Film: Grizzly Man

by MegaDude 42 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It's playing where I am right know, I think I'm going to finally go and see it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Anthropomorphism, a form of personification (applying human or animal qualities to inanimate objects) and similar to prosopopoeia (adopting the persona of another person), is the attribution of human characteristics and qualities to non-human beings, objects, or natural phenomena. Animals, forces of nature, and unseen or unknown authors of chance are frequent subjects of anthropomorphosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

This fellow's experience is yet another flaw in Disney Philosphy of Life.

Nature does nothing uselessly. -- Aristotle

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Beautiful? Yes. Cuddly? I think not . . .

Nina (of the Anthropomorphic-But-Not-Stupid Class)

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I felt bad for his girlfriend. I haven't seen the movie, but I read about this guy in Reader's Digest.

I admire the passion he had for nature, but unfortunately he could not balance that passion with reality. Tis a shame.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I just watched this.

It was kind of interesting to see him plunge deeper into insanity. I would say he seemed to have a Saviour/God complex.

He also mentions numerous times how dangerous what he was doing is...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Excellent film/documentary, but distrubing too! I watched it after watching a documentary about the German director Werner Herzog which was actually more moving than the film. The director is a really interesting man - quite a loner, very gentle, with an unusual perspective of life. He chose not to exploit the obvious by not putting the sounds of Tim and his girlfriend being savaged which was horrific and went on for several minutes apparently. And during the filming of the documentary about the film he got shot randomly by an air rifle up in the Hollywood Hills which did injure him slightly and yet he took it all in his stride. An admirable and intriguing men - up there on my list of people I'd love to meet but would be too shy too.

• puck
    puck

i saw this movie when it first came out over here. the bear that killed him wasn't one of "his" bears -- he stayed longer in the bear territory than usual, and the bear that killed him apparently hadn't gotten enough food to store up during hibernation. i do wish that we'd gotten to see more of timothy treadwell's footage -- i think it's a very interesting story, even if he was quite a bit unbalanced. and i also think it was pretty cool that he was on a one-man campaign to save the bears by going to local schools and talking to the kids about it.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Yes, a very interesting story.

If you liked "Grizzly Man" you might like the book "Into the Wild." It is the true story of a young man from a well-to-do upper middle class family who set out to find himself. He disappeared into the Alaskan wilderness with 50 pound bag of rice and a rifle to live off the land. He never made it back because he lost too much weight, was slowly starving and weak, and then apparently ate some seeds that were poisonous thus crippling his chances of making it out of the forest alive. Before he died, he took pictures of himself waving goodbye, smiling, holding his goodbye letter in his hand. His story reminded me of Treadwell's. You should never underestimate Mother Nature.

Jon Krakauer's excellent magazine version of the story is here:

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/1993/1993_into_the_wild_1.html

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks for the recommendation Megadude - I shall add it to my dvd rental list - sounds really really sad.

For something more uplifting but equally exciting and with a bit of good athestic reasoning that saved a life try Touching the Void based on the book of the same name by Joe Simpson.

(btw you have a pm from me!)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I've looked for it on the Discovery Channel since it was first broadcast (missed it that time) and haven't seen it. I've heard and seen just bits and pieces. Does anyone know if it'll be rebroadcast? My local Blockbuster doesn't have it.

WE NEED MORE RAIN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit