...but Jesus said the truth would divide families!!!!

by ithinkisee 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

what is that scripture?

and

What is your response to the claim that the truth would divide families?

-ithinkisee

• Odrade
    Odrade

Any sharp difference of opinion will divide people. What Jesus said was not so much "proof" of being right, or prophetic, as much as it was just a general statement of human nature.

• jgnat
    jgnat

But...but...but... we're not supposed to HELP it ALONG! We should be the ones PROMOTING FAMILY VALUES, not tearing them apart. If people reject us for what we believe, so be it. But we should not be the CAUSE OF THE REJECTING. Using the same analogy, should we be engaging in terrorist acts to help along the destruction of world governments?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

That evil exists is a facet of the truth, ergo, evil is the truth. Does that make evil the right thing to do, the right thing to say, the right thing to think?

• Neo
    Neo

ithinkisee, the following are the Scriptures about family division and Jesus:

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
    Mat 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
    Luk 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
    Luk 12:52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
    Luk 12:53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

jgnat,

But...but...but... we're not supposed to HELP it ALONG! We should be the ones PROMOTING FAMILY VALUES, not tearing them apart. If people reject us for what we believe, so be it. But we should not be the CAUSE OF THE REJECTING.

Brilliant coment!

Neo

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

*sigh* this is one of things an elder pulled out of his *** when I alked him how shunning could be considered christian love.

All I could answer at the moment was "But it's complete non-sense!!!" in a completly exasperated and discouraged tone.

• moshe
    moshe

Some Biblical scholars have wondered why Jesus was so down on families. The book of Thomas, while not on the approved Canon list of NT books gives some insight into Jesus' life. Some say Jesus did not have a real father at home. This might explain some things. Unfortunately, the main eye-witnesses to Jesus' ministry and his family chose not to write/talk about what they saw. This seems odd to me.

peace,

Moshe

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

ithinkisee -

Here's another interesting thought... Those who no longer believe JW teachings, are DF'd and shunned as apostate. The typical question is, Where will you go, if you leave the 'truth'? They refer to John 6, where many were stumbled at Jesus' teachings and stopped following him. Jesus then asks his apostles if they also want to leave, and they reply....

67Therefore Jesus said to the twelve: "YOU do not want to go also, do YOU?" 68 Simon Peter answered him: "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life; 69 and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God."
    Notice that the apostles don't say, "Where shall we go away to", but "whom"..... Leaving the WTS is not the same as leaving Christ. Or Jehovah. Or Christianity.

When families say that 'the truth' will divide families, and give that as an excuse for shunning, they are twisting the scriptures. (What a shock! )

GGG

• greendawn
    greendawn

The dubs try to apply this to themselves linking it to family members opposed to JWs or interested people, but that shouldn't imply that such opposition is unjustified and given their destructive nature it is understandable why enlightened relatives would be strongly against the JWs.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

but any religious follower of christ could claim the same thing when others in their family don't agree with their religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit