Let's Get Physical - Diet & Exercise thread

by Funchback 34 Replies latest social physical

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Pilates.... I LOVE Pilates.

No refined foods... NONE. If I've been eating them and then remove them from my diet, I get physically sick the first week, and then I feel fantastic after that. It's almost like withdrawl symptoms... crazy!

Drink lots of water. I'll drink water with lemon juice or lime juice like someone already mentioned, it gives you some variety. Or, every time I walk in the kitchen, I fill a small glass of water and drink it then and there.

GGG

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Brian find a healthy snack that will cover your craving tastes. The craving tastes that I found that I have the most are: salty, sweet, and meaty. So for salty, I eat popcorn; for sweet, I eat an apple or some yogurt; and for meaty, a small bowl of soup. So far it's working for me. I've lost about 30 lbs. I haven't started exercising because I'm a diabetic, and I get the sugar cravings from hell when I exercise. So, I'm kind of taking one thing at a time. When my weight loss starts slowing down, and after I get used to hunger cravings, I'll start exercising.

Oh yeah! And as always drink plenty of water.

Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritionist or doctor, so this is **only** what I do. It's not a medically approved diet.

• LDH
    LDH
    Dance Dance Revolution 3 times week for 30 minutes. I know, I know, ddr is kinda cheesy but it works!!!

My 15 year old goes to the local arcade and plays this for hours on extreme or heavy. She comes home smelling like a goat and dripping sweat. LOL.

http://www.ddrfreak.com/

• greendawn
    greendawn

Refined food is not healthy for sure. When on diet it is important to receive daily all the necessary nutrition except calories, that means all vitamins, minerals and protein. We can not just cut down on food and hope to lose weight, that can create nutritional deficiencies.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I don't follow any particular diet. I try to eat more whole grains and vegetables, legumes and low fat dairy products.

I have a hard time with fruit. I will drink a little grape or apple juice mixed with seltzer water. Other than that, I can't really stand any fruit except for berries when in season.

Going to the gym is a must. I try, as much as I can to get to the gym 4-5 times a week for 40 minutes cardio. I am trying once again to alter my ususal routine and then get into weight training.

Since November I have dropped 12 lbs without really trying too hard.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Another trick for me:

I keep a LARGE tupperware stocked with fresh cut veggies all the time. Cut celery, carrots, radishes, sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes. That with a little hummus and I can stave off the salty/crunchy cravings I get. Keeps me away from the chips and it's much better fiber AND I'm getting water.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

A good tip that I got last week: Find a snack that is high in fiber, such as an apple or a pear. The fiber will keep you feeling full longer. It's been working for me so far.

CountryGuy

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Ah, one of my favorite subjects. I wrote a ten page paper on this last Spring.

I like to tell people about things to add, not things to take away.

We should be eating 5-11 servings of fruit/vegetables per day. By the time you eat all that, you won't be so hungry for the bad stuff.

Think about WHY you've gained the pounds that you did. You probably know the reason. Start by changing a small thing or two. My husband and I resolved to replace our lunches with salads (he decided that's what he used to eat for his lunch in college, 25 pounds ago, so maybe that's what he should go back to). Just think, in doing that, (depending on what you formerly ate for lunch) you can save, like 300 calories or more. And don't eat nasty salads, eat tasty ones. Go to the salad bar and pile on the raisins, tomatoes, sesame seeds, olives, etc. Use the good lettuce, or whatever you like.

My personal resolve is to

1. Walk to and from work when temperature is above 32. It's a 30-35 minute walk, and waiting for/ riding the bus takes 25 minutes. So why not?

2. Eat salad for lunch. (okay, I also add a side of dinner roll and fruit salad, but it's still healthier than a slice of pizza).

And I would stay away from the juice. It's mostly sugar. I like the above poster's idea of mixing 1/3 juice with the rest water. Then it's 1/3 the sugar.

Finally, there's basically a new push for healthcare providers to tell their patients about WALKING and TAKING MORE STEPS throughout the day rather than saying go run on a treadmill. The truth is the majority of average overweight people are not going to go from sedentary to attending the gym regularly. But they CAN start walking 10 minutes per day. Each week increase it about 5 minutes until you get to 30 minutes. Goal: walk 30 minutes most days of the week. (moderate intensity).

My advice is free. :)

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    The truth is the majority of average overweight people are not going to go from sedentary to attending the gym regularly.

6 days a week baby!!!

• Mary
    Mary

I joined a gym and try to go 3 - 4 times a week. I've lost over 50 lbs. I've also found that doing the Weight Watchers Point System (where you have to track everything you eat and drink) really helps. For example, I had a small glass of wine the other night. That's 2 Points. I was going to have another and I though "..no, I don't want to use another 2 points on wine.." and I saved it.

I find exercising and eating healthier helps me emotionally as well as physically. My ankles don't hurt anywhere near what they did before! I also climb the stairs at work instead of taking the elevator.

My goal is to lose another 40 lbs. Hopefully by summer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit