Raymond Franz

by KW13 40 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

Raymond Franz was a member of the Governing Body and was a JW for many years till he left.

He wrote a book which provides a great insight into JW's BUT what is really good about it is he isn't bitter when he comes across and so far i am really enjoying the read.

Also in there are copies of letters sent from him to the society or the other way around and i recommend anyone who can find it should read it!

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/cocbr.htm

I am only just into it and i am hooked. - i was at my mums yesterday and she asked what it was

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi KW13. I'm glad you found the information necessary to unlock all the delicate places of our captive minds, we as Witnesses. I regard Crises of Conscience to ex-witnesses as the Blue Book is for Alcoholics Anonymous.

Ones spiritual journey is Super Charged once a Witness or Ex-Witness reads that book. The information in it is priceless. I know how difficult it is to put down. I try to read it at least once every two years in order to refresh and remind myself of the tragedy that truly comes from having been JW.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    BUT what is really good about it is he isn't bitter when he comes across

This is why what he says is more powerful. He isn't vindictive at all but writes with refreshing honesty. I just wish I could get my daughters to read it!

Ian

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I am currently reading right now as I type! Dang! I need to go to bed!!!

peace

• Clam
    Clam

Yes KW13 it's a seminal book alright. I came across it about 18 months ago. Up until then I'd used the internet to get all the info on the WTS, but the book was a sledgehammer; and you're right, Mr Franz just comes across as a reasonable guy. You might say he's got an axe to grind but he certainly doesn't come across as bitter. I'd visited this site on and off for a couple of years until joining, and I know I've missed a lot but I always wondered if he actually was a member here. I suppose he's not but does anyone know what he's doing these days? Bless him!

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I myself was reading the penultimate chapter last night (of my first read through of the book). It is a most interesting read and there are many that I'd love to show and get to read it also - respect for the way it is written. Ultimately when we are judged by Christ (if indeed we are) we wont be able to have the society next to us and say I did it cause they told me so, it will be our own actions that will be judged. Just like it wasnt an excuse in the Nazi war criminal trials to say they were ordered to do so - we each stand for ourselves, so the way control is laid out by that organisation as being 'our' christian conscience, is completely out of harmany with God's word.

• geevee
    geevee

Yes, a great book by a humble man. When a friend suggested that we read it, well...I shied away from his suggestion, I mean, I had heard about this guy in the 80's and it was not complimentary. The I got a copy from commentary press. WOW.... the GB is just a mothers club, with as much HS as anyone else.
    We constantly thank Ray Franz for his courage.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Did anyone notice Franz was quoted in the media articles about the blood misrepresentation issue? I thought that was great! I also liked the book "30 Years a Watchtower Slave" by William J. Schnell. Though IMO the title may be off-putting, it is not bitter and is fairly objective like Franz's book. It gives a glimpse into the early organization much in the same way Franz's book shows the org in the '70s. What I found particularly valuable about 30 Years is that I finally understood how sinister the org had been even way back then.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    This is why what he says is more powerful. He isn't vindictive at all but writes with refreshing honesty. I just wish I could get my daughters to read it!

Ian

Ian - Maybe they have. Are you able to suggest it in any way? If I recall they are shunning you - but my memory fails this early in the morning.

I agree - this is the most powerful book to ever influence my life. I have read and learned much since leaving the borg - but this book was the first and largest stepping stone that helped me to start my journey across unknown waters. I hope Ray has a special place in heaven for what he has done here.

Jeff

• KW13
    KW13

"30 Years a Watchtower Slave" - Not read that yet but i will if i come across it

A lot of people appreciate what this man did (just reading your comments proves that).

I hope more witnesses get a chance to read this and not be off put by who the man was, the society are clever in how they put people off books about witnesses by non-JW's...my mum for example firmly believes Ex-Jw's are just on a manhunt and she wouldn't read this book, so Dansk you don't know what will happen. Maybe what someone else does/says will breakthrough the barrier with your daughters, and although that might be hard to accept and we keep trying, we hope that however it happens they see what they are in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit