IT HAS BEGUN "BIG" NEWS ON AP NEWS WIRE

by DannyHaszard 402 Replies latest watchtower medical

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

You are correct, hemoglobin is a fraction of the red blood cell. But the letters h-e-m-o-g-l-o-b-i-n are mysteriously missing from the 2004 WT. Why is this the case you might ask?

The October 15, 1992 Watchtower said “It would be right, of course, to avoid products that listed things such as blood, blood plasma, plasma, globin [or globulin] protein, or hemoglobin [or globin] iron.”

In 2004, the WT basically said 'same policy as in 1981.' Well, what about hemoglobin? Not clear per the Watchtower's writings which last lumped those h-e-m-o-g-l-o-b-i-n letters in with satanic blood, blood plasma, globin protien, etc. Only clear if you have the Sacramento Bee which ran a story on a JW man who was (as we ex-JW's may still be fearful to say) "lucky."

So, is the policy the same or different? Who knows. But, I have an intuition that those HLC members get hemoglobin on a "daily" basis for JWs....

Now you see it, now you don't. Smoke & Mirrors. Admit, but don't admit.

Skeeter

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

SATURDAY FEB 4 2006 STILL PLAYING WELL First released Jan 26 2006 9 days running Is church's 'blood' doctrine inconsistent?
    Houston Chronicle, United States - 1 hours ago By RICHARD N. OSTLING. NEW YORK - Jehovah's Witnesses are renowned for teaching that Jesus is not God and that the world as we know it will soon end. ... Feb. 3, 2006, 8:18PM Is church's 'blood' doctrine inconsistent? new tag line Former adherent challenges ban on transfusions, says new directive will worsen confusion By RICHARD N. OSTLING Associated Press NEW YORK - Jehovah's Witnesses ---------------------------------------------------

Jehovah's Witnesses revise ban on blood
    Centre Daily Times, PA - 46 minutes ago
    By Richard N. Ostling. NEW YORK -- Jehovah's Witnesses are renowned for teaching that Jesus is not God and that the world as we know it will soon end. ...
  • DannyHaszard
  • Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    SATURDAY FEB 4 2006 STILL PLAYING WELL First released Jan 26 2006 9 days running Is church's 'blood' doctrine inconsistent?

Houston Chronicle, United States - 1 hours ago By RICHARD N. OSTLING. NEW YORK - Jehovah's Witnesses are renowned for teaching that Jesus is not God and that the world as we know it will soon end. ...

FINALLY!! I sent them the email on Monday, the 30th. Oh well, I suppose it takes time to sort through all that shtuff in their inbox. At least they got it in there.

• rebuilding
    rebuilding

I noticed JW's posting comments to the online version of the story in my local paper so I made sure to add a couple comments of my own. Keep up the great work on this! These stories are getting peoples attention. It has done my heart good to see the WTS get such 'positive' press. -rebuilding

• garybuss
    garybuss

Skeeter1, you wrote: " Only clear if you have the Sacramento Bee which ran a story on a JW man . . . "

Huh? What's this? How do I see it?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I can't go back through all 18 pages of threads, so I hope someone will indulge me if they know the answer to my question! Has this story been in either the Seattle PI or the Seattle Times?

Sherry

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Gretchen, I checked the Seattle Times and nada.

Whenever you want to check for newspaper items in a particular state just "google" (state's name) newspapers and somewhere near the top of the results will be a hyperlink to a site with links to that state's newspapers by city.

Hope this helps.

Frannie

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I am so bummed that the Dallas Morning News hasn't carried it yet. I emailed them over a week ago with the link, and I just emailed them again. I guess apathy is what happens when there's only ONE paper in town.

Nina

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Gary,

see www.ajwrb.org

Watchtower Approves HemoPure for Jehovah's Witnesses

Jehovah's Witnesses have long been known for their rejection of blood and blood-component transfusion, even when it is necessary to save life. In a remarkable change in policy, the Witnesses’ governing body announced in the June 15, 2000 issue of its official church publication The Watchtower, that members may now accept "fractions of any of the primary components" of blood. (Italics added) Previously, Witnesses who accepted a transfusion of blood fractions other than those found in plasma faced possible expulsion and enforced shunning by church members.

This change in policy was particularly timely for one man. According to a September 24, 2000 article in the Sacramento Bee, a patient was recently transfused with Hemopure®, a highly purified oxygen-carrying hemoglobin solution made from fractionated bovine (cow) blood and manufactured by Biopure Corporation.

Dorsey Griffith, a medical writer for the Bee, states that Gregory Brown, a representative from the Jehovah's Witnesses Hospital Liaison Committee, approved the use of the oxygen-carrying solution that was transfused into the patient, Jose Orduño. The article notes: “When Orduño woke up from his drug-induced slumber, about a month after the ordeal began, Angelica was there …His sister told him about the accident and how he almost died, and about the drug made from cow blood that had saved his life.”

That approval of the use of hemoglobin marks a notable change in the Watchtower Society’s policy is readily seen from its own published statements:

“Is it wrong to sustain life by administering a transfusion of blood or plasma or red cells or others of the component parts of the blood? Yes!...The prohibition includes "any blood at all." (Leviticus 3:17) - Blood, Medicine and the Law of God, 1961, pp. 13, 14

“…various tonics and tablets sold by druggists show on their labels that they contain blood fractions such as hemoglobin. So it is necessary for one to be alert… if they are to keep themselves ‘without spot from the world.’—Jas. 1:27.” The Watchtower, 9/15/61, p. 557.

“Early in man’s history, our Creator ruled that humans should not eat blood. (Genesis 9:3, 4) He stated that blood represents life, which is a gift from him. Blood removed from a creature could be used only in sacrifice, such as on the altar. Otherwise, blood from a creature was to be poured on the ground, in a sense giving it back to God ...It would be right, of course, to avoid products that listed things such as blood, blood plasma, plasma, globin (or globulin) protein, or hemoglobin (or globin) iron.” The Watchtower, 10/15/92 - Questions From Readers. (Italics added)

As recently as 1998 two officials from the Watchtower Society’s “Hospital Information Services” wrote that Jehovah's Witnesses “do not accept hemoglobin which is a major part of red blood cells.... Jehovah’s Witnesses do not accept a blood substitute which uses hemoglobin taken from a human or animal source." Bailey R, Ariga T. The view of Jehovah's Witnesses on blood substitutes. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 1998;26:571-576.

The policy on hemoglobin and other blood fractions was changed in the June 15, 2000 issue of The Watchtower. This latest change may in fact cause further confusion for many Witnesses since products like Hemopure® are derived from large quantities of stored animal blood. Numerous witnesses have questioned the logic of such an internally inconsistent dogma. Some believe that the governing body of Jehovah’s Witnesses is simply changing its long-standing doctrine gradually to avoid legal problems anticipated with an overt change to a policy that has resulted in so many deaths over the years.

Hemopure® is currently being evaluated for human use in a pivotal, multinational Phase III clinical trial. Biopure expects to complete this trial and file Biologic License Applications (BLA’s) in the United States, European Union and Canada in 2001 for perioperative use in elective surgeries. The company has already applied for marketing approval of Hemopure® in South Africa with a proposed product indication to eliminate or reduce red blood cell transfusions in elective surgeries. Biopure is also investigating the product's use in trauma, to oxygenate hypoxic tumors, and in conditions where tissue oxygenation may be beneficial but blood is not normally transfused.

The “compassionate use” program makes Hemopure® available where a life-threatening situation exists and compatible red blood cell transfusion is 1) not available, 2) not effective, or 3) not acceptable to the patient. Requests for “compassionate use” availability of Hemopure® may come from the family or doctor of the patient; thereafter the patient, the patient’s medical institution, and Biopure must approve the request, which is then forwarded along with details of the case for final approval by the FDA. Approval is made on a case-by-case basis, and in those cases where it has been approved, it has been made available within a few days. Requests for information regarding “compassionate use” approval of Hemopure® should be directed to Jan Anderson, R.N., of Biopure. Her telephone number is 617-234-6827. For further information see the Biopure website at: http://www.biopure.com.

A.J.W.R.B. welcomes the recent developments but will continue to work for further revisions in the Watchtower Society’s blood policy. We believe that Jehovah’s Witnesses should have a free choice in their medical treatment without controls or sanctions from the Watchtower Society that could separate them from their religious community or Jehovah’s Witness family members and friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit