Advice is to Beat the kids......still!

by Gill 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Beep,Beep - My only answer to this particular article is , 2004. This is a more recent stance of the WTBTS on this subject.

I remember vividly being at a KH about ten years ago when this particular subject of smacking/hitting as a form of discipline was discussed by a child less CO.

He said, since the subject of smacking being outlawed was beginning to be discussed in the national press then, but he said that Jehovah's law always came above man's law. Even if smacking was outlawed, JWs would follow Jehovah's law first as it was supreme and JWs would continue to give physical discipline to their children.

As we all suspect now, the WTBTS is now being run by lawyers. Future financial implications from law suits is what drives the WTBTS. This may be what begins to save a lot of JW youngsters from a good beating in the 'Mother's Room'.

However WTBTS 'double speak' is still being used. 'Spare the Rod...spoil the child.' 'If you beat him, he will not die.' Followed by 'disicipline with love.' Hence the constant confusion of the average JW brain.

Instructions from the FDS nowadays, have to be confusing enough, not to lead to a lawsuit that can stand up in court. IMHO of course.

• LDH
    LDH
    Taken from the 2004 Watchtower library CD.

Beep,

I STAND CORRECTED. I'm pming you with my address. Send me this article in full with your return address and I'll send you $100, just like I promised.

I think it is interesting to note that this is a 2004 WT. Can you provide other articles like this from when Brigid and I were children? I note we are both the same age.

No, I don't need anger therapy--but from an outsider's perspective it looked as though you were trying to nullify Brigid's experiences. They are valid experiences and many of us have similar tales. If you escaped without being beaten, good on you. Not all of us, including myself, have that claim to fame!!!!!!

Lisa

• Gill
    Gill

Do not forget however LDH and Beep,Beep, as you make friends again on this issue, the original article from the 2006 Watchtower I was talking about, was talking about...'the ROD, THOUGH AT TIMES LITERAL.......' Hitting children is still a recommendation of the WTBTS.

Don't be taken in by 'double speak'.

• LDH
    LDH

Gill,

They don't fool me for one second. This is the type of article they would have used to 'showcase' their beliefs on child -rearing if asked to do so by the UN NGO rules.

This is the type of article they will use to in child custody battles, etc.

I know what their motives are, pure and simple to protect the Borg from lawsuits.

I haven't for one second changed my mind but I put a wager out there and Beep won it.

Also, orchids are only hard to raise if you're a dumb ass. Oh wait, they are.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I was spanked as a child. Never beaten. I knew I had broken the rules and I knew what was going to happen. I was never spanked at the KH. Always at home in private.

My mother was the one who normally administered the punishment. Once she had my fater do it. The poor guy had no idea what he was doing because he had never done it before. He probably didn't want to be in this situation either. He bends me over and gives me a quick wack with the belt. I jumped up laughing because it did'nt hurt at all. I told him smiling "that didn't hurt!" Well needles to say that immediately there after I got the spanking of a life time from my old man.

• Gill
    Gill

Darth Yhwh - And your story illustrates the problem completely. In the end, you got a beating, not because of your original 'sin' but because you had the audacity to laugh at you old man. You got a beating because he was angry and frustrated and so took it out on you.

It is not possible to physically punish someone 'with love'. You have to be a real 'sicko' to hit someone lovingly. It's just a contradiction in terms, typical of confusion, frustration and anger, and most of all, lack of imagination and intelligence.

Now I take real pleasure in punishing my children. A computer ban for a couple of days REALLY HURTS. Not only that, it really hurts for a couple of days. I don't even have to move a finger to implement it.

That's what I call punishment.

• LDH
    LDH
    I told him smiling "that didn't hurt!" Well needles to say that immediately there after I got the spanking of a life time from my old man.

I agree with Gill. This is disgusting.

I am stronger than my 4 year old, and I can beat the crap out of him to prove it!

See my point?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Like Gill, I like to ban electronics (TV, PC, game systems, iPOD). Last time I banned my then 15 year-old daughter from the PC, she asked "Can you just smack me and be done with it? "

Since very young children are now dependent on various electronics for entertainment, restricting them make for effective punishments.

Of course, when I have the energy, I think about what constitutes logical consequences for an unwanted action. That's probably a more effective form of discipline.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Here's on from the April 1st 1979 mag, also from the CD.

"Our Children—A Heritage from Jehovah

“GET out of my sight! Leave! Don’t come back!” After shouting these words, a father threw his 16-year-old son
    out of the house.

The teen-ager is one of a group of children that has drawn much publicity in recent years. “Called trashed kids,
    pushouts, homeless youth, throwouts and throwaways—they have been rejected by their families and told to ‘get
    out,’ often with no money and only the clothes they are wearing,” notes an article in Parade magazine. The article
    further stated: “Some parents who throw away their kids never want to see or hear from them again.”

Obviously many adults today take a dim view of children. Has this attitude influenced your thinking? Whether you
    answer Yes or No, you will find it beneficial to consider the viewpoint that the Bible urges parents to take
    toward their children.

Under inspiration of God, the psalmist wrote of children who are born in honorable wedlock: “Look! Sons are an
    inheritance from Jehovah; the fruitage of the belly is a reward.” (Ps. 127:3) According to the Hebrew lexicon
    by William Gesenius, the word “inheritance” in this instance means: “A possession granted by Jehovah, gift of
    Jehovah.” When people receive a valuable gift, they usually treasure it. If the gift requires maintenance and
    upkeep, they give it the best.

Do you treat your children as if they were a heritage from the Creator, Jehovah? The Scriptures state: “The
    children ought not to lay up for their parents, but the parents for their children.” (2 Cor. 12:14) “Certainly
    if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household,
    he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” (1 Tim. 5:8) God desires that parents
    “lay up” provisions for their children both material and spiritual. How can that be done successfully?

Since all parents and children have their own personalities, it is impossible to present minute rules for child
    rearing that will succeed with every child in every family. However, let us consider certain basic guidelines
    that have always proved to be beneficial.

COMMUNICATION

One counselor at a residence for cast-off children points out how the staff at that institution tries to help
    them: “We listen to the young person. We tune into the crisis and find out how he or she is feeling.” This is
    known as “communication,” and it begins by listening. Your family, too, may benefit by communication.

Do you have good communication with your children on a regular basis? We do not mean empty chitchat or “forced”
    conversation about the weather or some other superficial matter. Truly effective communication must be ‘heart
    to heart.’ It must stem from genuine love and affection between parent and child. Since ‘out of the heart’s
    abundance the mouth speaks,’ paying attention to what your child says will keep you attune to his emotional
    and spiritual needs.—Luke 6:45.

Cultivating good communication with children requires much patience and hard work. To succeed at this, parents
    must follow the Scriptural counsel to do “nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism.” They must ‘keep
    an eye, not in personal interest upon just their own matters, but also in personal interest upon those of the
    others,’ especially their children. (Phil. 2:3, 4) Due to inheriting sin, all humans tend to be more interested
    in themselves than in others. Parents must fight against this tendency and cultivate interest in things that
    their children find appealing.

“DISCIPLINE AND MENTAL-REGULATING”

An important evidence of parental love is described at Proverbs 13:24: “The one holding back his rod is hating
    his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline.” A similar Scriptural guideline
    states: “The rod and reproof are what give wisdom; but a boy let on the loose will be causing his mother shame.”
    —Prov. 29:15.

The discipline mentioned here does not mean simply physical punishment, though that is necessary on occasion.
    Children must know not only what to do and from what to refrain, but also why certain things are right or wrong.
    In other words, effective discipline of children calls for corrective counsel that children will accept as being
    right.

This need can be met by heeding the further Scriptural command: “You, fathers, do not be irritating your children,
    but go on bringing them up in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah.” (Eph. 6:4) Children must learn the
    way man’s Creator thinks, the things that God likes and dislikes. In order to provide such mental-regulating,
    parents themselves must be well acquainted with the Bible.

Instructive in this connection is the following declaration by Moses to parents in ancient Israel: “These words
    that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart; and you must inculcate them in your son and speak
    of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up. And
    you must tie them as a sign upon your hand, and they must serve as a frontlet band between your eyes; and you
    must write them upon the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” (Deut. 6:6-9) In regard to these verses,
    the Bible commentary by Keil and Delitzsch states:

“For the love of God to be of the right kind, the commandments of God must be laid to heart, and be the constant
    subject of thought and conversation. ‘Upon thine heart:’ i.e. the commandments of God were to be an affair of
    the heart, and not merely of the memory . . . [Compare Deuteronomy 11:18]. They were to be enforced upon the
    children, talked of at home and by the way, in the evening on lying down and in the morning on rising up, i.e.
    everywhere and at all times; they were to be bound upon the hand for a sign, and worn as bands (frontlets) between
    the eyes. . . . these words are figurative, and denote an undeviating observance of the divine commands.”

Treating your children as a heritage from Jehovah requires regular communication with them, as well as teaching
    them by continual repetition (‘inculcating’) the thinking of God as recorded in the Holy Scriptures. Do you feel
    that you could use some assistance in providing such Bible-based “discipline and mental-regulating”? If so, we
    encourage your thoughtful attention to the Scriptural principles and real-life experiences set forth in the
    following articles."

I find the following paragraph, taken from the above article very interesting.

"The discipline mentioned here does not mean simply physical punishment, though that is necessary on occasion.
    Children must know not only what to do and from what to refrain, but also why certain things are right or wrong.
    In other words, effective discipline of children calls for corrective counsel that children will accept as being
    right."

• LDH
    LDH

Beep,

Since you are looking for references...how many times is physical disciplined?

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit