...but Jesus said the truth would divide families!!!!

by ithinkisee 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Your post reads "but Jesus said the truth would divide families!!!!

simple answer JW's don't have the "truth"

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I think like Odrade. Any strong opinion will create divisions. Thats why in the US they say don't talk about religion and politics.

As for creating divisions between family members many groups could claim that.

The founder of the NRA or AA or Peta or the Republican and Democratic Parties.

One thing I see though is that Jesus didn't say it was the Christians who would do the dividing. Maybe he meant that non Christian family members would avoid their opinionated Christian relatives.

Seems to me to avoid someone who commited a sin goes against the concept of that sin being washed clean by the ransom sacrifice. Or maybe some just don't accept the ransom sacrifice. Its all very foolish.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Notice that the apostles don't say, "Where shall we go away to", but "whom"..... Leaving the WTS is not the same as leaving Christ. Or Jehovah. Or Christianity.

Very good point, GGG!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    simple answer JW's don't have the "truth"

Danny, that's a good counter-argument, too!

• KW13
    KW13

Ok so because i went to church my mum kicked me out of the house, she is a JW. That means i have the truth! WHOO!!!!

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

This doesn't prove anything to me about them having the "Truth". It's silly that they use this as some sort of self-fulfilling prophesy about themselves.

What I believe Jesus is telling his disciples here is that you have to stand up for what you believe to be truth, that you may even have to stand up against your own flesh and blood. He's saying that to stand up for truth is not going to be easy, there may be persecution... and that - as one translation so aply puts it-vs. 36: "Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies". (Message Bible)

Sound familiar? Although they like to twist this scripture to mean they are in the right... they are the ones persecuting their family members for what they stand for. They are the ones Jesus warns about.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

I've always understood those scriptures to mean that there would be disputes - within Jewish families - when a member or members received the apostles' words ('whoever receives you, receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me') and believed that Jesus spoke 'truth' / that Jesus was 'the way, the truth and the life' / that Jesus was the 'word' of God / had the words of everlasting life etc etc - in contrast to other family members who did not accept Jesus' teachings and insight and wished to hold to their traditional Judaic beliefs.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

What I believe Jesus is telling his disciples here is that you have to stand up for what you believe to be truth, that you may even have to stand up against your own flesh and blood. He's saying that to stand up for truth is not going to be easy, there may be persecution... and that - as one translation so aply puts it-vs. 36: "Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies". (Message Bible)

This is the way I see this too. Jesus' style and message was so completely different and "strange" in his own community, that it made people uncomfortable and viewed as sacrilige be many. He expected it would cause divisions and hard feelings, and had warned us about this in the bible.

Sound familiar? Although they like to twist this scripture to mean they are in the right... they are the ones persecuting their family members for what they stand for. They are the ones Jesus warns about.

Exactly.

And this "JW persecution" carries down through today simply because of their arrogance and audacity in telling others that THEY have "the ONLY religion approved by God", and the practice of banging unwanted and unwelcome on people's doors to deliver that message. That is not "persecution" it is the result of their own haughty attitudes and rigid, unbending teachings.

For the most part, they are NOT taken seriously, in fact, they are the butt of many jokes and have zero respect AS a religion among the common folk. Countries may "accept them" as a legitimate religion, but most people you ask don't have very nice or respectful things to say about them.

Sorry for the yellow....I can't zap it out!

Annie

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "What is your response to the claim that the truth would divide families?"

My response was, Thanks for pointing that out. I'll change my will. The truth can take care of you. :-)

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Perhaps if one takes in consideration that the separation of family has to do with family members being guided by the Mosaic Law and those guided by the law of love. That in and of itself would cause divisions among family members. Some family members wouldn't be aggressively opposed to the Christian or Christ like viewpoint and others would. Just like anything today that requires a dedication, some are for others against. That in and of itself causes a division in the family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit