Jehovah's Witness skating parties were da bomb!

by PaNiCAtTaCk 41 Replies latest jw friends

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Was this just a local Arkansas thing or were JW's everywhere getting jiggy at the skating rink? We used to have awesome skating parties and witnesses from 150 miles away would come sometimes. Or sometimes we would drive that far to go to one. It was also a good place to meet and couple skate with SUPER HOT sisters!

• meems101
    meems101

we had them also, but were warned about improper conduct

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Hehehe, I really can't picture JWs on skates - they're not allowed to participate in sports teams or anything like that, so how do they learn to skate?? I've seen my JW boyfriend skate once - he knows that I love to skate, I've been skating since I was 5, so he took me skating at a mall near where he lives, but it was only the second time in his life that he'd ever been on skates, and it was hilarious!! He's 28 years old and he can barely stand up on skates!!

Also, when I picture skating parties, I picture lots of people having lots of fun, doesn't quite seem like a JW thing to me.

And meems, welcome to the board!!

-Becka :)

• meems101
    meems101

since your boyfriend is only 28, they were probably banned by the time he was of age to have fun. i was one of the last few that was actually permitted to attend my sr prom!

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

wow. that is one happy jw memory for me. the ice skating parties at the pasadena, ca rink. ahem, away back when... but i did learn later the skating parties were banned due to the tempation for "conduct unbecoming a jw". ??? problem was too many were holding hands with the oposite sex while skating. go figure

• meems101
    meems101

OMG! hand holding, just the same as 'heavy petting'!

oh and if you were dating, you had to have the intention of being married and had to have a chaperone even if it was your little brother or sister. hey, free babysitting!

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

I dont think Witnesses skate like they used to but to say that skating is banned is ridiculous. Most witnesses I knew also played sports just not at a school with worldy people. We played football, basketball and had great volleyball parties! Even though the counsel is against being to competitive, Ive seen Elders and Servants fist fighting over a football game.

They have all these same sports at Bethel and from what I understand they can get very competitive.

• meems101
    meems101

right, we couldn't play sports at school or any other organization because that would mean worldly associations. as far as i remember, the jw's were very competitive and could be nasty when playing any games at a gathering.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    i was one of the last few that was actually permitted to attend my sr prom

What, no proms?? Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, JWs aren't allowed to have any fun. But still, a prom is a milestone, it marks the end of high school and becoming an adult, what's wrong with that?? Oh wait, it's fun and there might be some loose conduct, so I guess it's not a good place for JWs after all, they might decide that they like the real world better.

If sports in general aren't so bad for JWs, then why doesn't every KH have its own little sports league or fellowship or whatever, just so that JWs can socialize and have fun without jeopardizing their standing in the WTS?? You know, like a "JW only" group, maybe after the meetings. If they really think that worldly association is so bad, then that's definitely a way to keep their members happy, or at least less unhappy.

-Becka :)

• blondie
    blondie

I remember the skating parties; but they more or less ended in the early 80's. There were so many restrictions that JWs in "good standing" did not want to risk sponsoring them. Many an elder or MS was told that their privileges could be taken away.

Even though all the people invited were JWs; the thought was that no host could know for sure the "spiritual" standing of everyone; that large groups were strongly discouraged; that the music was not acceptable, that the hosts would be responsible for any spiritual misbehavior to, during, and from the event.

Smaller groups, 2 or 3 families might go together.

Just before we stopped attending, the DO read a flyer about a big JW party, saying this was bad, bad, bad. So I guess they try to have them still and circumvent the barriers.

km 9/95 p. 2 Do All Things for God’s Glory ***
    It has been reported that large numbers of Witnesses have gathered at rented facilities where the entertainment is unwholesome and worldly and where proper supervision is lacking. Similar activities advertised as a "Jehovah’s Witness" weekend have been held at hotels or resorts. Because of the difficulty in properly supervising such large groups, problems have developed. Rowdiness, overindulgence in alcoholic beverages, and even immorality have sometimes resulted. (Eph. 5:3, 4) Social gatherings where such conduct occurs do not honor Jehovah. Rather, they bring reproach upon the good name of the congregation and stumble others.—1 Cor. 10:23, 24, 2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit