Please help us to fill out our Blood card!

by Gill 33 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gill
    Gill

My parents just came round with their New Blood Cards, asking for help to fill them in.

ME!!!! Friend of Satan! In my mothers words, the last time we discussed the WTBTS.

Anyway, I said I would help them if they crossed out and signatured the part that gave access to their medical notes to the HLC. They said that they had nothing to be afraid of and nothing to hide from their 'dear brothers who work so hard to help the poor sick brothers in hospital and went on so many courses that the society sent them on.'

I asked if the HLC members had 10 years medical practice and degrees and if they had sworn and oath of secrecy!

I know there is NO oath of secrecy, as I, 'Friend of Satan' in my mothers word, regularly get a run down on who has had what done, with what complications. She gets her information from the PO of her congregation who is a HLC member!

Hows this for secrecy....Brother XXXXXX has diverticulitis!!! Anyway, one of the pouches burst and he was desperately ill and the HLC Big Gob was there to help. According to Brother Big Gob the surgeon came out of theatre and told him that when they cut Brother XXXXXX open pus went everywhere and covered them all. He was lucky to survivie and it was a good job that Brother Big Gob was there because 'they' wanted to give Brother XXXXXX BLOOD!

Now! Is this my business? Is it your business? I could give names here and be divulging peoples personal Medical information. Even my daughter who is a med sec had to sign documents saying she WOULD NOT reveal any ones medical information!

Any way, they said they would think about it. But what was my problem since it was their personal choice? I said it was my personal choice not to help them make a serious mistake and reveal information to toilet cleaners and window wipers that was not theirs to have.

Of course they didn't appreciate my description of their 'dear brothers' but they did understand that I would NOT help with this.

Actually, we parted 'good friends' after tearing apart the characters of at least a dozen 'dear brothers'!

Go figure!!

They did say that these wonderful cards the provision of the Society was to show that they did not want blood from their own free choice. However, I pointed out that if they had blood they would be DA'd. Since 2000, JWs who had blood are no longer DF'D just D'AD!!! I explained that this still meant that they were forced not to take blood as there was punishment, in the form of shunning if they chose to aceept blood and save their lives.

I think they understood the point as they did not try to argue it any more.

However, the whole situation proves to me that the ordinary R and F JW does NOT understand the consequences of this new document and what rights they really are signing away.

I'm just glad that I was able to stand up to them and not help them with this nonsense.

I expect they'll be harrassing my sister now!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

This is insane! Why would the HLC need to know anyone's medical history? They aren't qualified to recommend treatments as a result of their examination, why would they be allowed to see the records?

You might consider letting brother diverticulitis know that you know, and how you found out. Maybe contact the local media and clue them in to the effects so WItnesses and public can be warned.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Scully
    Scully
    Hows this for secrecy....Brother XXXXXX has diverticulitis!!! Anyway, one of the pouches burst and he was desperately ill and the HLC Big Gob was there to help. According to Brother Big Gob the surgeon came out of theatre and told him that when they cut Brother XXXXXX open pus went everywhere and covered them all. He was lucky to survivie and it was a good job that Brother Big Gob was there because 'they' wanted to give Brother XXXXXX BLOOD!

I would contact the hospital where Brother XXXXXX was treated, and find out if Brother Big Gob on the HLC has signed a contract of confidentiality. Surely he has, otherwise he would not be permitted to have access to patient information, and this behaviour you've described would constitute a serious breach of patient confidentiality.

Brother Big Gob on the HLC's days as a HLC member would be cut short if the hospital (or the Branch Office) found out about this indiscretion.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Now! Is this my business? Is it your business?

Just a little off-topic comment...you reminded me....as a hospital worker I've received numerous calls from JWs (not elders) requesting medical info on patients....not just basic stuff....one even called to pressure me to tell her a JW's cause of death! I explained the privacy laws and reminded her it is within her belief system to follow Caesar's law...she said "uh huh, but could you read her file and tell me why she died? It's ok."

no boundaries

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Why would the HLC need to know anyone's medical history?

They wanna find out if youve got an STD so they can d'f you.

Well, if you are a woman they will d'f you, no questions asked. If you are a man (especially if you are an elder) they will assume you have caught it off your wife.

If later on they find out you caught if off your husband who caught it off a prostitute they will say what a great provision from Jehoobah it was that your integrity was tested all the time you were d'fed.

• skyman
    skyman

My dad was here this morning I had told him few weeks ago about the new change in the cards and today he told me that there was not any new change so I am glad it see this post becasue he just left only about two minutes ago. I'll go up to his place in awhile and ask to see the new cards.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Skyman!

The English Blood Card or really document is much bigger that the old card we used to carry. It goes into all the blood fractions and methods of blood salvage that a person may or may not be willing to have. The document is folded several times and is a lot to read in an emergency, which is something else that bothered me about it.

What I don't understand is that if the WTBTS is providing the forms and information on how to fill it in, (info on the form is 4 sides of A4 paper), how can a witness or the WTBTS say that the person filling the form is doing it of their own free will, when if they do accept blood they will be Disassociated??

Does this make sense to any one else?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    I had told him few weeks ago about the new change in the cards and today he told me that there was not any new change

I don't think there is a change in the cards that are handed out in the USA. Has anyone seen or heard otherwise? The new cards are in the UK, and the change is taking place there. For now, anyway....

GGG

• Gill
    Gill

When do the new blood cards come out in the USA?

I found this part about signing over medical information REALLY disturbing, but my parents did not seem to grasp why it was such a serious intrusion of their privacy.

JWs seem to need to tell eachother every single medical ailment to excuse their not going to meetings, in service, pioneering, giving talks etc. Perhaps that's why they don't understand how important their medical privacy is.

I know that as a JW I was alway explaining what ailment I had that stopped me attending the last meeting. You always needed a VALID excuse. Perhaps thats why so many JW may be hypochondriacs. They had to be ILL to escape the life they were leading at times.

I'm sure I was always at the doctors when a JW.

Don't wish to speak too soon but I haven't needed to see a doctor for my self for years now! I know why I needed my illnesses in the past and I'm not ashamed to be honest about it now either. I see the same traits in many, many JWS that I knew in the past the know of now.

• vitty
    vitty

I was visiting my mums house and saw her blood card and the medical directive and when I read that bit about allowing the person named as the emergency contact AND the HLC. It was the emergency contact that made me more concerned, as many ppl who live with an UBM put down their book study conductor as a contact, without really thinking about the conseqences!!!!

Can you imagine after an accident, life threatning or not. Your book study conductor having privvy to your medical information. I was told to put my SC down cos my hubby was away from home a lot, and he thought hed be more available.

Ordinary witneses just down realize what they are signing away. I never liked filling out my card on those designated evenings. I felt pressured into it, although I didnt realize it at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit