Australia and New Zealand.

by Low-Key Lysmith 28 Replies latest jw friends

• kiddotan
    kiddotan

Congratulations and enjoy each other

I agree with Miss Peaches about Australia.

New Zealand is great for holidays, fly fishing is the best. Definatly do the South Island (jessthebull is right), spectacular place to be.

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

Living in NZ I can recommend it. In Sept we are comng out of winter its not so cold it snows everywhere just on the ski slopes. The north Island can get cold but the South Island you could get some brill spring days with just a lite chill.

• one of 12
    one of 12

September is truely spring down here in the lower half of the South Island, New Zealand. Our 1 acre of Daffodils are just opening, We have cool nights, great for cuddling up, and brill days. We have also been known to have the odd spring snowfalls. Kids are off school in the middle of Sept. and quite often over the last 15 years that wev'e been down this neck of the world, we have had a good couple of days playing with the kids in the snow. Cooler nights, warm days. We have lots of good rivers for fly fishing, nothing more than an hour or two from home. Scenery is well worth a trip on its own. Jennine

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

September in NZ is lovely, a bit too cool for my liking though. Very floral and green. Great sight seeing expeditions, ie. Milford Sounds, South Island. You could go bungi jumping in Taupo and visit Huka Falls; try a traditional Hangi cooked in the ground or experience the thermal hot pools on a cool evening in Rotorua. You could go skiing in Queenstown or just enjoy the view of the wintery slopes. The south island is very scenic and refreshing. The north island is rich with culture and history. Both are equally exciting - in my opinion. But the notion of it being a hot tropical island - no way.

September in Aus varies so it would depend on where you went. Victoria isn't so hot in September, in fact we still get cold windy breezes in Melbourne that time of year. Jan / Feb are probably our hottest months. I would be inclined to head towards Queensland in September, there's so much to do there and the weather would be great that time of year.

Anyhoo, whatever you choose, have a great one.

~Beck~

• deeskis
    deeskis

hey b

• deeskis
    deeskis

oops, hey Breck and congratulations on your upcoing wedding.

i guess heat depends on what you're used to.

When we moved to OZ from Scotland it was September, moved to South of Sydney. We thought it was warm, but not overpowering. we went to the beach, and swam in the ocean. we were the only ones doing that, except for surfers in wetsuits. we even got sunburnt. haven't been in the ocean before December since!

six years later I went back to Scotland on a trip. my cousins said it was a heatwave and were wearing shorts and singlets. We were in jeans and jumpers! the sun was out but there was no heat in it.

But generally South Eastern Australia has temperate days in September. That's when the olympics were held in 2000, not too hot but still some nice weather.

my husband is a "fly fishing nut", I prefer a good book! The trout season in the rivers here is from october until june, that's because the trout are still spawning upstream. i think NZ is similar. There is no limit on fishing in the lakes, and there are some whoppers to be had. Australia doesn't have north atlantic salmon, except for Tasmania. But the trout are great.

i don't know about fly fishing in the rest of the UK, but in Scotland it will cost you an arm and a leg, the rights to fish are all privately owned and it's not just a case of casting your line. have a great time wherever you go.

D :)

• slugga
    slugga

Oz In Sept is Ok but it can get a bit humid up north. I see you want to go fly fishing In NZ, I know nothing at all about fly fishing but I do know that fishing on Land in Northern Oz Is really dangerous cos of the crocs, I kid you not.

If You want adventure go to northern Queensland, Port Douglas. Best Great barrier Reef Dive and scuba trips go from there and get one that goes at least 30 miles out, any nearer and you'll find lots of dead coral. Do the reef while its still there, You WONT regret it. You can do night time rain forest walks, have diner in a really romantic restaurant in the middle of the jungle, go white water rafting (crocs don't like fast flowing water) Bungee jumping or just chill out on 4 mile beach.

ALWAYS take note of signs on the beach be particularly careful about stingers (jellyfish) as for some weeks of the yr you cant go into the water because of them.

Sydney's an exciting place but you can get a bit bored there after a week, same with Melbourne. If you get to Melbourne hire a car for the day and do the great ocean rd drive as far as the 12 apostle's, Great Scenery.

Matt

• Mr.Beaker
    Mr.Beaker

Hey mate,

Wherever you go youre going to have an awesome time. Ive been to all the places that youre thinking of going and like everyone else on here has said i sont think youll struggle with the heat anywhere apart from some northern parts of Aust.

I think youd love NZ, its an absolutely amazing and beautiful place and you can see so much in a fairly short amount of time. Australia on the other hand is so big that it takes a lot of time to get from one place to another and flying is by far the easiest way to get around. Im with you on the heat though mate, I moved to Brisbane a couple of years ago and just about died from the humidity and heat over summer! Youre obviously not going to get that with Europe.

The only other bit of advice i can give you is that Aust and NZ are way way cheaper than Europe if thats a concern to you.

Jas

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Thanks all for the sound advice.

Sounds like NZ or AUS would be a great trip. Will definitley put serious consideration into it.

-Breck

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Aus varies greatly in weather as it is a huge country. In Sept Cairns at the top will be hot, Tassie will still be cold.
    Sydney will be perfect, Spring, warm, probably sunny, 18C during the day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit