BIG NEWS I recieved my pamphlet WOW

by skyman 53 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

yeah don't mess with the ground-hog or he'll bazooka your face into pumpkin soup dude.

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

I expect that the WTS may have been aware of this for time. I know that some members of my family still involved were talking about rumors that there was going to be a major switcharoo on the position of blood transfusions, and I expect that that was likely a planted rumor whose purpose was to soften the flock to a policy change. That's what makes rinky-dinky churches like the WTBS so superior for con-artists than the older mainline churches like Catholicism. Catholicism has two thousand years of theology and philosophy to regulate any doctrinal issue. The Pope won't simply make things up, and is bound by precedent and tradition. The WTBS, on the other hand, can simply alter teaching at any moment, with no particular underlying systematic approach. Not enough 1914 generation types around, why just redefine what it means. The world didn't come to an end in 1975, well that's really *your* fault. Blood transfusions will ultimately be the same way. They'll couch the retreat in clever language, and because most JWs are so isolated from the outside world, they'll buy it. Sure there'll be those that jump ship, having had to put up with major doctrinal shifts one too many times. But many will stay put, even if they privately question the wisdom of the Organization.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Sorry, no pictures...but there is a diagram and a chart! First, the article discusses the misreprenstations that are contained in “How Can Blood Save Your Life?” I am going to type one excerpt, but I am not able to type the footnotes. Maybe all of us can type our favorite portion, and comment on it? *******Excerpt from page 794************** The pamphlet summarizes the immune system argument with the words of Dr. John S. Spratt who stated, “The cancer surgeon may need to become a bloodless surgeon.” The pamphlet does not, however, explain a critical distinction between Dr. Spratt’s and the Society’s definitions of “bloodless surgeon.” Dr. Spratt recommends that “cancer surgeons should consider administering only packed washed or washed frozen red cells for urgent correction of blood loss.” In other words, Dr. Spratt is not recommending withholding blood in urgent situations, but transfusing Society-banned red blood cells. The Society’s quotation of Dr. Spratt’s comment about “surgeons becoming bloodless surgeons” is a classic example of how a literally accurate quotation can create a false impression because of an equivocation, in this case what constitutes “bloodless surgery.”

Wow! When I originally read “How Can Blood Save Your Life?” as a JW, I thought that Dr. Spratt was on OUR side. I thought that he did not want to give any blood to a cancer patient, and was calling for his peers to do the same. I would have NEVER guessed that he RECOMMENDED giving red blood cells! What do you think about this misrepresentation? *****

Skeeter1 (the redneck mosquito has landed)

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks for the high recommendation. It made me decide to order it.

bebu

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

TD/Lady Lee:

Hmmm. And people talk about the double standards of Jehovah's Witnesses.

On one hand you pat yourselves on the back at protecting copyrights of others and how you are not like "pro-JW" boards and say that even a link to a third-party site that contains the essay would be deleted,

but yet you don't show the same righteous indignation for the Rexaminer site which lets persons download copyrighted materials ad nauseum.

What a black pot, what a black kettle.

-Eduardo

PS: I noticed how no one has come forward to refute the clear discrepancies and misrepresentations of what the blood brochure says which I have found in the essay itself.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Oroborus,

reexamine.org is hosted in China by someone who lives in China. To my knowledge, no laws are being broken. If you know otherwise, I am sure the admin would want to know. Please feel freee to email the [email protected].

AuldSoul

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oroborus

The Quotes site was and is "quotes' There is no breaking of the copyright laws. Short quotes from anywhere is legal.

The WTS claimed that the quotations used made them look foolish.

I just had this issue come up with the publisher of the book Captive Hearts, Captive Minds and as long as I didn't post the whole book or whole chapters what I was doing was acceptable as "fair use"

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

Unless I have misunderstood your posts in this thread, i understand that you are saying that a link to a website which contains the JCS "Big News" essay in full would be deleted by you or other moderators on this board (regardless of where that website might be hosted or located). Correct or not correct?

My only question is why such a policy is not applicable to instances of other copyright violations, vis a vis, the reexaminer website.

AS: Your assertion ignores the fundamental morality involved. Many goods and products (such as unauthorized movie DVDs, counterfeit Gucci handbags, etc. are also made in China or elsewhere at the least with the Government' s inaction or tolerance if not implicit sanction). This does not justify the situation.

Furthermore, having researched and written at length on internet jurisdiction, I can tell you that by making the products available for download in the U.S., reexaminer is making himself (or herself?) subject to personal jurisdiction of U.S. courts and is violating U.S. copyright laws. The location of the root host of the served website is not the defining factor of in personam jurisdiction.

-Eduardo

• TD
    TD

On one hand you pat yourselves on the back at protecting copyrights of others and how you are not like "pro-JW" boards and say that even a link to a third-party site that contains the essay would be deleted,

but yet you don't show the same righteous indignation for the Rexaminer site which lets persons download copyrighted materials ad nauseum.

What a black pot, what a black kettle.

Everybody should respect copyright law -- Praise where praise is due Ed. I'm not aware of the specific copyright violation committed by "Re-examiner."

PS: I noticed how no one has come forward to refute the clear discrepancies and misrepresentations of what the blood brochure says which I have found in the essay itself. -- Oroborus

Eduardo,

Don't take the lack of refutation as a tacit acceptance of the validity of your analysis. I've been pretty busy lately, and I just received my copy of the journal article at issue. I will provide my own analysis of it on this forum after I've had a thorough look at it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit