What book are you reading now?

by Dimples 68 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

The biography of Jung, he was a brilliant psychologist who did not believe in God but he believed in the vital importance of religion and its symbolisms for the psychological wellbeing of man. The priest was the best healer of the soul not the psychologist.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I also wanted to get an astronomy/physics/nature of the universe type book while I was at the library but the fruits of my loin started to get a bit rambunctious and my 2 year old son even had a librarian lecture him about not running in the library (mind you he was in the fenced in childrens section). Should'nt she have been praising him for even being in a library in stead of sitting in front of a TV?

• serendipity
    serendipity
    The priest was the best healer of the soul not the psychologist.

I wonder if Catholics believe that? I wonder if JWs would say the elders are the best healers of the soul....

• Huxley
    Huxley

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

Yummy book fun!

• Mulan
    Mulan

The Constant Princess, by Phillippa Gregory. It's about the life of Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's first wife. She is the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain............that was news to me.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I just finished reading 'Memoirs Of A Geisha' the other day and started reading 'Dragon Tears' by Dean Koontz last night. MOAG was a good read, but I can't seem to get into Dragon Tears for some reason.

I've been looking around for 'The Da Vinci Code' but can't find it anywhere. Must be sold out, so I guess I need to go to Amazon and order it.

Any suggestions for a good romance novel?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I got "Killjoy" for Christmas. It was a good romance novel, full of intrigue too. The author is Julie Garwood.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Other than textbooks (which I rarely read anyway ;) I just finished A Civil Action and am now starting The Devil in the White City.
    Both are excellent.
    "Any suggestions for a good romance novel?" - Phantom by Susan Kay. I'm not one to read romance novels, but that is hands down one of the best books I've ever read.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh boy I have a shelf or more full of books I've yet to read and some time on my hands so I'm really looking forward to getting some fun reading done.

Right now I'm reading Dr. Laura's latest book "Bad Childhood, Good Life" her style of writting isn't the greatest and I can honestly say so far I'm a bit dissappointed cuz I haven't been eager to pick it up and read it and when I do I usually wake up with my face in the book. I think the material is just so pase for me now.

DIMPLES;

I've tried reading that book "Lovely Bones" several times and just couldn't get into it. I kept hearing what a good read it was, maybe I'll try it again, thanks for the write up. If I remember it was written about a real experience?

anewme:

Wow I never knew that stuff about Benjamin Franklin! I might go to the Libaray and check that one out it sounds good.

Terry Pratchett's, Good Omens also sounds like a good read, it will go on my must read list too.

Top Hat:

"Illustrious Exile" written by Andrew Lindsay sounds good too, going on the list!

fullofdoubtnow: Crisis of Conscience is a must read for all JW's IMHO! You will be glad you've read that one. In Search of Christian Freedom I have head this one is good and we have that book but somehow the whole aspect of replacing my X religion with another doesn't interest me, I doubt I will ever read it, but I don't want to discourage you from reading it as it is highly recommended by others, just my own personal taste. Sherry:

VERY good read! Terry Pratchett actually co-wrote that with Neil Gaiman. Anything by either of those two authors is guaranteed to be a great read.

Sherry

Good to know, I'll look for those authors. Mulan:
    The Constant Princess, by Phillippa Gregory. It's about the life of Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's first wife. She is the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain............that was news to me.
    That sounds like a good read also! It sorta reminds me of an old clasic I read years ago and highly recommend if you like that sorta historic romantic novel type of book. It's Confessions of a Queen, by Victoria Holt. Good read! WildHorses:

I just finished reading 'Memoirs Of A Geisha' the other day and started reading 'Dragon Tears' by Dean Koontz last night. MOAG was a good read, but I can't seem to get into Dragon Tears for some reason.

I've been looking around for 'The Da Vinci Code' but can't find it anywhere. Must be sold out, so I guess I need to go to Amazon and order it.

That book Memoirs Of A Geisha is on my list. Koontz is a favorite author of mine as well but I haven't read Dragon Tears. DaVinci Code wasn't that terribly interesting to me but I sloshed thorough it. I also would love to read a good romance novel. I have on my night table "Good In Bed" by Jennifer Weiner I haven't gotten too far into it to tell if it's going to get better.....same with the Nanny Diaries, slow and boring so far. Ugg too many books to read! LOL
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The Singularity Is Near : When Humans Transcend Biology

by Ray Kurzweil

Here is a website about the book... http://www.singinst.org/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit