Christians - Do you believe the flood occurred?

by AlmostAtheist 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Calliope
    Calliope

gosh darnit people,

don't you know it was metaphorical?

it has to do with colon evacuation. come on. did you all miss THAT public talk.

geez.

(note: i am just kidding...)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I've never been able to understand why the animals that disembarked from the ark and went in different directions, didn't leave a trail of their species behind them, ie, why there aren't marsupials from Mt Wherever to Gondwanaland, pandas from Mt Wherever to China...

Then again, I'm only a Christian in that I believe that a man named jesus was once alive who said some nice things and they were well recorded and a new government was founded on the ashes of the religious movement left behind. That's probably because I really don't know as much about it as I used to think.

• Robdar
    Robdar

No, I do not believe a world wide flood occurred. I do not believe most of the OT. Just another set of myths. I think that the world would be a better place if we got rid of the OT.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    When I was a Bible believer, I accepted the flood. The frozen mammoths and seashells on mountaintops were "evidence", but the only needed proof was simply that the Bible said so.

As a Christian, do you believe the flood story?

If not, why do you think it's in the Bible?

I'm also interested in any "sort of" beliefs involving for instance more localized flooding and why you think the Bible supports that view.

This isn't meant to be a "prove there was/prove there wasn't" thread, but more of a poll of those that believe in the Bible and their views on the flood.

Dave

I believe the flood account in Genesis and that it was global.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I believe it occured whether local or global because it is mentioned in the christian scriptures as a historical fact.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, for the global diehards, I still have a few simple questions that I cannot personally get past -

What happened to all that water? It cannot just evaporate into space---its got to be still here in some form or another.

What happened to all the PLANTS? Most of them will not survive being inundated. Even if Noah saved plant samples as well as animals, how did the other CONTINENTS get repopulated with their unique species. And don't tell me continental drift had them all as one landmass. That is cheating if you think this happened within the past 6000 years.

Also, did you ever consider how HARD it would have to rain to accomplish this? 10" of rain in an hour is a pretty good downpour...what does that add up to over 40 days?

For me, it is easier to keep some faith or respect for the OT if I let go of some of the church hardline stuff and just take the moral lessons given. Just like the literal creative days - and isn't 7000 year creative days as ridiculously out of touch with reality as 24 hours? Remember, the Pope was ready to kill Gallileo for saying the earth goes around the sun...

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Well, for the global diehards, I still have a few simple questions that I cannot personally get past -

What happened to all that water? It cannot just evaporate into space---its got to be still here in some form or another.

What happened to all the PLANTS? Most of them will not survive being inundated. Even if Noah saved plant samples as well as animals, how did the other CONTINENTS get repopulated with their unique species. And don't tell me continental drift had them all as one landmass. That is cheating if you think this happened within the past 6000 years.

Also, did you ever consider how HARD it would have to rain to accomplish this? 10" of rain in an hour is a pretty good downpour...what does that add up to over 40 days?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/flood.asp

• oldflame
    oldflame

Well first of all I can see that some of you do not read or have not read your scriptures very well. I know that is because of the control from the Borg. The scriptures tells us that Noah did not go and collect the animals but rather God spoke to the animals and told them to report to the ark.

When Adam and eve were created in the garden they were naked, now why would they be naked if they were going to be exposed to severe cold or hot weather ? Because there was no such thing as severe weather. The temperature was kept at a mild and there was no severe weather that could endanger them. It has been explained that at that time there was no such thing as rain but that there was a barrier. It was probably very humid.

When God flooded the earth this moisture barrier fell to the ground which caused the flood. Now if there was no flood then why do they find crustaceans in places where there is no water ? Even scientist say that the earth at one time was definitely covered with water. All that water is now ice.....now explain to me how all that ice got there........Where did it come from ? HMMMMMMMMMM

• james_woods
    james_woods

So, if all the ice melted and all the water vapor presently up there fell as condensate, it would cover the top of Mt Ararat?

• PMJ
    PMJ

I BELIEVE THERE WAS A GLOBAL FLOOD IN NOAHS DAY.IF JEHOVAH SAID IT HAPPEND THEN IT HAPPEND.WE CANT PICK AND CHOOSE.WHAT TO BELIEVE ABOUT THE BIBLE.WE EAVER TRUST GOD OR WE DONT SIMPLE AS THAT IN MTY EYES

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit