What proportion of JW kids stay Witnesses? How about in your cong?

by jwfacts 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The WTS is currently growing at about 1.3 % which is similar to the global propulation growth rate. If all the JW kids stayed as JWs then the religion could grow as quickly as it is now without any door knocking.

If in 2005 1.2 billion hours witnessing resulted in the religion only growing at the rate it should be naturally it suggests a lot a kids are leaving, or doorknocking is not having very good results.

Of about 100 people born into the WTS that i can remember in my congregations in Australia about 3/4 of them have left. Is that the same in your congregation?

• sandy
    sandy

I didn't have a lot of friends my age but of the friends and acquaintances my guess is 50% of them are out.

• Clam
    Clam

I left my old Congo a long time ago but I still get all the gossip as I have family and friends either "locked in" or on the fringes. What is a common theme there is kids raised as JWs then breaking away as teenagers and their parents then giving up on the truth. This is either due to not wanting to shun their children, losing face for not being able to control their offspring or just intertia. Maybe sometimes a combination of all three.

I find this phenomenon particularly interesting, as its a kind of pull through effect.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

In my cong. now is quite hight. 90% stayed in so far.

In my last cong., there were 11 of them DF-ed together. 90% of the kids :)

• Gill
    Gill

jwfacts - How do we know for sure that the bOrg is growing at 1.3%?

It may well be the case that at the moment, in some east european countries there is growth, temporarily, but myself, I think the figures are fixed. Thinking back to my younger days in the bOrg when 20 - 30 people were baptised at each circuit assembly in the UK, now it's down to 7 or 8 at the MOST.

The young and fit, are definitely leaving in droves and just the misfits and malcontents are left behind.

I don't trust any figures given out by the WTBTS and also expect that reporting FS will become 'non - compulsory' to cover up the soon to arrive rapid decline in numbers.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Born 3rd generation JW 1957 exited 1992 my emperical observations is 80% leave at least once and 50% stay out for good. ---------------- BATTER the BORG with BLOGS all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• slugga
    slugga

My old cong was quite old and they didn't like youths. There was a huge generation Gap. Nine 20 somethings and a lot of older people.

Out of 9 of us 6 faded or were Df'd.

Of the three left

One moved away shortly after I left because he got married

One, an elders son was a materialistic sob who was always always before JC's for having his hand up some sisters skirt, so hes probably not around anymore.

The last one Rick, had plans to move away because of that generation gap, so he probably left.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Clam, it is encouraging to hear that the parents sometimes follow after their children. I have not noticed it, but am certainly hoping for it.
    Gill, I think you are right. They tried to bump up the figures by allowing old people to report even if they only do 15 minutes a month.
    When there was huge drop off after 1925 apparently they stopped publishing the figures for a few years. This year 80 countries had 0 or negative growth. I don't think they will want to be publishing those sorts of figures for long.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

In my cong in the late 70s we had many migrant families from Italy, Greece etc and several from mixed marriages, mostly with the wife being a JW. Over the decade I was there, a large percentage of the kids dropped off I dont have any exact figures, but I would say about one third.

Cheers

• kid-A
    kid-A

The Toronto situation is similar to that described by Danny. About 70% leave at one point before reaching 25, and of that pool, about 50% stay out permanently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit