Your favorite fictional literary character

by daystar 58 Replies latest social entertainment

• daystar
    daystar

What is your favorite fictional literary character. Which character do you identify with most? I was a well-read kid and my favorite series of books were the Elric saga by Michael Moorcock. (Yeah, yeah, say his last name three times fast.) He wrote of various characters, but my favorite by far is Elric.

What about you? Look up your favorite character and post a link or embed it into a posting here. Then tell us what makes the character so special to you.

(If you try to embed a link to wikipedia, be aware that you may have problems with this. Every time I tried, instead of embedding it, it replaced the entire screen and i ended up having to retype these three paragraphs from scratch.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric

Some artwork:

alt

alt

I've read almost every piece that Michael Moorcock has written. What I most connected with, of course, are the tragic themes, his conflicts, his alienation. He, of course, exemplified what I romaticised myself as being, somehow playing out some role that I was meant to play.

Anyhow, enjoy! And I look forward to reading what the rest of you might comment with.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

John Carter

The novel tells of earthman John Carter of Mars. A form of astral projection mysteriously transports him to the planet Barsoom, where he encounters both formidable alien creatures resembling the beasts of ancient myth and various humanoids.
    [edit]

As mortals knew him

Carter stood 6'2? tall and had close-cropped black hair and steel-gray eyes. His character and courtesy exemplified the ideals of the antebellum South. A Virginian who served as a captain in the American Civil War, he struck it rich by finding gold in Arizona after the end of hostilities.

While hiding from Apaches in a cave, he found himself mysteriously transported to Mars, where he subsequently had many adventures. The less intense gravity of Mars compared to Earth gave him demigod-like strength.

Mysteriously transported back to Earth, he spent the last years of his life in a small cottage on the Hudson River in New York. He died there on March 4, 1886.
    [edit]

The immortal being

Burroughs portrays John Carter as an immortal being. In the opening pages of A Princess of Mars, the author reveals to the reader that Carter can remember no childhood, having always been a man of about thirty years old. Many generations of families referred to him as "Uncle Jack," but he always lived to see all the members of the families grow old and die, while he remained young. After travelling to Mars, he seemed to find his true calling in life as a warrior-savior of the planet's inhabitants.

His "death" actually represents leaving his inanimate body behind on Earth while he travelled about Mars in an identical body. Carter revealed that he mastered the process of travelling to and from Earth and Mars and could travel between the two at will. Accordingly, his Earth body lies in a special tomb that can only be opened from the inside.
    [edit]

Fauna

The humanoid "Red Martians", "White Martians", "Yellow Martians" and "Black Martians" resemble Homo sapiens in almost every respect except that they reproduce oviparously. The warlike "Green Martians" have four arms and tusks, and stand approximately four meters tall.

Many Barsoomians generally display warlike and honor-bound characteristics. The technology of the tales runs the gamut from dueling sabers to "radium pistols" and aircraft, with the discovery of powerful ancient devices or research into the development of new ones often forming plot devices. The natives also eschew clothing other than jewelry, providing a stimulating subject for illustrators of the stories.

Domesticated animals include the thoat, the calot and the zitidar.
    [edit]

Environment

Although loosely inspired by astronomical speculation of the time, especially that of Percival Lowell, that pictured Mars as a formerly Earthlike world now becoming more inhospitable to life, Burroughs' Barsoom tales never aspired to anything other than exciting escapism.
    [edit]

Legacy

The tales seem somewhat dated today, but they showed great innovation for the time of writing, and the exciting stories caught the interest of many readers, helping to inspire serious interest in Mars and in space exploration. A Princess of Mars was possibly the first fiction of the 20th century to feature a constructed language; although "Barsoomian" was not particularly developed, it did add verisimilitude to the narrative.

Many later science fiction works, from the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers films of the 1930s, to Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, to the Star Wars films, to the Mars trilogy of Kim Stanley Robinson, also offer nods in Burroughs's direction. Robert A. Heinlein's novel The Number of the Beast and Alan Moore's graphic novels of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen directly reference Barsoom. In L. Sprague de Camp's story "Sir Harold of Zodanga" Barsoom is recast as a parallel world visited by his dimension-hopping hero Harold Shea. De Camp accounts for Burrough's departures from physics or logic by portraying both Burroughs and Carter as having a tendency to exaggerate in their storytelling, and Barsoomian technology as less advanced than usually presented.

The John Carter books enjoyed another wave of popularity in the 1970s, with Vietnam War veterans who said they could identify with Carter, fighting in a war on another planet.

alt

• joelbear
    joelbear

Huckleberry Finn

Daneel Olivaw

Hercules

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Agatha Christie - my favourite read. So has to be.......

Hercule Poirot

• KW13
    KW13

Well firstly my favourite Author is George Orwell. He seemed to sum up the Witnesses in his books (though he wasn't on about them). For example in Animal Farm - the laws for the animals to follow which were written on the barn wall, were changed to suit the person/situation. In 1984 - How information was changed and destroyed and people blindly accepted what they saw without a doubt, not because they were stupid but the powers that were running the show pulled the wool over their eyes. Winston in 1984 reminds me of someone who can see what is going on in the ORG but feels overwhelmed by its power and by what is really going on, different between me and him and a lot of you and him is we GOT AWAY!

• lola28
    lola28

The lead character in Kafkas "The metamorphesis", yup I relate to a guy that turned into a giant roach.

lola

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kenneth "Sparky" Valentine is is a down-at-heels actor wandering the outer worlds (such as Pluto), appearing in seedy Shakespearean productions. But he is also a con man and general ne'er-do-well, who must constantly flee pursuing officers of the law and, more seriously, criminal enforcers.

The Golden Globe (Mass Market Paperback)by John Varley "I once played Romeo and Juliet as a one-man show," I said..." ( more )

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I was always quite fond of Ponyboy from S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders". On some levels, I can really relate to him - his love of reading and writing, his love of movies, his introspection, his way of thinking, his sensitivity, I think he's a very interesting, very complex character.

I really like Winston from Orwell's "1984", a very interesting character and an awesome book.

There are others, I just can't think of them right now. I read entirely too much and have way too many characters that I like.

-Becka :)

• daystar
    daystar

becka

Nothing Gold Can Stay
    Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower; But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay. -- Robert Frost

"Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold..."
  • Terry
    Terry

Jesus Christ was a favorite of mine...for awhile.

T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit