What book are you reading now?

by Dimples 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Dimples
    Dimples

I just stated reading a book called "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. I am beginning chapter 3. Here is the excerpt from the inside cover:

When we first meet Susie Salmon, she is already in heaven. As she looks down from this strange new place, she tells us, in the fresh and spirited voice of a fourteen-year-old girl, a tale that is both haunting and full of hope.

In the weeks following her death, Susie watches life on Earth continuing without her-her school friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her family holding out hope that she'll be found, her killer trying to cover his tracks. As months pass without leads, Susie sees her parents' marriage being contorted by loss, her sister hardening herself in an effort to stay strong, and her little brother trying to grasp the meaning of the word gone.

And she explores the place called heaven. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. There are counselors to help newcomers adjust and friends to room with. Everything she ever wanted appears as soon as she thinks of it-except the thing she most wants: to be back with the people she loved on Earth.

With compassion, longing, and a growing understanding, Susie sees her loved ones pass through grief and begin to mend. Her father embarks on a risky quest to ensnare her killer. Her sister undertakes a feat of remarkable daring. And the boy Susie cared for moves on, only to find himself at the center of a miraculous event.

The Lovely Bones is luminous and astonishing, a novel that builds out of grief the most hopeful of stories. In the hands of a brilliant new writer, this story of the worst thing a family can face is transformed into a suspenseful and even funny novel about love, memory, joy, heaven, and healing.

So, what book are you reading?

DIMPLES

• damselfly
    damselfly

That book is on my "to read" list. Between school and work I don't have a lot of spare time but I did just finish The Seven Daughters of Eve; The Science That Reaveals Our Genetic Ancestry. By Bryan Sykes.

I thought it was pretty interesting and it pretty much assured that I'm going on to study genetics at some point. Basically it's our mitochondrial DNA ( from our mothers ) that links us genetically thru generations. Quite a contrast with the cultural link thru generations with our paternally transferred surnames.

Dams

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Everyday at work I am reading and reading and reading, so many books I cant even begin to list them.

But when I am at home I still love to read so anything which isnt too deep or is not related to work in any way is brilliant.

Currently reading Fox Pool, by Rob Maylin; I hope it will rejuvenate my enthusiasm to get my fishing rods back out of the garage and put them to good use.

DB74

• lola28
    lola28

I was reading a book by my fave journalist, there was only one problem, the book is in Spanish. I speak Spanish fluently but I can't read it very well, so i had to put it down.

lola

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

This one Captive Hearts, Captive Minds/Take Back Your Life - very slowly.

BTW Chapters 1 - 3 are complete and posted and Chapter 4 part 1 is posted

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I've just started a new college semester so my main reading at the moment is 'Penguin History of the Reformation' by owen Chadwick and 'Greek Grammar beyond the basics' by Daniel Wallace.

In my free time, I'm reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov'

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Oh, just some really light, breezy stuff.........

The Cosmic Serpent - DNA and the Origins of Knowledge by Jeremy Narby

In a first person narrative of scientific discovery that opens new perspectives on biology, anthropology, and the limits of rationalism, Jeremy Narby reveals how startlingly different the world around us appears when we open our minds to it.

Jeremy Narby, PH.D., grew up in Canada and Switzerland, studied history at the University of Canterbury, and received his doctorate in anthropology from Stanford University.

DMT The Spirit Molecule - A Doctor's Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences by Rick Strassman, MD

From 1990 to 1995 Dr. Rick Strassman conducted DEA-approved clinical research at the University of New Mexico in which he injected sixty volunteers with DMT, one of the most powerful psychedelics known. His detailed account of these sessions is an extraordinarily riveting inquiry into the nature of the human mind and the therapeutic potential of psychedelics. DMT, a plant-derived chemical that is also manufactured by the human brain, consistently produced near-death and mystical experiences.

Strassman's research connects DMT with the pineal gland, considered by Hindus to be the site of the seventh chakra and by Rene Descartes to be the seat of the soul.

Rick Strassman, MD, is a Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

James Patterson's book "3rd Degree" , easy read to past the time while sitting in hospital surgical waiting rooms. Now I'm starting "Roses are Red".

• geevee
    geevee

Combatting Cult Mind Control, by Steven Hassan.
    Many of you have probably read it, but wow.....moonies, JW's....the control is the same, istead of selling candles and crap, we used to sell magazines, books and crap...

• anewme
    anewme

I am reading the life story of Benjamin Franklin.

He was very opposed to the Puritan controlling religions of his day.

He slept around with unmarried women.

He had an illegitimate child named William who he adopted.

He was the first to promote "put a basket over her head" in counsel to younger men about older women lovers.

He lived with a common law wife for years and had a daughter "Sally Franklin" with her.

He was a very free individual and you will be delighted to read the full disclosure now available about his life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit