List of family/friends lost to the Watchtower cult? (suicides)

by hubert 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I can't give specifics, but here goes:

1. Mother of 2 jumped in front of a subway train.
    2. Middle aged man hung himself in a barn.
    3. Middle aged man, only non JW in large family of JWs, hung himself.

W

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

FOUR GENERATIONS OF MY FAMILY DESTROYED BY THE EVIL WATCHTOWER I DON'T KNOW WHO IS DEAD OR ALIVE! In a cult and want out? SIGN UP DR PHIL SHOW ON CULTS all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• hubert
    hubert

I just counted the suicides, and to bring them up to date, we have 77, plus one that p.m.'d me, for a total of around .......78 !! ...... suicides and many, many attempts !!

Based on the fact that I have 1,216 views, (people), divided into 78, equals .064 percent, or over 1/2 of one percent. I hope I'm doing this right. Someone good with numbers help me out here, I don't want to be wrong.

If this calculation is right, then if you took .064 times (x) 6,000,000 people, you would get a count of 384,000 possible suicides per 6 million members.!!!

Someone please check this, I don't want to be wrong on my figuring. If I am, someone correct me.

Hubert

By the way, welcome! Philippe

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Can we somehow make a database or list or something where all this info could go?

If you are talking about a JW suicide victims memorial, I am willing to put up a page on my site, if there is sufficient interest. I would set it up so that ppl could submit the info, similar to AJWRB's memorial. PM me if you're interested.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Teenager, Miguel F., raised JW and living in a JW home but not a JW himself. Shot himself. Motives unknown.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/70800/1.ashx

• sir82
    sir82
    Based on the fact that I have 1,216 views, (people), divided into 78, equals .064 percent, or over 1/2 of one percent. I hope I'm doing this right. Someone good with numbers help me out here, I don't want to be wrong.

If this calculation is right, then if you took .064 times (x) 6,000,000 people, you would get a count of 384,000 possible suicides per 6 million members.!!!

I took just enough statistics to be dangerous, but you really can't extrapolate the results from views of an ex-jw website to be representative of the JW population as a whole.

If there really had been 384,000 suicides among JWs in the past generation, in each congregation of 100, there would have been 6 or 7 suicides. Even the most brain-dead JW would have realized something was dreadfully wrong

• serendipity
    serendipity

To extrapolate the suicide rate, we'd need the cumulative number of JWs over time, rather than using the present 6 million number. Maybe we can take a starting number of publishers as of 1960 (if we have any suicides from the 60's), as the starting point and add the number baptized every year since.

• hubert
    hubert

sir82, I got my calculations checked by a draftsman, and my figures are right, except that the 1/2 of 1 percent actually figures to be over 6 percent !! (almost 6 1/2 percent). I think this is an unusauly high suicide rate.

I am just basing the 384,000 on the 6.4 percent of 6 million, just to get an idea of what it COULD be. I'm not saying the figures are that high. No one will ever know how close the truth comes to this figure, but it's a starting place.

I still think that our figures for this post is awful high, anyway, even if a few are repeats of someone elses knowledge.

I think it is something that should be looked into. How? I have no idea, but maybe some of you will know how to find a database or build one.

Thanks for all the input.

Hubert

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I attempted suicide in 1988 at the age of 16. Thank goodness my mother found me in time.

About two years later, my friend E. shot himself in the head. He was 19. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met. It was a total shock for everyone. He left a note, but his family never told us what was in it.

CountryGuy

• hubert
    hubert

bttt ......for the Newbies.

Suicides are my main beef with the Watchtower Society. I get so choked up and emotional when I hear of some poor father, mother, sister, brother, or relatives who kill themselves because of the ridiculous Watchtower shunning policy.

So, what I want to do here, is gather stories of suicides that are directly or indirectly caused by the Watchtower Society’s shunning policy.
    There are many new faces on this board, and I am starting to see many newbies that have stories about suicides. I posted this topic a year ago, and thought it would be good to bring it up again, because of all the new people here on this board that haven’t viewed or added to any of this yet.
    Please, if you know of any, would you add them to this old post so we can keep track of how many meaningless deaths the Watchtower Society has contributed to?
    Thanks. Hubert

I tried to add this to my first post in this thread, but kept getting an error, so I had to put it back here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit