Which Church do I go to now?

by jwfacts 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I personally feel no particular need for institutionalised religion, but recognise it is a benefit to many people. However I am constantly asked, "Where do i go to now?"
    What is the best answer to give someone? Many JW's are strongly against the Trinity so find it hard to find another Christian Church to go to. What can i suggest in this case?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I personally feel no particular need for institutionalised religion

I hear you. Why not ask them why they do feel a need for it? I understand maybe not now, jwfacts, but perhaps in time.

You can always let them know how happy you are without a religion. That peace of mind thing, you know!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

JWFacts I feel if someone is really seeking to find a church to worship in one of the most important things you can remind them of is that they have freedom of choice now. They can go to services of all different denominations and figure it out for themselves.

The JW way we are used to is being told which congregation and bookstudy we must attend. Etc... We have never had that freedom before.

If its because they want religon but don't accept the Trinity perhaps they could find a unitarian church...

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I think everyone who has left or is in the process of, has thought about that. I too want nothing more to do with organized religion. I remember listening to a tape by Edward Dunlap after he was df'd and how he would just meet with a few people at his home to read and study the bible. This sounds so wonderful. Remember Jesus said where 2 or more are gathered. Maybe they can find some and invite them over for coffee and study. Studying alone is not the same. To have other input on subjects gives a more balanced view.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting answers. Can you tell me a bit more about who Wnitarians are and what they believe?

• lonelysheep
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hey JW Facts this is some info avail from belief net about unitarian churches:

• Belief in Deity
    Very diverse beliefs--Unitarian/Universalists welcome all deity beliefs as well as nontheistic beliefs. Some congregations are formed for those who share a common belief, e.g. Christianity.

• Incarnations
    Very diverse beliefs, including belief in no incarnations, or that all are the embodiment of God. Some believe Christ is God's Son, or not Son but "Wayshower."

• Origin of Universe and Life
    Diverse beliefs, but most believe in the Bible as symbolic and that natural processes account for origins.

• After Death
    Diverse beliefs, but most believe that heaven and hell are not places but are symbolic. Some believe heaven and hell are states of consciousness either in life or continuing after death; some believe in reincarnation; some believe that afterlife is nonexistent or not known or not important, as actions in life are all that matter.

• Why Evil?
    Most do not believe that humanity inherited original sin from Adam and Eve or that Satan actually exists. Most believe that God is good and made people inherently good but also with free will and an imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior. Diverse beliefs. Some believe wrong is committed when people distance themselves from God. Some believe in “karma,” that what goes around comes around. Some believe wrongdoing is a matter of human nature, psychology, sociology, etc.

• Salvation
    Some believe in salvation through faith in God and Jesus Christ, along with doing good works and doing no harm to others. Many believe all will be saved, as God is good and forgiving. Some believe in reincarnation and the necessity to eliminate personal greed or to learn all of life’s lessons before achieving enlightenment or salvation. For some, the concepts of salvation or enlightenment are irrelevant or disbelieved.

• Undeserving Suffering
    Diverse beliefs. Most Unitarians do not believe that Satan causes suffering. Some believe suffering is part of God’s plan, will, or design, even if we don’t immediately understand it. Some don’t believe in any spiritual reasons for suffering, and most take a humanistic approach to helping those in need.

• Contemporary Issues
    The Unitarian Universalist Association’s stance is to protect the personal right to choose abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.

Avail from this link --> http://www.beliefnet.com/story/80/story_8041_1.html

IronClaw brought up a good option too. Some people choose to study the bible like that. They are often referred to as home churches. This link may be of interest to you --> http://www.homechurch-homepage.org/

• jgnat
    jgnat

I personally think their first year is better spent undergoing some introspection and personal study. Answer the question, "Now that all I knew is burned away, what is it that I truly believe?"

Only after such a personal inspection are they ready to look for a community to join. I see the joining as important for being part of a community, not absolutely necessary for their spirituality. So many are so poisoned by the religious experience, why push them?

After they have completed a personal evaluation, any church with an Alpha program www.alpha.org might be worth trying.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Me and a friend talk and search for truth (God) while we shoot pool and drink beer and eat pretzels in his basement. Or how about today with my friends at Bumper to Bumper auto parts? That is my "church".

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Speaking to people is more spiritual than being lectured from a pulpit. I like David's idea of shooting pool and discussing things.

The suggestions are interesting sounding Churches though I feel like I should check some out before recommending any.

I went to a Penticostal Church in London once and it just wasn't my thing. A long lecture about how important it is to donate, then some signing and dancing. It was bad enough being a stranger without having to dance in a light hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit