "The Lovely Bones about 4 years ago, my daughter brought it home. I liked it, as I had never read anything like it before, someone's story from the "other side", you know?

I'm currently reading Crisis Of Conscience, and can hardly put it down. I discuss it with my husband, and with every page, I am more conviced, that the organization is not headed by God.

• Swan
    Swan

I too am reading S is for Silence by Sue Grafton, and in another room of the house I am reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon.

Juni:

If you like mysteries and Kinsey Milhone, try the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr. Also, I highly recommend the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

Tammy

• daystar
    daystar

I decided to take a break from all the all too serious stuff I normally read. Since I just picked up book V of Stephen King's Dark Tower series of books, I started back with book I.

Every time he comes out with another of the series, I have to start back from the beginning because he waits five frickin' years to release each one! *sigh* But I love the books...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit