BIG NEWS I recieved my pamphlet WOW

by skyman 53 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

140001:

I didn't have any such delusions. I understand that many were waiting to review their own copy of the essay before commenting, if they are so inclined.

As food for thought while you or others study the article, I would like reiterate just one of the many instances that I have previously cited where I believe the essay itself is misleading to the reader.

The following bolded quote is from the essay. In it the author seeks to lay a foundation to claim that the Society misleads its members in the blood brochure ("pamphlet") by not disclosing that blood fractions may be acceptable.

Furthermore, page 18 of the pamphlet, in reference to a German consent form, reconfirms that blood components are not acceptable: “As a . . .Jehovah’s Witness, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery.” 137

This is the original quotation in context of the brochure:

Witnesses will also sign hospital consent forms. One used at a hospital in , has space where the physician can describe the information he gave the patient about the treatment. Then, above the signatures of the physician and the patient, this form adds: “As a member of the religious body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery. I am aware that the planned and needed procedure thus has a higher risk due to bleeding complications. After receiving thorough explanation particularly about that, I request that the needed surgery be performed without using foreign blood or blood components.”—Herz Kreislauf, August 1987.

By failing to disclose in the essay that the excerpt is actually from a German media report from 1987, the author misleadingly suggests to the reader that the present German blood card maintains the same posture and thus implies that the Blood Brochure is providing conflicting information to the Society’s present position on blood. Ms. Louderback-Wood well knows that today’s Blood Card (Advanced Medical Directive) does not use the “categorically reject” language but instead specifies which blood parts are being rejected.

----

Moreover, I would add that an essay written in 2005 should accurately include the Society's more recent statements and publication excerpts which all demonstrate that the acceptance of blood fractions is clearly permissible for Witnesses as the current doctrine holds. It should furthther reference the current Advanced Medical Directive.

Instead by reliance upon the third-party quote outdated as it is, the author strives to bolster her argument that the present conduct of the Society is misleading with regard to blood fractions, despite knowing full well that the Society's official position is to allow blood fractions and that even to assert to the contrary to today's reader would be false.

In fact, it is her own spin on both the interpretation of the quotation and the use of the quotation itself which is misleading. Unfortunately, only someone with the brochure in their hand would catch such an obvious misrepresentation of a minor third-party quotation in a side-article of the brochure.

The above is just one of several important misrepresentations that are ironically contained in the JCS essay dedicated to discussing misrepresentation.

I look forward to any "refutations" on the points I addressed in my previous review.

-Eduardo

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Eduardo,

Thank you for that notice. You might want to send the same information to [email protected].

reexaminer is making himself (or herself?) subject to personal jurisdiction of U.S. courts and is violating U.S. copyright laws

I hope reexaminer reads and comprehends the relative weight of what you wrote. It seems that reexaminer may have to be careful about journeying to the United States. I hope he reads this and understand the precarious position his copyright violations place him in.

As far as I know, reexaminer plans to remain a resident of China for the foreseeable future, so I am not sure it is technically an issue whether he might be tried under US law for making the publications available in the US.

As a country, China is opposed to the concept of individual rights over intellectual property so I think extradition would be doubly difficult in this instance. (1) The Watchtower Society is a billion-dollar per year corporation, and (2) they represent the interests of a religion that is currently under ban in China. I think it might be rather difficult to acquire their cooperation in this matter. Whatever the case, the point remains that reexaminer is not breaking Chinese law by making such publications available from anywhere he pleases. Being a citizen of China, he is not breaking International Copyright laws that he is not subject to.

Therefore, he is not breaking the law of his sovereign nation. How, exactly, would prosecution of this Chinese man under US law go forward?

Then, there is the ethical issue of whether actions in the interest of exposing lies and fraud are actually illegal. NDAs are frequently held untenable in whistle-blower contexts, even when signed by employees of the corporation being whistle-blown. In this case, the Watchtower Society claims to have no secret information only available to a select few, the claim to be a closed society without secrets. They are committing fraud in the claim, because it is patently false. Reexamine.org is proving the falsehood of that claim. Reexaminer is doing so without breaking the law of his sovereign nation.

So, on the one hand you have the revelation of SECRET publications and out of print publications to current JWs who otherwise do not have access to such...versus a paper published in a law journal that is available to anyone who wishes to buy it. Copyright law was not instituted to allow secrecy, they were created to allow the writer to profit from their work. I believe reexamine.org has the ethical high ground in that discussion, and since reexaminer lives in China he's technically protected legally as long as he doesn't travel to the States.

As I understand it, he has also started a Church here in the States. So he may be largely protected under the tenets of his religious faith, but I suppose the first step someone would have to take is finding out which of the BILLION Chinese he is. The pool is narrowed because you now know he's male as opposed to female, but not narrowed by very much. Also, he may very well be posting messages by proxy through contacts in countries outside China to make finding him that much harder. As I understand it, it will be hard to successfully bring a case against someone who cannot be located to be served papers.

Then someone would have to...find some way to pressure the Chinese Government, I suppose...but you would know more about that than I would. Again, as a concept intellectual property should (in my opinion) be protected as long as the product is available to anyone.

In the case of the Baylor Journal of Church and State, it is available to anyone who wants one. In the case of Counsel to Watch Tower Missionaries, it is now available to anyone who wants one but was, until recently, a secret publication.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    AS: Your assertion ignores the fundamental morality involved. Many goods and products (such as unauthorized ;movie DVDs, counterfeit Gucci handbags, etc. are also made in China or elsewhere at the least with the Government' s inaction or tolerance if not implicit sanction). This does not justify the situation.

I can't help but note that each of the examples you point to involve products in exchange for which the manufacturers expect to receive a certain amount of money. Such is also the case with the Journal of Church and State.

However, with the publications of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society there is no such principle involved as they do not charge for the publication of the materials nor do they have paid volunteers peddling the materials whose livelihoods depend on the fact that there is a single source for the information. To the contrary, they themselves specifically state that the intent is to reach as many people as possible with [some of] their publications and there is no charge for ANY of their publications.

*** km 12/93 p. 7 Sow Bountifully but With Discernment ***
    Sow Bountifully but With Discernment
    1 Every farmer knows that if he sows his seed bountifully, he will likely reap a bountiful harvest, but if he sows sparingly, he will assuredly reap sparingly. (2 Cor. 9:6) Farmers are careful not to waste seed by sowing where no growth is possible. Similar discernment is needed when we offer our literature in the field. Our desire is to leave literature with those who are interested in reading it. We want to give deserving ones the opportunity to learn of Jehovah’s undeserved kindness and the Kingdom hope.
    2 Do you find that magazines, brochures, and other publications are accumulating on a shelf at home when they could be used to bring deserving ones in your territory to a knowledge of the truth? (Compare Matthew 25:25.) Do you sometimes hold back from offering magazines or other literature on the first call simply because you find it awkward to mention how the Kingdom preaching work is supported? Experienced publishers have found that appreciative householders respond to a simple, direct statement when they are told how donations to the Kingdom work are handled.
    3 You might say:
    · “You may be wondering how we can offer literature without charge. It is a part of a worldwide educational work supported by voluntary contributions. If you would like to make a small donation toward the work, I would be very glad to accept it.”
    4 Many householders will ask how much the literature costs.
    You could reply:
    · “There is no charge for the literature because our work is supported by voluntary donations. If you would like to make a small donation today, we would be happy to see that it is used in the worldwide preaching work.”
    Or you could say:
    · “We make our literature available to all who are interested in learning more about the Bible. If you would like to make a small donation toward this worldwide work, I would be pleased to forward it for you.”
    5 In magazine work some publishers show the inside page of a magazine and say:
    · “As you see here, our work is supported by voluntary donations. If you would like to make a small donation to help with this work, I am in a position to handle it.”
    Here is another simple expression:
    · “Although our literature is offered without charge, we do accept modest donations for our worldwide work.”
    6 We should never hold back from sowing Kingdom seed because we are reluctant to mention how the work is financed. At the same time, discernment is needed so that our literature is not wasted on ‘rocky soil.’ (Mark 4:5, 6, 16, 17) Those who appreciate the good news we bring are glad to have the opportunity to contribute to its material support.—Compare Matthew 10:42.

It is difficult for me to discern exactly how they will go about making a case for damages as a result of the violations you mentioned with regard to reexamine.org. Perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten me.

AuldSoul

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Eduardo Wrote:

This is the original quotation in context of the brochure:

Witnesses will also sign hospital consent forms. One used at a hospital in , has space where the physician can describe the information he gave the patient about the treatment. Then, above the signatures of the physician and the patient, this form adds: “As a member of the religious body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery. I am aware that the planned and needed procedure thus has a higher risk due to bleeding complications. After receiving thorough explanation particularly about that, I request that the needed surgery be performed without using foreign blood or blood components.”—Herz Kreislauf, August 1987.

By failing to disclose in the essay that the excerpt is actually from a German media report from 1987, the author misleadingly suggests to the reader that the present German blood card maintains the same posture and thus implies that the Blood Brochure is providing conflicting information to the Society’s present position on blood. Ms. Louderback-Wood well knows that today’s Blood Card (Advanced Medical Directive) does not use the “categorically reject” language but instead specifies which blood parts are being rejected.

Journal of Church & State’s article reads (page 809)

1. Blood Pamphlet’s Near Omission of Acceptance of Blood Products and Fractions

“The pamphlet’s most puzzling aspect is its scant discussion of the Society’s allowing individual Witnesses a personal decision to accept blood components, a policy in place for many years prior to its printing. The pamphlet’s “Quality Alternatives to Transfusions” section, which is located near the beginning and details medical alternatives, including non-blood expanders and heart-lung machines, is the seemingly logical place to discuss blood components. Because the pamphlet includes such a section, a court could reason that the Society thereby has a duty to disclose all or, at least, the key quality alternatives to treat blood loss. However, this section omits any discussion of blood components. Furthermore, page 18 of the pamphlet, in reference to a German consent form, reconfirms that blood components are not acceptable: “As a . . . Jehovah’s Witness, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery.” However, in one sentence on page 27 of the 31-page pamphlet, the Society contradicts itself by stating that individual Jehovah’s Witnesses may accept blood components. Thus, the pamphlet appears intentionally ambiguous, if not contradictory, as blood components are never mentioned in its medical alternatives section, banned altogether in its legal section, yet unexplicably allowed in one statement near the end.

Most legal and medical professionals are unaware that the Watchtower Society actually allows blood components, including hemoglobin. This essay will therefore examine at this point whether the Society failed to adequately represent to its followers and third parties its allowance of blood components and also examine the Society’s current policy regarding blood components. ”

Skeeter’s Comments:

Kerry Louderback-Wood was not addressing or even advancing what the German consent form CURRENTLY says or does not say. She was talking about how “How Can Blood Save Your Life?” (she disclosed that it was written in the early 1990’s in another section) disclosed just three (3) statements about blood components, and that these three statements were “intentionally ambiguous, if not contradictory as blood components are never mentioned in its medical alternative section, banned altogether in its legal section, yet unexemplicably allowed in one statement near the end.”!!!!!

If I remember my last wallet card did not allow me to pick my blood fractions/products/components (whatever you want to call them) or even indicate that I could pick blood fractions! But, the long form had that option. Same thing – contradictory! Why is this important? It causes confusion. What do other JWD members think about the contradictions in "How Can Blood Save Your Life" and in the medical cards?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Eduardo,

You obviously do not care for the JCS article. EVERY post of yours has been derogatory. Instead of looking at the 18 misrepresentations in their context of what they communicated, you really stayed away from discussing most of them. When you tried to do the German blood card portion, you went outside yourself on your last analysis and missed the point of Kerry Louderback-Wood's paragraph. Furthermore, you have never discussed the fraction, Hemoglobin, or Factor VIII issues that this article discusses in detail (and for over 10 pages), and quotes www.ajwrb.org , Dr Muramoto, or Mr Franz's book "Crisis of Conscience" as backup. As these resources are like a bible for ex-JWs, I am perplexed as to why you did not gravitate toward their usage or these arguments as they make up such a substantial portion of the article. Instead, you tried to discourage everyone from reading the article, and thus hindering them from finding out how Kerry Louderback-Wood used these good sources for a legal discussion. Again, your remarks dismiss the article in its entirety and discourage others from reading it. One of my favorites was your statement that "How Can Blood Save Your Life" was not current (when it was just referred to in the December 2005 KM as being good enough for JW children). You made statements about the credibility of the Journal of Church & State as not being reputable (when it IS the top religion law periodical that is peer reviewed by professors who made better grades that either you or I and dedicate themselves to this are of law). You made statements that the JCS was a Baptist organization, and therefore out to get the JWs (when the JCS has repeatedly in the past posted PRO-JW articles written by Bethel Attorney Wah.).

Eduardo, every one is entitled to their opinion. And, yes, there are weaknesses in every argument. It's one thing to point them out, and to do so in a balanced way. But, Eduardo, you have never done that. All I can say is what Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet:
    "The {Eduardo} doth protest too much, methinks."
    --From Hamlet (III, ii, 239)

Is it jealosy? Is it pride? Is it that you are on the other side on this argument?

Skeeter1

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Since the Watchtower Society is so protective about their copyrighted material, my suggestion is that they keep it to themselves. Better yet, don't print any of it at all. That way it won't become obsolete and a future source of embarrassment.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Eduardo wrote that the article should have used "more recent statements and publication excerts....) Moreover, I would add that an essay written in 2005 should accurately include the Society's more recent statements and publication excerpts which all demonstrate that the acceptance of blood fractions is clearly permissible for Witnesses as the current doctrine holds. It should furthther reference the current Advanced Medical Directive.
    JCS Article Excerpt #1 (page 814) (Is not the June 15, 2004 the last big article on blood fractions, and isn't it in the JCS article?) "In 2000, The Watchtower declared that Witnesses could accept any fractions derived from whole blood cells, noting that medical science was advancing in its ability to break down primary components into secondary ones. The 2000 Watchtower article, however, failed to specifically mention whether hemoglobin was now allowed, thereby leaving ambiguous the question of whether Witnesses could now accept hemoglobin without reproach from Jehovah. On 24 September 2000, the Sacramento Bee reported that a member of the Jehovah’s Witness Hospital Liaison Committee approved the use of hemoglobin for Witnesses. [2] The 15 June 2004 Watchtower article, citing a policy dating back to 1981, also reiterated that Witnesses could individually accept fractions from whole blood cells, but failed to specifically list hemoglobin.
    [3] To date, The Watchtower still has not specifically publicized that it condones Jehovah’s Witnesses accepting hemoglobin, leaving doubt as to the status of a previous directive singling it out as unacceptable."

[1] .“Questions from Readers,” The Watchtower (15 June 2000): 29-30, (“Other Christians decide differently. They too refuse transfusions of whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or plasma. Yet, they might allow a physician to treat them with a faction derived from the primary components.”) See http://www.jwfiles.com/blood-WT6-15-00.htm . [2]
    See
    http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/hemopure.shtml(“According to a 24 September 2000 article in the Sacramento Bee, a patient was recently transfused with Hemopure®, a highly purified oxygen-carrying hemoglobin solution made from fractionated bovine (cow) blood and manufactured by Biopure Corporation. Dorsey Griffith, a medical writer for the Bee, states that Gregory Brown, a representative from the Jehovah's Witnesses Hospital Liaison Committee, approved the use of the oxygen-carrying solution that was transfused into the patient, Jose Orduño. The article notes: ‘When Orduño woke up from his drug-induced slumber, about a month after the ordeal began, Angelica was there …His sister told him about the accident and how he almost died, and about the drug made from cow blood that had saved his life.’”) [3] .“Be Guided by the Living God,” The Watchtower (15 June 2004): 19, 21 (“Decades ago Jehovah’s Witnesses made their stand clear. For example . . . supplied an article to The Journal of the American Medical Association . . . ‘While these verses are not stated in medical terms, Witnesses view them as ruling out transfusion of whole blood, packed RBCs [red blood cells], and plasma, as well as WBC [white blood cell] and platelet administration. . . . Witnesses’ religious understanding does not absolutely prohibit the use of [fractions] such as albumin, immune globulins, and hemophiliac. . . . Since 1981, many fractions have been isolated. . . . For the benefit of current readers, the [June 15, 2000 Watchtower] is reprinted on pp. 29-31 of this magazine. It provides details and reasoning, yet you will see that what it says agrees with the basics presented in 1981.”)

JCS Article Excerpt #2 (page 816)(Again, a whole lot about fractions, from current sources.

Today , the 15 June 2004 Watchtower admits that fractions are derived from blood, but no longer reveals the thousands of units of blood which are needed to make fractions:

By using component transfusions, physicians could spread donated blood to more patients, perhaps plasma to one injured man and red cells to another. Continued research showed that a component, such as blood plasma, could be processed to extract numerous fractions, which could be given to still more patients. [1]

The Society’s choice to not inform its readers about the large quantity of blood units needed to produce the accepted fractions or that the fractions, if added together, would total whole blood, may be an attempt to defend itself against critics who question the sincerity of the Society’s belief that it abstains from blood or only partakes in minute amounts. [2] The Red Cross urges people to donate blood to meet the Jehovah’s Witness demand, [3] and one particular Watchtower critic describes the Society’s policy as similar to that of allowing a Jehovah’s Witness to purchase an entire truck, but only part by part. [4]

[1 ] .“Be Guided by the Living God,” 21.

[2] .See http://www.ajwrb.org/links/index.shtml.

[3] .American Red Cross Campaign Slogan (“Vast quantities of blood must be donated by non Jehovah's Witnesses to provide all of the blood fractions and medicines used by Jehovah's Witnesses and their children. Please help replenish the supply - give blood.”), available online at: http://www.ajwrb.org/links/index.shtml.

[4] .Unknown Author, http://www.ajwrb.org/forbidden.shtml (“Here is an analogy: It's like saying, “see that truck over there, it's stolen and you can't buy it but if someone dismantles it, it's not a truck anymore, it's truck parts and you can buy what you want. However, the engine, the transmission, the radio and the disc brakes are special. They are the ‘primary’ components of the truck (i.e. the red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma). You can't have these ‘primary’ components unless you first completely dismantle them. If you do that you can buy them too.”)

Eduardo, did you read the article? The current blood policy is in it, alive & well. The blood fraction argument takes up about 10 pages of the article - that's about 25%! I simply could not post all 10 pages. I do not know how you can say that it does not talk about blood components or the current WTS standpoint. That is an integral part of the article. Perhaps you should reread the article. Everyone, do not let Eduardo stop you from reading this article. He, nor I, can "think" for you.

Skeeter1

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Skeeter Dude I am a little surprised your own misinterpretations and misunderstanding of not only what I wrote but of the material itself.

First just some points though:

-I have never tried to discourage anyone from reading the article. Although it is my opinion that the article's theory is without merit and there is much that is lacking in the article, especialy in terms of actual legal analysis, I do not have an agenda to discredit the article.

-I have never stated that because Baylor is a christian university that it is against Witnesses as you assert that I do. I have only pointed out that from a perception point of view, that as publisher of the article, it may negatively impact the article's utlity and reception among Jehovah's Witnesses who are conditioned to reject or look askance at all such religious sources.

-I did not state in my post that the essay did not discuss blood fractions or current JW doctrine. What i stated was in context of the paragraph you excerpted and to my post of the misrepresentation. Specifically it was with respect to the assertion by Ms. L-W that the pamphlet (blood brochure) was intentionally ambiguous, contradictory and qualified as a "Near Omission" of the acceptance of blood fractions. I stated that to address this point the essay should have included the modern doctrinal position, but this would have been obviously contrary to Ms. L-W's aims of trying to establish a contradiction.

( "Near Omission" = almost forgot to do it. Yup the Society almost didn't tell the reader that blood fractions were permissible. that cracks me up every time.)

-Elsewhere I have indicated that the Blood Brochure is outdated and is due and I believe that is is clearly so. The fact that it is included either on the Society's website or cited in recent KMs is not proof that it accurately reflects today's doctrine on blood. Old literature is frequently offered or used by Witnesses, even the WT Library CD-ROM contains many older publications which reference the old Generation Doctrine, teaching on Sheep and Goats, and so forth. Until a new replacement comes out, the blood brochure may continue to be used but all Witnesses will understand that certain things, particularly the greater acceptance of blood factions, have changed since publication.

-Finally, I like many others, felt that the build-up to the release of the article and the prognostications about its impact were unwarranted and somewhat sensationalistic.

-My comments in this thread up to this point have been about particular issues:

1) concern over an apparent hypocritical policy of moderator Lady Lee threatening to immediately delete even a link to a third-party website which might contain the article in violation of copyright, while tolerating several open posts to websites with copyright violations of the Society's materials. If the policy is going to be that JWD will allow posts or links in posts to websites who may be infringing the Society's copyrights but will not allow posts or links in posts to infringing material which is critical of the Society, then it should be plainly stated. That is certainly within Simon's perogative even if it would be biased. As an aside, legally speaking, the board, Simon or the moderators or any other website usually will not be liable for merely linking to another website where illegal activity such as copyright infringement might be occurring. Thus there is not a protective reason to adopt any policy that prohibits such posts that contain links to third-party websites and so doing so would only be a reflection of administrator's personal views.

2) AS and I have had a minor exchange upon internet jurisdiction and whether the reexaminer site is appropriate or engaging in illegal activity. These are interesting questions but so as not to hijack this thread I have refrained from commenting further.

Turning to the issues in question regarding the JCS article...

In your post-reply, you merely echo what the author herself writes as can be seen from your excerpt. Specifically:

that these three statements were “intentionally ambiguous, if not contradictory as blood components are never mentioned in its medical alternative section, banned altogether in its legal section, yet unexemplicably allowed in one statement near the end.”!!!!!

Yet this is the very contention which I indicated was not only poorly argued but actually a misrepresentation of the Blood Brochure itself. I will take each of these elements one at a time.

a. "never mentioned in its medical alternative section"

As I said in my review post, so-what? This is only the opinion of Ms. L-Wood that such a discussion should be included in the medical alternative section of the brochure. It is not evidence of misrepresentation by the Society. Additionally, in 1990 the number of blood fractions permissible to JWs were limited to a handful, albumin, Factor-h, gamma globulin, etc. unlike today which doctrine permits many others. As will be seen from below, the Society actually never discusses the use of blood fractions in the brochure and consistently ignores the topic.

b. "banned altogether in its legal section"

This was Ms. L-W's misrepresentation which I have pointed out in my review post and in this thread. Let's examine the excerpt again and I will highlight for you the relevant parts so that you can understand that this is precisely Ms. L-W's contention.

Furthermore, page 18 of the pamphlet, in reference to a German consent form, reconfirms that blood components are not acceptable: “As a . . . Jehovah’s Witness, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery.”

As can clearly and undisputedly be seen from the article (and the concluding statement already cited), L-W asserts that the pamphlet "reconfirms" that "blood components are not acceptable" and then follows the quotation as proof. (Actually, it is not a "reconfirmation" of anything since it is only the absence of a discussion on blood fractions in the alternative healthcare section which Wood sees as a "confirmation." of a total ban on blood fractions - something which is obviously complete speculation.) In any case, Ms. Wood is here stating that the Society, via the pamphlet, is communicating a blanket ban on blood fractions.

She supplies the quotation as evidence for the pamphlet's position carefully including ellipsis and failing to indicate to the reader that the quotation is not from the Society or even from the text of the pamphlet itself but is actually a third-party quotation included in a minor paragraph of a side-box. Here it is again in context:

Witnesses will also sign hospital consent forms. One used at a hospital in Freiburg, Germany, has space where the physician can describe the information he gave the patient about the treatment. Then, above the signatures of the physician and the patient, this form adds: "As a member of the religious body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery. I am aware that the planned and needed procedure thus has a higher risk due to bleeding complications. After receiving thorough explanation particularly about that, I request that the needed surgery be performed without using foreign blood or blood components."—Herz Kreislauf, August 1987.

I will ask it again: Isn't this type of conduct the exact same kind of treatment of articles and sources that the JCS article is complaining about?

Look more carefully Skeeter. Ms. L-W is not talking about what is on the German cards today, and that is not what I have pointed out. No, she is actually stating that this quotation in the side box of the brochure "banned altogether in the legal section" blood fractions. This is a ludicrous assetion and moreover, it is completely misleading to the current reader of the JCS article and misrepresentative of the Society's position then and now.

c. "yet, inexplicably allowed in one statement at the end!"

Actually, in my posted review of the JCS article I didn't even address this further misrepresentation. (there were many other points to address and too many to pick on every one) but since you have brought it forward it should be discussed.

Here again the author implies that the Society is contradicting itself in the Blood Brochure by first (as she tried to fabricate) stating a blanket ban on blood fractions in the "legal section" can be found from the German quotation. And then now by stating that it has "inexplicably allowed" blood fractions in one statement at the end.

Please note the citation to the footnote and you will see that the source of this "statement" regarding blood fractions is not actually from the Society itself nor again is even from the text of the publication itself, but rather it is contained in the JAMA article which is an appendix to the brochure. Evidently, what Ms. Wood means by "allowed" is that the Society has reproduced without change the JAMA article. (I might add that it is undoubtable that the Society was bound by JAMA reprint rules to include the entire text of the article without modification if it wanted to use it at all. No doubt the article probably contained a few things which the Society would have preferred to write differently or cast in a different light if it were the author of the JAMA article. Whether the statement in question may have been one of those things we do not know.)

--------

As can be seen from the above discussion, the author's assertion that the Brochure is contradictory on the point of blood fractions is a whimsical fabrication.

But more importantly, Ms. Wood's declaration from the outset that the Blood Brochure was published in 1990 does not mollify her intention that the essay " further legal theory regarding the use of tort law as a narrowly tailored means for affording harmed persons legal redress."

If the article were merely a retrospective upon the Blood Brochure and dedicated to pointing out what are in the author's opinion inconsistencies or misrepresentations, there would hardly be reason to object to it.

But it is the entire thrust of the essay that it be used to stimulate present action in tort, using a misrepresentation theory or cause of action.

Because the tort of misrepresentation is limited by a statute of limitations, such misrepresentations have to be relatively current in order to be actionable. Crafting an essay which examines a publication that is 15 years old and which admittedly contains a number of outdated points and beliefs which few if no Jehovah's Witnesses would fail to understand had been superceeded by more recent material and doctrine is just baffling. But more importantly, persons should understand how reliance upon the article might possibly lead to more harm and a worsening of their legal position.

Because of this, I believe that is therefore warranted to give the article as thorough and objective of a critique as possible. And where there are what appear to be clear misrepresentations contained within the article itself, it seems prudent to point these out and call for explanation and examination.

-Eduardo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

PS: Regarding the German Form, I was mistaken in thinking previously that this was language contained on the old German Blood Cards. If you read very carefully, the German article is actually referring to a "hospital consent form" that is used by the Hospital and supplied by the Hospital to Jehovah's Witnesses which some may sign.

This makes Ms. Louderback-Wood's assertion that it (the source of the quotation she uses) constitutes a blanket prohibition of blood fractions by the Society in the Blood Brochure even more aggregious and false since it is clear that the Society is not even responsible for creating or supplying the hospital consent form!!!!

-Eduardo

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Question #1) The June 15, 2004 WT says that fractions were used as far back as 1981....indicating that in 1990ish when the blood booklet was written fractions were allowed. Again, that WT language indicates that it was the policy way back in 1981. If it was the policy + these fractions are valuable medical advances, why does the blood booklet not mention them in the legal section?

Question #2) How many active JWs know about hemoglobin and fractions, and realize that fractions = whole blood if added together?

Question #3) How many active JWs sound just like the German man?

Question #4) Did your blood wallet card mention fractions or components? What did it say when you were a JW, what does it say now? How does this contradict the long forms?

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit