Let's Get Physical - Diet & Exercise thread

by Funchback 34 Replies latest social physical

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I have a personal trainer that comes to my home two days a week. I also walk 45 minutes a day for 3 additional days.

I am not crazy about diets. They are the reason I've gained so much weight. I just try to listen to my body and make wise food choices.

• G Money
    G Money

Here is my $.02...

Don't skip breakfast, eat to get your metabolism going and give you energy. Also don't eat after dark.

Ideal cardiovascular exercise would be for 3 times a week for at least 20 minutes straight. You'll want to keep your target heart rate at about 165 or higher.

Trying going to the gym daily and working a different body part. A partner helps you stay consistent and regular. Different body parts to work different days are: Back, Shoulders, Legs, Arms and Chest. This is in addition to cardio. Also light on the carbs, if you are going to eat them, better for breakfast and lunch than dinner. Perhaps trade a mixed drink for beer if you do decide to drink.

Drinking lots of water is excellent. Also take vitamins in the morning like B, C and E as well as folic acid. Unfortunately it is hard and takes work to alter your body. It will be tough but well worth it as you see the results coming. If you are doing weights, you'll drop fat but not necessarily weight as muscle weighs more than fat. best to measure waistline in addition to jumping on the scale. Also see you doctor before you start any exercise regimen.

If you want killer abs, the best thing to use is the hanging slings where you place your elbows in them and hang and then you try to bring your legs up to touch your face and then do it to the sides as well. That will have you in pain the next day but will build them rock hard.

• Purza
    Purza

My doctor told me to walk 150 minutes a week. So I do about 30 minutes a day. I read somewhere that having music helps you keep regular and motivated with your exercise plan so my husband bought me an IPOD. I look forward to my 30 minutes of "my time" and "my music" everyday.

I also agree with the poster that said -- don't skip breakfast. Also having small meals throughout the day helps. I will eat breakfast at 7:30 (oatmeal, eggs or cereal) and then at 10:00 a.m. I will have a yogurt. 11:00 a.m. a Pria bar or some string cheese; lunch at 12:30 and then a piece of fruit or low fat popcorn at 3:00 p.m. and dinner at 6:00. Knowing I have scheduled times to eat helps me get through the day. Of course without some advance planning, it could be difficult to maintain a schedule like that.

Best of luck to you on your new regimen (whatever it is that works for you).

Purza

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi Brian, long time no see *hug*

I've been into sports and fitness for almost 2 years now and am loving it - combined with a healthier eating lifestyle. You will probably want to do a combination of work outs. I usually do 3 hrs a week cardio vascular for weight loss, this includes jogging / cycling / cross trainer etc. Break it down to 30 mins a session so you don't get too bored with it - 15 mins tread plus 15 mins bike or a similiar combination. The gym masters say the best regime for weight loss is 5 hours a week of cardio, but I'm only doing 3. On top of that you should do some toning which should include the waist / stomach / leg / buttock / arm exercises. I rotate these so that I'm not doing the same thing each day.

The gym masters (that's not what they are really called, its just what I've named them) have advised me along the way and have come up with the above suggestions. They have also suggested not to cut out carbs completely like a lot of diets have advised, but they do suggest not to have carbs before bed time, rather, it is best to have it at least 30 mins before a work out. This is probably in line with the CSIRO diet also, which I haven't yet read so can't really say. Or, if not before a work out, to have the potatoes / fries / pasta foods midday rather than for or with your evening meal. This makes sense as carbs assist the muscles when you exercise and we don't exercise when we sleep so the carbs are stored up.

Eat at least 2 pieces of fresh fruit a day, and make sure to have a variety and not the same thing week by week. Fresh veges daily goes without saying - it can be a real drag but you feel so much better for it. Drink at least a ltr of water a day and don't skip breakfast.

The best thing is....there's so much living to be done with that new found energy.

All the best with your goals - oh yeah that was the other thing, set mini goals (now I sound like a Jenny Craig advert )

~Beck~

• greendawn
    greendawn

For diets the strategy is to avoid eating unnecessary high calory foods like crisps (chips), biscuits, cakes and chocolates. That leaves plenty of other things to eat. Consuming 1800 calories (1500 for women) and excercising on top of that will no doubt lead to good weight loss of around 4KG (9LB)per month.

The problem is that food must be weighed and calories noted but there are some scales that automatically work them out. On the other hand 1800 calories means quite a lot of food eg 200g (7 Oz) of lean meat give under 400 calories and of 200g of pasta 240.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Wow! These are some great suggestions! Already I have begun. I ate a moderate breakfast (without bread and butter...yay!!!) Tonight, I'm headed to the gym (after I eat dinner).

Beck ... I've missed you, my love. Everything is well?
    G Money ... You are cut (a great physique). So, I know I can try your suggestions. And, if I can combine that with everyone else's suggestions, I will be well on my way to a healthier life!!!

Thanks again, all! And I am certain that anyone else reading this thread will benefit from the awesome tips you've all provided.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

For me the key was having accountability to GET there and get my work-out in...

I did this by teaching aerobics on my lunch break for years-- i HAD to be there cuz i taught the class! and it was fun, and i had relationship with others who were coming etc.

In this way, i formed the habit.

Now, tho' i occasionally still teach, mostly i'm on my own, but because i formed the habit, i still get my work-out in on my own. If i don't exercize two days running, LOOK OUT! You do NOT wanna be around me..

I am literally addicted to exercize... could be worse; it could be cocaine or alcohol.

For me, it's all about the exercize..... (which motivates me to eat properly.)

kdn

• rebel8
    rebel8

The only diet I believe in is following the food pyramid. http://mypyramid.gov It suggests 30 mins per day of exercise, which I am trying to do with brisk treadmill walks, rowing, yoga, and belly dancing.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Well, I keep to a strict weight training regimen.

I alternate days, lower and upper body.

LOWER:

Power Cleans 4 sets 10 reps (225 lbs)

Squats 4x 10 (400 lbs)

Dead lift 4 x 10 (525 lbs)

Depending on how i feel, I might add in some straight leg rows, or maybe a few minutes on the leg press.

UPPER:

Bench 2x 10 (275) 1 x 8 (300) 1 x 2 (350)

Incline Bench - same pattern as bench, decrease weight by 20 lbs each.

Curls 4 x 10 (130 lbs) 1 x 5 (150 lbs)

• Golf
    Golf

I'm into deep breathing exercises, 15 minutes first thing every morning.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit