Which Church do I go to now?

by jwfacts 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I think that you'll find there's a big difference between a belief which is "unitarian" and the "Unitarian Church"

I checked out the "Unitarian Church" in my early days after leaving the JWs but it wasn't the direction I chose.

• KW13
    KW13

Well i am now Church of England BUT i am in it because i chose it, i am not regular there and i am learning things again.

I would say not to rush for a structured religion, but see what comes the persons way.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Being very sensitive about doctrine is a carry over from the JW past, I don't believe in the Trinity but have no problem being with members of serious Christian religions. It's the overall mentality that matters rather than individual doctrines such as the Trinity. One must look into things like are they frienly and accepting, are they reasonable people or helpful?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    What is the best answer to give someone? Many JW's are strongly against the Trinity so find it hard to find another Christian Church to go to. What can i suggest in this case?

if you MUST stay a xian, then i would become a catholic. it seems like they have been around the longest, they have super cool churches, and good music, and lots of lore. and they are not too strict.

sure sure, they may be a false religion. but then again, what is your religion if you say theirs is false? same dif? ya.

for my part, i advise you to check out buddhism if you are open to things outside of xianity.

ts

• montana96
    montana96

I have had so many interesting discussions with people now I have left the truth then when I was in. I love hearing about different beliefs and what makes people tick My children attended the BAHAI faith scripture at our local school and found it very informative!

I think the idea is not to jump into anything, research everything and make up your own mind. I am personally not interested at all in joining another religion but I feel the need to address my spiritual side; I do this by lots of reading(especially on this site)!

Mercedes x

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have been dieing to check out the Bahai, I personally think all religion points the same direction and Bahai is a pacifist religion that seems to recognise that. I also love the concepts of Buddha, however many exJWs are not ready to start on that journey.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is more to religion than appears at first sight, there is a mystical dimension that can be very negative as the JW org shows so well, one must proceed with utmost care.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

For socieological reasons I enjoy observing the services and reaction in other churches. We recently went ot a Unitarian church to watch the people and try to understand. Personally I found it to be a group of folks disillusioned with traditional churches who just couldn't pull away from the ritual. They want to help the world and recognize that religious dogma divides but it all seemed too contrived and forced. I'm sure it serves a purpose for some. Last week I sat in on a small church of christ meeting in a store front. The nervous young preacher reminded me of myself trying to come up with an animated delivery and clever illustrations. The group could have been lifted from any northwoods KH, polyester poor fitting meeeting clothes and all. I watched as a couple welcomed a vistiting family, they went out to lunch together. The group lingered after the service for half an hour talking and laughing. I'm sure that there were the same old human problems and discontent but it was not obvious to visitors. Doctrine is of very little importance to churchgoers including JWs.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

After years of indoctrination many fresh xJWs tend to be exceedingly wary about churches. I think attending about any (or several) of them may be very helpful actually, whatever one's orientation. Better for religious people than staying alone and working at the umpteenth revision of JW "truth" in their own minds, better for prospective unbelievers than building an anti-religious philosophy exclusively against their fringe JW experience. Not to mention that our experience can be sometimes helpful (as well as possibly disturbing) to regular churchgoers.

Of course choice depends on what you are looking for: friendship, teaching, ritual...

A few weeks after I was df'd I attended a moderate Evangelical church, and stayed there for a few years. Then moved to a more liberal one. Then stopped attending any church. I don't regret any of those steps.

• gumby
    gumby
    The group could have been lifted from any northwoods KH, polyester poor fitting meeeting clothes and all. The group lingered after the service for half an hour talking and laughing. I'm sure that there were the same old human problems and discontent but it was not obvious to visitors. Doctrine is of very little importance to churchgoers including JWs.

LMAO @ Pete!

Boy, have you got the churchgoin attire right! People who aren't used to dressing up formally can look pretty sad when they put on their "sunday go to meeting clothes".

I also love to observe people. You can learn more by watching and observing than by listening to the message.

I find social groups whether religious or non religious, all have the same traits. Religion has the extra benifit of spirituality which gives that group an elevated position above the rest of those not in their special group.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit