Your favorite fictional literary character

by daystar 58 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mum
    Mum

Atticus Finch is the first to come to mind. Jean Valjean is also a huge favorite.

One that hasn't been mentioned so far: the enterprising Wu Chow's auntie in James Michener's Hawaii

Others are Jane Eyre, Becky Sharp (Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice and others in classics. I love the classics.

Regards,

SandraC

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

My favorite fictional character is JT Leroy, author of Sarah and The Heart is Desperate Above All Things.

GentlyFeral

• Brigid
    Brigid

"...'All shall love me and despair!' She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illuminated her alone and left her along and left all else dark...Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly, she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad. 'I pass the test,' she said. I will diminish and go into the west and remain Galadriel.' "

I know I flatter myself but she's my guide and inspiration. I hope when the time comes for me to behold the raw and terrible power within, I pass the test...

~Brigid (struggling with megalomania! )

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Midget-Sasquatch,

Dorothy Dunnett's writing style took a little getting used to,

Oh, I absolutely loved Crawford of Lymond, all six volumes.

Otherwise, I always go for the smart, skinny darkhaired guys :)

Mowgli, The Jungle BookThomas Builds-the-Fire, Smoke Signals (based on Sherman Alexie's The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Thomas's charm is much more apparent in the movie)

Lipsha Morrisey, Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich

GentlyFeral

Edited to add: Odd Thomas, title character of the novel by Dean Koontz. Same template, but psychic, too

• daystar
    daystar

brigid

I loved Galadriel from the books. When I saw what they did with her in the film, I swooned. I had chills all over.

• Calliope
    Calliope

i don't have a picture, but i identify with ... pause for effect ... Holden Caulfield. there are probably others. i'll have to give this some thought. Calliopé

• Brigid
    Brigid

Daystar,

Blessings

~Brigid

• rebel8
    rebel8

Brer Rabbit, who used psychology to outsmart enemies and who escaped!

Sherlock Holmes would be my 2nd choice, because he used science to get justice. (See a pattern here?)

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Oh I just adored Anne of Green Gables when I was growing up.... And also her daughter Rilla of Ingleside. When I get in one of those moments where everything is just gorgeous and adorable I bring out my two favourite child hood books.

But then I grew to love Dr Kay Scarpetta (from the Patricia Cornwell books). That woman is smart I tell you! And independent! And stubborn! And just amazing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit