What Is Gods Name?

by Legolas 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Thought i'd share an interesting explanation I read a while ago in a book written by a Rabbi (sorry I can't for the life of me remember what his name was!)

He wrote that YHWH - meaning 'I am who I am' - or 'I might be who I might be', 'I will be who I will be' - or any other variation of the verb to be, is a polite way of saying 'Mind your own business'!

It was one of the most profound things I've ever read about God.

so maybe we don't really know his name after all.

My own other thought would be which is the only name under heaven by which we can be saved? YHWH or Jesus?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The Tao that can be named is not the real Tao.

In other words: only the tiny circumscribed images and deities of the mind's imagination can be named; for they are but limited things and objects separate from all else.

You can name -- and so distinguish and identify -- mind created pieces or fragments believed to be somewhere within the universe. This is what the mind does, it breaks the universe into smaller and smaller pieces. This works extremely well on a practical day to day level, but when it comes to what the word G-O-D points to, our real, present and boundless Reality, Source and Sustenance, this process of reductionism and conceptualization blinds us to what we seek. Often times, the more scriptures you know, the more written truth you cherish, the less you really know.

How can you name that which has no beginning or end? that which all gods and universes exist within? You can't say It's infinite. Because it's not an IT. It's not a definable thing with form, boundaries or borders. The best you can do is say it's INFINITY itself. But what's infinity? The mind can't grasp it or really understand it. And when this happens you know you're getting warm. You're discovering what is too vast for the mind.

The true God, can not be known as tiny limited things and deities are known. However, since what is endless, is present everywhere, it can be lived as your actual foundational identity.

j

• onesong
    onesong

I think it's interesting that many of the names man has given to God have a similarity : they contain what is called the sound of perfection, the sound we make without any musculature distortion ; "ahh"

Allah, Krishna, Jehovah, Gaia, even Yahweh and Father , other spiritual figures Buddha, Kahuna

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Just here to revive an age-old thread, ha ha. No seriously, just one more thing I came across. This is from an apocryphical text, "Sophia of Jesus Christ". It is from between 50-200 CE:

Matthew said to him: "Lord, no one can find the truth except through you. Therefore teach us the truth."
    The Savior said: "He Who Is is ineffable. No principle knew him, no authority, no subjection, nor any creature from the foundation of the world until now, except he alone, and anyone to whom he wants to make revelation through him who is from First Light. From now on, I am the Great Savior. For he is immortal and eternal. Now he is eternal, having no birth; for everyone who has birth will perish. He is unbegotten, having no beginning; for everyone who has a beginning has an end. Since no one rules over him, he has no name; for whoever has a name is the creation of another."

...in case anyone were wondering..."the divine name" was obviously gone long before Nicea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit