What Is Gods Name?

by Legolas 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Legolas
    Legolas

If there is a god...Don't any of you find it odd that we don't even know his name!

I mean... If he was real why didn't he preserve his name for all of us to know?

I mean think of it, it is really stupid isn't!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

maybe it doesnt really matter?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Its name is:

Ready?

alt

• lucifer
    lucifer

(if there is a god) maybe we are trying to make it so complicated when really it's so simple..maybe his name IS God

• Legolas
    Legolas
    maybe it doesnt really matter?

I thought of that, but if it is holy and all and he being the almight of universe I think it would be important, I mean ours is important to us.

And if for know other reason, we should know it so we don't go worshipping someone else!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In the whole scheme of things, why would children need to know the Father's name, in the sense of a moniker for identification?

I was prob 7 or 8 before I knew my Dad had a first name - I thought he was just Dad. I never really have needed to know his first name - and I would never call him that [except in fun]. He is still Dad, my Father. Jesus did not - as far as we know - use a personal name for His Father. He called him Father - Abba Father. Papa, Daddy. With great affection.

Perhaps - at some distant point - we would need to know His Name - though for what reason I cannot concieve in my fleshly mind at this point. Until then, I call Him Father. Abba. With great affection.

Jeff

• Brigid
    Brigid

Which god do you speak of? You mean the god of the bible? He has about 72 names to be precise. They more describe him than name him.

My goddess' name is Inanna...most of the time...Bridgette at others....Persephone comes to call once in a while...there are many it depends on what I'm trying to bring forth. Like the god of the bible, it's what attribute you're calling on. Need to influence power in war? Call on El Shaddai. Need mercy and ergo more feminine energy from the Hebrew god? Adonai ("Lord" but with a softer, more merciful connotation). Master and judge of the Universe? Eloheinu melech ha-olam. Need a mother or a lover? Shekinah is one of hebrew god's aspects/consorts. Of course, the english transliterations even lose meaning because in Hebrew they even have gematria (numerology) attached to it. Deep stuff.

Love,

~Brigid

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I thought of that, but if it is holy and all and he being the almight of universe I think it would be important, I mean ours is important to us.

And if for know other reason, we should know it so we don't go worshipping someone else!

So why hasnt she/he/whatever told us what it is then? If it were that important we should know it right? Frankly I like the name Bob. But then I'm not really hung up on the name issue.

Josie

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    In the whole scheme of things, why would children need to know the Father's name, in the sense of a moniker for identification?

I was prob 7 or 8 before I knew my Dad had a first name - I thought he was just Dad. I never really have needed to know his first name - and I would never call him that [except in fun]. He is still Dad, my Father. Jesus did not - as far as we know - use a personal name for His Father. He called him Father - Abba Father. Papa, Daddy. With great affection.

Perhaps - at some distant point - we would need to know His Name - though for what reason I cannot concieve in my fleshly mind at this point. Until then, I call Him Father. Abba. With great affection.

Nicely put, Jeff, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I remember when I was younger, it never even dawned on me that my father had a first name, he was always just "Daddy" for me, I thought that was his name. I remember hearing my mother calling him by his first name ("John") and thinking that that was the weirdest thing ever - I mean, wasn't his name "Daddy"?? Even now, when they're referring to each other, my parents never use their first names - they'll say "your mother" or "your father" instead of their actual names. My grandparents do the same for each other when they're talking to me - my grandfather will say "Nan" or and my grandmother will say "Pop" when they refer to each other. Shouldn't children and grandchildren refer to their parents and grandparents by their titles, rather than their first names, as a sign of respect?? I can't imagine calling my parents by their first names, it even feels weird to say their names when I'm not talking to them, to me, they're "Mom" and "Dad" and I call them that out of love and respect.

Maybe "God" is His name, or maybe it's His title and He hasn't revealed His true name to us because, out of respect, we should call Him by His title. Or maybe it's something else completely different and I'm completely off-base here, I don't know, I'm not a Biblical scholar. I will continue to call Him "God" and "Father" as a sign of my respect and love for Him. In my opinion, if calling God, "Father" was good enough for Jesus Christ, then it's definitely good enough for me!!

-Becka :)

• z
    z

Leogolas the last letterer in the alphabet Z

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit