Do you still read the bible?

by JH 33 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I don't read it anymore.

I figure that I know enough of it, without having to go back and read it again.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

when leonard cohen and saul williams bore me, and i want some hardcore poetry, i crack her open. lol.

TS

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Eventually I will go back to it. Still trying to remove WT Plug-ins and Filters, they were hidden in the Add/Remove programs. JWD registry cleaner has helped out ;-). The Bible was meant to be read without plug-ins.

WAC

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yes, I do....although not everyday...I find something new to think about everytime I open up the Bible and read Psalms or Proverbs. Not limited to those two books by the way.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I go to it more nowadays as a reference source.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I dont believe it is any more inspired than mad magazine but I do read it. It is a work of art akin to the Odyssey or Illyid

• serendipity
    serendipity

Yes, though I prefer the NIV now because it's easier to understand.

• luna2
    luna2

I almost never look at it any more. Maybe in the future I'll be able to open it without finding myself mentally back in the KH.

• poppers
    poppers

I never could get into it - tried several times but I just couldn't keep at it. Must be my Catholic upbringing.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

A couple of reasons why I don't read it anymore. First I have read many versions, many times over in the 33 years that I was inside the Watchtower Society.

Then I wrote to Ray Franz's site and asked about the inspiration of the Bible coming from God. Answer after everything was said and done was, " It's a leap of faith".

Next, after having read two books, 'THE BIBLE UNEARTHED, archaeology's new vision of ancient Israel and the Origin of it's sacred texts by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman, also, WHO WROTE THE BIBLE? by Richard Elliot Friedman along with the many post's written here about the Bible.

I now read a variety of books on subjects that talk about the meaning of life, does God exist, creation vs. evolution and other disciplines, logic, critical thinking etc. A to Z. and I go back and read the old time poster's who no longer post on many of the interesting topics raised here in the past.

So, I really don't have the time to re - read the Bible itself anymore.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit