What proportion of JW kids stay Witnesses? How about in your cong?

by jwfacts 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shakita
    Shakita
    Of about 100 people born into the WTS that i can remember in my congregations in Australia about 3/4 of them have left. Is that the same in your congregation?

Hey Jwfacts. That is about the same figure here in the US. A CO once told a friend of mine that about 75-80% of Witness kids leave the religion when they become of age. That should tell you something, you WT dunderheads, but I suspect it won't.

Mr. Shakita

• Sentient
    Sentient

In the four different congregations that I regularly attended in my life, I would say very roughly at least 75% left at some point with probably less than half returning and staying. I also think that the new wired generation is going to spell the end for this organization as we know it in 1st world countries...unless a kid is raised in Amish country or something, eventually the information control ends and help in moving on is more readily available now. There is definitely a momentum, an exponentially growing awareness taking place.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I have heard from CO's that we are losing half.

Seems dannyhazzard is more correct. Probably 70-80% leave and some of those drift back.

uninformed

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

From my personal experience around 70% of the my friends are out. Surprisingly the majority of these are elders kids like myself. A lot of us were auxiliary pioneers during our summer breaks, and most of us had aspirations of Bethel service or regular pioneering after high school. I'm a firm believer that the majority of JW youths are bailing out as fast as they can. I even had an elder tell me that one time, he said that the Society was growing very worried about the "problem" they were having with retention among teenage JW's.

JW youth's almost always leave if they get into college. The WTS's BS can't withstand a thinking mind, which is why they demonize higher education; they know a college educated JW= someone on the way out.

• serendipity
    serendipity

In the cong. where I spent my childhood, somewhere between 75-80% left. In the cong. I'm in now, it's hard to say, since we split congs a few years ago, and people tend to move quite a bit.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Accordng to a statement made from the platform by our last CO, only 1/3 of JW kids become witnesses. Sometimes you have to wait awhile and see what happens. I've seen kids who grew as JWs, pioneered, got married, etc...and then something happens and they leave and it's quite often with the comment that they ain't coming back.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Fantastic thread by Maximus:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/10417/1.ashx

He states that 86% of the youth leave, with 29% that return because of family or other things......

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

My response was on Maximus' thread, and it's very similar to what Danny H and others have written here. Around 80% leave, and probably less than half that number come back. That was true in the 60s to the 80s - I don't know if the pace has picked up now.

S4

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

The amount of your people in the congs are diminishing FAST!

Its very rare for me to go to a hall and find young people my age (early 20's)

I usually see it like this: By age 18 there are those who are still in and if they have not left by the time they graduate from high school then they will probably be the next generation of DUB fantics.

But the majority of those who do leave usually don't come back.

I find "young people" who are usually in their mid-teens (13- 18 ) and older ones who are in their mid-20's (23-27 etc) But never in the middle.

I'm the only one in my hall who's my age.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Back in the midwest where I was raised, the local congregation has a pretty good success rate of keeping the 'young ones'

I do feel this is because most in that area do not go on to college and get stuck in the old school small town mentality,, Most in that area never leave and gain work as

carpet installers/cleaners, janitors, logging industry, etc.

There also seems to be a bit of inbreeding in my old congregation. For example,, there are two huge families that dominate the congregation,,

My family(thank god I live 2000 miles away now) and another family. Needless to say, I am now related to the 'other family' because of many marriages.

I wouldn't be surprised if during a family tree search you would find that my large family and the other large family originated from the same family(yuck!!!)

Here in california, I attended a congregation in Buena park for a short time. There were some young ones, but hardly any beyond the age of 18.

Then you would find some married couples that were in their mid 30's to 40's so there was a gap. Other than myself, there was no one from let's say 20-30 years of age.

I next moved to long beach, attended a local congregation there twice,, it was just young kids and old people,, nobody in between that was my age.

Now I attend an occasional sunday meeting,, Since I work all over SoCal I randomly pick a new hall and attend,, For me it's fun, since I like meeting new people.

At all these other halls,, basically the same thing,, little kids, and older married couples. My guess is the drop out rate is in excess of 80%

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit