I'M GETTING REALLY FORGETFUL

by Mary 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Mary,

Stress and tiredness make us do the strangest things - and worry merely compunds the problem. I think you need to be checked out by your doctor but, seriously, Scully puts it well (as usual). As you know, I've had chemotherapy and that can make one's mind vacant! It's a nuisance trying to remember names and events - but then Claire, my wife, often misplaces things and says it's the result of her mind being too full, which it probably is.

Being a manager and having to look after me and the rest of the family Claire is under constant "pressure". While we are more civilised these days it has come with a cost. Life has sped up so much that we often meet ourselves coming back. It's a completre paradox, isn't it! We feel we have progressed - and we definitely have - but it has come at the cost of losing a slower pace of life and just being able to sit down and have lovely, in-depth conversation. Televison, computers, DVDs, these are all taking up our time.

If you can, sit down, unwind and read a good book. This not only relaxes you but you will also be training your mind through the written word, rather than being led along by, for example, film where we don't have to think but merely watch to see what develops before us. You also need to get a good night's sleep.

I'm sure you're no different to the rest of us. So relax and have a nice

Ian

• under74
    under74

ya...I would attribute it to stress and lack of sleep as well. I'm only 31 and have had moments where I completely forgot mid-sentence what I was talking about or started looking for something and suddenly forgot what it was. I even once was trying to make dinner and got distracted. 40 minutes later I couldn't figure out why I didn't smell anything in the oven.....realized I hadn't put anything in the oven.

It's always stressful times or lack of sleep in my case. I wouldn't worry about it too much Mary. Just try to not get too stressed and try to get sleep.

• juni
    juni

Hi Mary,

I was under extreme stress in my late 30's. Went into a temporary menopause state w/all the symptoms including bad memory. Eventually things settled down and I was back to normal. Then permanent menopause hit and now bad memory is permanent. Goes with the whole thing. Atleast the hot flashes are over!

That's why we women get a few extra years of life! FOR JOY!! Juni~~~~~~~~~

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm sorry, I was about to post a response but I can't recall what this thread is about.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I couldn't figure out why I didn't smell anything in the oven.....realized I hadn't put anything in the oven.

• kid-A
    kid-A

early onset alzheimers is still relatively rare and has a very strong genetic component, but if you are concerned, there are excellent diagnostic tests that a neurologist or

neuropsychologist can perform for you. Its better to catch something like this early as there are now pretty effective drugs, like Aricept, that can delay many of the symptoms.

Also, choline supplements are excellent for memory, it is the amino acid precursor for acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter required for memory storage in the brain and lacking in many peoples diets. But always check with your GP before taking any supplements.

• Mary
    Mary
    I'm sorry, I was about to post a response but I can't recall what this thread is about.

LOL @ Elsewhere.......

Actually, last week I went to my Naturopath and I'm taking a combination of Gingko Biloba, 5-HTP & L-Tyrosine..........let's see if it helps. I have been under alot of stress recently and maybe that's what's doing it, but I've always had a wandering mind. Anyone know if meditation is supposed to help with memory?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Mary:

Anyone know if meditation is supposed to help with memory?

Meditation stills the mind and enables one to relax. Therefore, it should help have a calming influence on you which, in turn, should help you with your memory.

Ian

• Mary
    Mary
    Ian said: If you can, sit down, unwind and read a good book. This not only relaxes you but you will also be training your mind through the written word, rather than being led along by, for example, film where we don't have to think but merely watch to see what develops before us. You also need to get a good night's sleep.

You're absolutely right. I actually feel much better when I don't spend too much time on the computer or in front of the tely. I've incorporated exercise into my life which I believe helps and I'm trying to eat healthier too. I find that those CD that are of Nature Sounds, like the ocean or the birds in the forest really has a good effect on me. I've tried in the past to do the meditation with the CD, but I get distracted so darn easily.......By the way, how are YOU doing Ian?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Mary, there is SOME classical music that stimulates one's brain. Seems that this would be helpful. Studies have been done to show that it makes babies more mentally alert and intelligent, so it surely wouldn't harm an adult to listen to it. You might want to "google" the query and find info on "stimulated by classical music" or something like that.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit