Guys and flowers, whadda ya think??

by Super_Becka 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Alright, I'm looking for some opinions from the male portion of our JWD audience.

I'm in a long-distance relationship, like I've said here a million times before, so doing special things for my guy is kinda hard. Not only is it long-distance, it's international, too. We're 3500 miles apart and I'm a starving student, so I can't just swing by for a visit to do something special for him on the fly.

Last semester, I sent him a bunch of flowers in his favourite colour, a special "I miss you" bouquet from a local florist that I found online. Everything went perfectly, the florist delivered same-day, the price wasn't too horrible and the bouquet turned out nice, but I had a hard time reading my guy's reaction to it. Granted, I had the flowers sent on a day when he was in bed because he had to work that night, but that was the only time I knew he'd be around for sure - I didn't want the delivery guy to show up when he wasn't and then have to call him and let the cat out of the bag, it was supposed to be a surprise for him.

And it was, he was surprised, but I don't know if it was a good "surprise" or not. Sure, he thanked me for them and all of that, and he told his parents about it (his mom was very impressed, by the way), then he proceeded to tell me about how the guys at work thought it was really weird that his girlfriend has sent him some flowers.

I'm not the only nutcase that gives her guy flowers on occasion - one of my roommates has her long-distance boyfriend visiting her this week and she showed up at the airport to pick him up with a big bouquet of flowers, and I think he was happy about it.

I want to send him flowers again this semester, just because I miss him... and his apartment could really use some colour. I've found the perfect bouquet to send him, nothing too frilly and girly - it's just a clear vase with 10 purple tulips (purple is his favourite colour), no ribbons or bows or anything like that. Just a plain vase with some tulips, that's all.

So, gentlemen of JWD, how would you feel about your girlfriend/wife giving you flowers?? Would you think that it's too girly for you?? Would you feel like that giving flowers was your job, not hers?? What do you think of girls sending flowers to guys??

I remember reading once that a lot of guys would really appreciate having their girlfriends/wives send them flowers, but I don't know how accurate that is.

So guys, whadda ya think??

-Becka :)

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My wife has bought flowers for me in the past and although I loved the thought I think that I much rather would have prefered a new pocket knife or flashlight. But hey, thats just me.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Okay. What can you do with them? Can you eat them, use them for repairs, or plug them into your games console?

No? Then I'm afraid I wouldn't really know what to do with them.

The thought is nice, and I'm sure there's a vase around here someplace. The reply might likely be "aww shucks, ya shouldn't have!" And I'd mean it

• poppers
    poppers

Personally, I'd love it if a girlfriend sent me flowers. The beauty of flowers reflects the feeling between cherished ones more pristinely than utilitarian gifts.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    I loved the thought I think that I much rather would have prefered a new pocket knife or flashlight.
    What can you do with them? Can you eat them, use them for repairs, or plug them into your games console?

Fair enough. OK guys, what's your best advice, then?? I want to send him something, but shopping for men is just so damn hard!!

I thought flowers because they're easy, they look good, they have some colour (my guy's apartment is ALL WHITE, as is his wardrobe, I'm not kidding), and if you don't like them, they shrivel up and die and then you can toss them out.

My guy is a computer geek beyond all reason, he has no social life at all (he's a JW, of course he doesn't have a social life), he doesn't repair anything beyond computers, and if there's something he needs, like the new LED flashlight he paid a fortune for last summer, he buys it himself. He's a gamer, but he's a PC gamer, whereas I'm a console gamer, so I can't get him something game-related, he already has it all and I wouldn't know where to start anyway. He's not a handyman, he's not a car buff or anything like that, he's just a nerd.

So, no flowers, then. What else would be a good idea for him??

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Personally, I'd love it if a girlfriend sent me flowers. The beauty of flowers reflects the feeling between cherished ones more pristinely than utilitarian gifts.

Ahh poppers, I love the way you think!! That's more along the lines of what I was thinking, flowers are just a little more personal than a new tool or video game controller or something like that.

Plus, if he doesn't like them, he doesn't have to keep them forever and pretend that he likes them, he can toss them when they wilt.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

• A tin of paint and a paintbrush - thought that might be seen as a move on his territory.
    • Some boxershorts - though that might be seen as forward.
    • Some chocolates - though that might be seen as droipping a hint that either you want chocolates, or he needs fattening up.

Look, ya can't win. It's no easier for us guys, either...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ok, look at the avatars...

How many are pics of themselves, sexy women, scifi heroes, or something just plain strange. Then compare to how many have lurid fluorescent divas and talk about liking to receive flowers.

Then see if the posts of the latter type do or don't include stuff to do with mechanics, computers, gaming, fitness, and/or other "macho" stuff.

Assess your significant other in the light of these observations, and buy accordingly.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    • A tin of paint and a paintbrush - thought that might be seen as a move on his territory.

Precisely, though I've had his mom beg me to take him shopping for some furniture and paint to brighten up his place a little. I think I'll leave the redecorating until I move in.

• Some boxershorts - though that might be seen as forward.

Hmm, he likes the concept of being "forward", believe me. Still, he's not really a boxers kind of guy. And I don't really know what size to get for him, he's really skinny.

• Some chocolates - though that might be seen as droipping a hint that either you want chocolates, or he needs fattening up.

Hehehe, I've given him chocolate, and he's given me chocolate. He does need fattening up, though, and I've told him this on several occasions, he's so thin that he makes me self-conscious, I feel like a whale standing next to him!! The thing is, he already eats vast quantities of food and never gains an ounce - he has really high metabolism. Lucky bastard.

Look, ya can't win. It's no easier for us guys, either...

Oh, I disagree, you guys get it way too easy!! Girls are so easy to shop for and we just like it when guys buy us stuff. Something soft and cuddly, or roses, or something sweet, preferably chocolates, or jewelry, that's always good. And hey, we don't even complain when you buy us naughty lingerie that we know is more for your benefit than ours.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Sweet cheeks don't get yer panties in a bunch!

Old saying; "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" = FOOD!

Make some of that home made fudge from the back of the Nestle Chocolate Morsels wrapper, the one you add that mushy marshmallow cream to. Yummy! Lay it out flat and cut it out with heart shaped cookie cutters. Put a cute heart shaped candy on top of each piece and pack it all nicely in a sturdy but manly box or tin and send it to him with a nice card.

Guys don't care about the way their apartments are decorated or what their clothes look like and believe me honey if you had a guy that did and he fussed a lot over how things like that looked you would give him up for being gay! Think about it, it's the opposite things that attract us in the first place. He knows damn well that his place will look great and so will his clothes when his woman is there to fix them up. You may not be the woman, he may not be the guy, this may not be the place but it all comes together eventually.

Don't put the cart before the horse, relax hun and just enjoy being a girlfriend and let him be a guy.

Happy cookin!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit