Comments You Will Not Hear at the 2-5-06 WT Study (Trust)

by blondie 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Am I right or am I leaping off on a tangent?

Your astute observation is right on. They really can't bear up under close scrutiny, can they?

• anewme
  • xjwms
    xjwms

1st class job

Needed to get to it yesterday

Thanks.....you're number one.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

GUILT SHAME GUILT SHAME GUILT SHAME GUILT SHAME GUILT SHAME

That's what it's all about.

My husband's been away from the meetings (due to a combination of factors) for 2 weeks. He's turned into a different person before my eyes. Unfortunately he's back there today, he'll be guilted and shamed and stressed out again in no time.

Thanks for the review, Blondie! It's great, as usual!

GGG

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Thanks Blondie,

I still know some of the JW kids who are attending college. These anti-college comments really put a lot of pressure on these parents and their kids. I imagine them sitting there with that horrible sinking feeling that I used to get when something like this was brought up in a meeting. It also ads fuel to the fire of those judgemental ones who like to point fingers at anyone who is doing something questional by the WT standards. I remember a sister who took me out to coffee to lecture me the whole time about my daughter who was attending college at the time. She just kept telling me that I should go back and read the magazines because the society says JWs should not be attending college, but should pioneer instead. (My adult daughter was trying to get out of the JWs at the time and wasn't even interested in attending meetings, so the advice was not even applicable to anything I had control over.) This was also during the time when the WT was saying college was more of a matter of choice. This woman had told her kids not to even think about college or a career when they were growing up--their career would be to pioneering. Her daugter pioneered for awhile, but is Dfd now and living a crazy hard drinking life. The son has has been on heavy drugs and in and out of prison (also Dfd now).

How can you trust this organization when you see the results that following its advice has had upon its members?

This article was hard to read--actually depressing and pathetic and so much of the same old same old news.

Thanks blondie--it all helps me realize how grateful I am to be outta there.

cybs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I love this: Trusting too much in material things can lead a person to be less `conscious of his spiritual need. So, does that mean that the WT is going to sell all of it's holdings, and give to the poor? Why not? I get a little puke in my mouth when I read this; good thing I have not been to a regular WT study in months, I don't think I could hold back from pointing out the hypocrisy. And yet another snippy little dig at those who go to college: Though it is not forbidden, those who choose to go to university are contrasted with the woman in Liberia who made the "spiritual" choice, and again they repeat the old chestnut that if we serve Jehovah whole souled (meaning don't go to college, and change jobs if you miss meetings due to your present one) that he will provide for you. It is classic: so if someone does not make ends meet, they are not spiritual enough. I have just had it with all things WT. I spent Friday night trying to explain the blood policy to my mother, who can't understand why fractions are allowed if we "avoid" blood. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I love this:

Trusting too much in material things can lead a

person to be less `conscious of his spiritual need.

So, does that mean that the WT is going to sell all of it's holdings, and give to the poor?
    Why not?

I get a little puke in my mouth when I read this; good thing I have not been to a regular WT study in months, I don't think I could hold back from pointing out the hypocrisy.
    And yet another snippy little dig at those who go to college: Though it is not forbidden, those who choose to go to university are contrasted with the woman in Liberia who made the "spiritual" choice, and again they repeat the old chestnut that if we serve Jehovah whole souled (meaning don't go to college, and change jobs if you miss meetings due to your present one) that he will provide for you. It is classic: so if someone does not make ends meet, they are not spiritual enough.

I have just had it with all things WT. I spent Friday night trying to explain the blood policy to my mother, who can't understand why fractions are allowed if we "avoid" blood.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

• HiddenQuestioner
    HiddenQuestioner

Here's my 2 cents worth. I went to this study today and, besides agreeing with a lot of the previous postings on this thread, I couldn't help but notice all the times "serve Jehovah" was encouraged when not once is attention given to "worshiping Jehovah". My view is worship to God comes first and it is through that worship that certain people (not all) might be compelled to do more such as some measure of "service". That said if one just stops at the worshiping part then that should in of itself NOT condemn a person. Many have valid reasons for not being able to do more and there is no need to use guilt, fear and shame to compel people to serve. Once the worship part is fulfilled those who CAN serve God mostly likely will and will do so in productive ways that fall within their spiritual and emotional limits.

Also, why is it assumed that higher ed is pursued only for materialistic pursuits? I know of many, including myself, that have pursed higher ed not for money, fame, material goods but to work at an occupation that interests me, stimulates me, is challenging and emotionally rewarding that I both enjoy and that both contributes to my self esteem and contributes to the well-being of my fellow man. For me, money is neither the priority nor the goal. There is no reason therefore to assume unchristian attitudes always exist when it comes to a desire for education and I resent the inference.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Thank you once again Blondie for another enjoyable Sunday morning read.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, HiddenQuestioner, this is my pet peeve with the Watchtower's current anti-college stance. I think of a young JW mother who shared her dreams that her son would be a doctor one day. Not with TODAY'S watchtower. But it occurred to me that it is unlikely that the WTBTS will maintain this same stance for the next fifteen years, so it is very likely when this young JW boy grows up he'll have his chance. But what of this generation? I predict they will be lost to the society.

I know of many, including myself, that have pursed higher ed not for money, fame, material goods but to work at an occupation that interests me, stimulates me, is challenging and emotionally rewarding that I both enjoy and that both contributes to my self esteem and contributes to the well-being of my fellow man. For me, money is neither the priority nor the goal. There is no reason therefore to assume unchristian attitudes always exist when it comes to a desire for education and I resent the inference.

It is the huge waste of God-given talent that burns me up. Anyone who is deprived of following their dream are short-changed. And the adults who short-change them have much to answer to God for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit