Film: Grizzly Man

by MegaDude 42 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

What a whacked out character Timothy Treadwell was.

This documentary and story, told mostly through Treadwell's own video, is about a man who wanted to be a friend of grizzly bears and perhaps maybe be a grizzly bear. He took off for Alaska where for long stretches of time he would "commune" with these huge killer bears and film them. He seemed to think he had nothing to fear because he was operating at a higher level of spirituality and that the bears sensed it. There is footage where he is swimming in the river with a big bear close enough to touch it. But when he does reach out and pets it, the bear violently turns and looks at him as a threat. This didn't seem to bother him.

Treadwell kept returning to the site year after year to document his encounters with the bears. It is amazing to watch him get so close to animals I would turn around and flee from in instant. He befriends a family of wild foxes and in time he is petting them like your family dog. It's obvious watching his videos that he has some sort of emotional problems. He and his girlfriend were killed by a bear hours after he shot his last commentary on video. He didn't respect the fact that bears are wild animals and are predators.

One of the better documentaries I've seen in a while. It's a mixture of a nature show and a man's descent into insanity.

His interesting story is here: http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=19191alt

alt

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

All those years were a fools luck. His luck ran out. Time always catches up with the stupid.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Yep, Darwin's Law was at work. Push your luck too many times and you're going to get a slap from Mr. Reality.

• Dune
    Dune

His story sounds like something you'd see on a MAD tv sketch or something. Give me that guy from wild america anyday.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Too bad it is only being played in two theatres.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I gather that grizzly bears are not very spiritual minded.

S

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I really liked this documentary, probably the best I've ever seen. The director has a very morbid outlook on life and it really comes through in his delivery of Timothy's story.

Tim was one messed up kook. I felt sorry for him, but I think he got what he deserved.

I can almost see CT Russell prancing around in Alaska petting bears..

GBL

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Well, NO, Satanus, of course they're not; not NOW.

But in Paradise...

I think the poor fool realized that paradise was INVISIBLE and figured that since he couldn't see it, it must be here.

That's wht happens when one runs ahead of Jehovah's Ambulance-like organization.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving
    That's wht happens when one runs ahead of Jehovah's Ambulance-like organization.

LMFAO

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    I really liked this documentary, probably the best I've ever seen.

I thought it was best documentary of the year. Also good is "Murder Ball."

The director has a very morbid outlook on life and it really comes through in his delivery of Timothy's story.

Yes, the director believes the universe is filled with chaos and is purposeless. But he makes his point when he shows the close-up of the grizzly's face and comments he sees nothing in the face of Treadwell's "playmates" that in any way indicated anything they wanted a meaningful relationship with humans. That is, anything beyond filling their stomachs. ;)

Too bad it is only being played in two theatres.

It's out on DVD. Rent it from Netflix.

LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit