I'M GETTING REALLY FORGETFUL

by Mary 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I swear to god, I'm getting Alzheimers even though I'm still pretty young (late 30s). I'm serious. My mind wanders ALOT (it always has) and I forget things.......hell the other day I put the jam in the bottom of the stove because my mind was wandering.......

Anyone else think they've got Alzheimers? While it may sound funny, it really scares me sometimes as this disease runs in my family.......I wonder if there's any test you can get done to see if you've got it..........

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

((((Mary)))))) Here's a link to info on the 10 min. test for Alzheimer's..... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1294100.stm 10-minute test for Alzheimer's Alzheimer's patient
    Alzheimer's is a progressive brain disorder Scientists have developed a test which can detect the early stages of Alzheimer's disease in just 10 minutes.

The test can distinguish Alzheimer's sufferers from patients with depression and people without any neuropsychiatric disorder with 98% accuracy.

Professor Trevor Robbins and Dr Barbara Sahakian developed the test, called the CANTAB Paired Associates Learning Test, at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.

alt
    The areas of the brain first affected in Alzheimer's disease are the same areas utilised when performing the test alt
    Dr Barbara Sahakian, Cambridge University

It has produced highly impressive results in tests on patients attending the hospital's Memory Clinic.

The patients who made the most errors during the test were those over whom there was some doubt when they took the test, but whose mental abilities declined in the subsequent eight months.

Dr Sahakian said: "The CANTAB-PAL's sensitivity to Alzheimer's disease is related to the fact that the areas of the brain first affected in Alzheimer's disease are the same areas utilised when performing the test.

"We anticipate this test will be useful not only for early detection of Alzheimer's disease, but could also be used to measure the beneficial effects of current pharmacological treatments, such as the cholinesterase inhibitors, as well as future ones, including neuroprotective agents."

The test works by flashing up a series of patterns and images on a computer screen, and then asking patients to pinpoint whereabouts on the screen a particular image has just appeared.

It is designed to test the areas of the brain involved in controlling memory for places and events - known technically as episodic memory. It is this form of memory which is first to be damaged by Alzheimer's.

Diagnosis

Dr Sahakian told BBC News Online that it was important to diagnose Alzheimer's disease as soon as possible.

She said: "The sooner you can act to diagnose somebody and give them treatment, the more likely it is to be of benefit to them."

This applies both to current treatments such as Aricept, a cholinesterase inhibitor, which is used to slow down the symptoms of the disease, and to newer drugs under development which will actively attack the disease process itself.

The Cambridge researchers hope that their test will eventually be available in GP surgeries. There has also been a lot of interest from the US.

Rebecca Gray, head of public affairs, Alzheimer's Society, said: "The study sounds very interesting. It is essential that people with suspected dementia are given as early and as accurate a diagnosis as possible.

"Development of drug treatments suitable for the early stages of dementia add to the importance of assessing the disease in its first stages."

Alzheimer's disease is a progressive, degenerative and irreversible brain disorder that causes intellectual impairment, disorientation and eventually death.

There is no cure. It is estimated that 2-5% of people over 65 years of age and up to 20% of those over 85 years of age suffer from the disease.

The exact cause of the disease is unknown. Alzheimer's disease is linked to gradual formation of plaques in the brain, particularly in the hippocampus and adjoining cortex.

As the disease develops, it destroys chemical messengers used by the cells of the brain to communicate with each other.

The results of early trials of the test are published in the journal Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, Mary. I even asked my Dr. if it was possible that I was getting Alz. He said I was too young and that if I realised I was forgetting things then I didn't have it. Don't know if he was right or not. But I felt relieved.

Cellist

• ferret
    ferret

I am always amazed at all the smart people on this sight. As fast as a question is asked someone

has the answer to it. I love this sight.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Mary,

Seriously, take this Adult ADD test. This is widely regarded in the field as accurate (trust me, I have it and I'm being treated for it). I would not be surprised if thats what you have.

http://www.amenclinic.com/ac/tests/add_test1.php

Sherry

• Scully
    Scully

One thing I noticed with a relative who died of Alzheimers was that their handwriting started deteriorating quite early in the process. Of course, this was all in retrospect ... the relative was a meticulous journaller and kept decades worth of journals among their personal effects.

The content, as well, seemed to change from quite detailed descriptions of events to random words and phrases and eventually just scribbling.

Contrary to popular belief, in the early stages, the person afflicted with Alzheimers does notice their forgetfulness, and they often find it extremely frustrating and embarrassing. Trying harder to pay attention to detail doesn't seem to help though.

You mentioned feeling distracted... that happens to a lot of us. I went through some stressful events last year and found myself doing weird things too... like putting the coffee pot in the fridge, or the milk in the cupboard. I needed to drop some things that were not priorities and focus on the stuff that was distracting and overwhelming me. Since I work nights too, I find that if I get really sleep deprived I also get forgetful and rely on auto-pilot more ... that's when I lose stuff and put my keys in the strangest places.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I know that stress can totally throw me out of whack as far as remembering things. I also know that I find myself

listening to people talking directly at me and seeming to follow their conversation...but I know I am not listening

because I am thinking of other things (like my sister's illness, my mother's condition, etc.). I hate that but I just

find I tune others out lately. That kind of scares me but I think it is the stress.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There are lots of conditions that affect memory besides Alzheimer's. Some medications and chronic marijuana use too. Memory loss is abnormal--you should see a physician!

• Mary
    Mary
    Scully said: I went through some stressful events last year and found myself doing weird things too... like putting the coffee pot in the fridge, or the milk in the cupboard.

Oh thank god!! I thought I was the only one doing weird stuff like that!! Thanks for telling me that Scully.......it actually makes me feel better!!

• Undecided
    Undecided

I have trouble remembering names of things, like parts of cars. I sometimes can't remember a word that I know when talking or writing, names of movie stars that I know when I see them on the TV. It really bothers me and I wonder if I am getting Alzheimers too. I had an uncle who died with that disease. Sometimes someone mentions a town that I know and I can't remember where it is located, or a street in my town. I told my wife as long as I can remember how to get back home I'll be OK.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit