Australia and New Zealand.

by Low-Key Lysmith 28 Replies latest jw friends

• slugga
    slugga

Ah one last tip...

In Sydney just as the nights coming in you'll see HUGE flocks of "birds" flying over the streets. ...Only they're not birds! And If you know what I'm talking about dont tell him. LOL I've seen tourists screaming and running in shops when they've realised on what the "birds" are. pmsl

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    ....Only they're not birds.

.....bats?

-Breck

• slugga
    slugga

Flying Foxes to be precise but yeah Bats and hundreds of them

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Like these you mean

alt

• Frog
    Frog

LKL I'd thought for sure you'd opened a giant can of worms on this one! The competition between Aus & NZ (our 9th state ;) is rather friendly, but at the same time fierce!

Septembers a great time for travel in most parts of Aus. I grew up in North Queensland around the Great Barrier Reef & it's a lovely time of year up there, although it's always going to be fairly tropical & a lil humid no matter what time of year. From what you've explained re your fiance's holiday preferences Sydney's not gonna be the place for her on honeymoon. It's a great city and all, lots of buzz and all that, but not the best for one-on-one romance. Cairns or Port Douglas could be a winner, nice beaches, resorts, rainforrests etc. As could Long Island, South Mole Island, Hamilton Island, Great Keppel Island and dozens of others around that region off Queensland. You could always Island hop as most do to mix it up a bit.

NZ's still a bit chilly that time of year, ski season only really starts to finish in late August. Beautiful place though.

There's always Fiji, Vanuatu or southern Thailand (Phuket)?

Enjoy coming to a happy compromise!! frog x

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Its all true what Slugga said about the bats in Sydney, they're attracted by woman's perfume, they chase them down the street and if you run into a shop to get away from them they pack around the windows like that pic up above clawing at the windows to get in. LOL

If you're coming to Oz, Melbourne's a much nicer place

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Flying foxes are very gentle social creatures. I have helped re-introduce many of them back into the wild. Having evolved to be the closest beast in Australia to humans, they are highly intelligent, feed on fruit (preferably native species such as Ironbark flowers) and have been shot to near extinction. As their habitat is being destroyed they turn to secondary food sources such as orchards and living in cities.

New Zealand is fantastic if you want a compact European type holiday with an overlay of Maori culture. Australia is vast but unique and very different to anywhere else you'll find on planet earth. Temperature wise, Southern Australia is perfect from April to November.

uncle wires rep

http://home.iprimus.com.au/readman/flyingfox.htm

• Frog
    Frog

uncle b, did you hear what they did in the Melbourne botanical gardens to alleviate the bat "situation"...apparently they drove around in a van with a loud speaker for a week making noise, and after that the bats never came back...they may have ended up homeless, but better than a cull <--happy bat x

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Yes Frog I was the nsw far south coast wires (Wildlife Information and Rescue Service) rep for three years.

Fortunately this corner of Australia is still largely wild and free. We actually had the biggest colony fly over our block a few years ago - nearing sunset they blackened a wide section of the sky for about twenty minutes as they passed directly over head. An awesome and rare sight with big male outriders keeping them in tight formation as protection against predators.

They are very like humans socially, older females roost together and won't have anything to do with males or juveniles (can't blame them lol.

In April every year I take part in the national flying fox count. For the past three years a lagoon on the outskirts of Bega has been home to a colony of around 1200. There is a roosting site in one of the deep rainforest gullies somewhere near my place on Dr.George mountain but no-one can find it (and if I do I probably won't tell

Flying foxes aren't really bats at all - just as koalas aren't any type of bear.

I plan to post some pics later of the little forest bats protected in my old mines and conservation area.People lose much of their fear when they find out how delicate they are and the fact that they each consume arround 3,000 mosquitos / night

http://home.iprimus.com.au/readman/flyingfox.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit