Please help us to fill out our Blood card!

by Gill 33 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gill
    Gill

There's another problem with allowing the HLC to 'help out' with your medical care and direct doctors to alternative treatments.

If the 'Big News' is correct and the information given on blood alternatives is incorrect and misrepresented, the ordinary JW is being lulled into false security by the HLC members supposedly helping out. They do not know the real risks they are taking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the WTBTS didn't do an about turn with the HLC committees and stop them interfering in medical care of JWs before someone wakes up to this scandal and sues them big time.

• Clam
    Clam

I agree Gill. I've no idea what it's like in US hospitals though.

At our local hospital where I know a lot of medical staff, the HLC muppets are usually asked to leave quite quickly by Security. They're like a red rag to a bull to most of the staff.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Clam!

Makes me wonder, but if the JW has signed the card and allows the HLC to read their med notes, does that mean that hospital staff will have less right to ask them to leave? They're not far off giving them more rights than their next of kin. I know I wouldn't be allowed to read my husbands notes. My so was 18 and had tonsilitis and my GP, was unable to discuss him with me, even though we knew it was not a serious or embarrassing condition she was afraid that he had the right to take action against her. And I was the one who was having to look after him, as he was very ill, and 'mop his fevered brow' but NO discussion and NO information.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Sheri - True the World Wide Organization is suppose to be unified and in their eyes spiritually they are. The problem arrises when secular health and privacy laws come into place. In the U.S. with the 50 states there are 50 Health Care Directives due to the differing state laws regarding "language" that is required in a POA document. Now add separate countries like the U.K. and such.

I see shortly the WTS eliminating the POA and allowing conscience decisions regarding medical care. This will not prevent them from DA/DF anyone for making the wrong conscience decision.

• Gill
    Gill

inbyathread - As you point out, the blood issue is NOT really a conscience issue as the WTBTS and its followers attempt to say.

Who is it who gives the rules on not accepting blood as biblical?

Who is it who prints the NO BLOOD Cards?

Who is it who gives guidance on the signing and expects it to be 'policed' by the elders?

Who is it who provides the HLC committee members to ensure its members who ask for assistance, are NOT given blood?

Who is it who will DF/DA you if you accept blood?

It's the WTBTS. It is NOT a conscience matter. IT is a principle of their faith.

Just as countries have laws for not speeding when driving, a person may still speed if they want to. That is a conscience matter. If they chose to speed and are caught...they WILL be punished.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is true that this card has brought home the situation re. blood to a lot of dubs who had previously put their head in the sand on this issue.

They now have to think , "do I want to take these "fractions" ? It might save my life , and the others accept it - but I have always said that taking blood products is so dangerous , I might get Aids!!, but then I might die... Oh I do not know.. "

Perhaps it will start some genuine question's, such as "If I can take one part, why not that part" ,

The older ones that I have spoken to seem minded to say "No blood products at all", even though their previous card only said they would not accept whole blood or the big 4 components , but then, they never read that one

Hells Bells ! I just re read the thread and checked the spare card that is here.. You are right.. It does say that medical records may be shared with the HLC Members ... What the @****! who gives them the right to know all about you, and why?? After all the patient cannot know which one of the "Loving Elders" will be dispatched on their case if it happens. It might be that jerk they always detested.....

• Gill
    Gill

BB! Scary isn't it! Think of those 'not very nice' elders you knew who were on the HLC committee. And they get to know EVERYTHING about you and are involved in your medical decisions. Once they're in that room with you, and you don't agree with what they're saying (you may have changed your mind, after all, it happens!) but once they're involved, how do you get the guts to get rid of them if you don't like what they're saying, or deciding?!

Myself, I think it's a ruse to stop security throwing them out of the Hospital, when they arrive to intervene. They then have the 'legal right' to be there and interfere!

A very bad move for any JW foolish enough to sign that form.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

What I found disconcerting is that the explanatory notes go into great detail about every single part of the form which needs to be filled in and or signed....except the part where you give consent for persons to have access to medical records...this strikes me as very odd to say the least. Surely I am not the only one who sees this too? DB74

• Scully
    Scully

BluesBrother:

It does say that medical records may be shared with the HLC Members ... What the @****! who gives them the right to know all about you, and why?? After all the patient cannot know which one of the "Loving Elders" will be dispatched on their case if it happens. It might be that jerk they always detested.....

Or scarier yet.... what if it is the jerk that always detested you...... or the one who has always been "friendly" with your wife....

The possibilities are endless...

• Gill
    Gill

DB - When it came to discussing this with my parents, like your mother, they had not even thought/noticed/understood the part about signing over permission to read/discuss a persons private medical details. It's not surprising that the WTBTS did not 'explain' this particular part, though I'd be interested in their explaination of why they even think such a condition is necessary. I wonder how many HLC elders are thrown out of hospitals by Security staff.

Also DB, how do you think a document like this would stand in the UK courts? Surely, no one else is stupid enough to ask their members, employees, or members of their organization to give them access to their medical information in an emergency. They might want a company DOCTOR to look at their notes, but surely not a window cleaner/ car salesman / toilet cleaner / insurance salesman / electrician ....etc. Surely this in itself would invalidate the document simply for the facts that a) as we've noticed, some of the JWs don't understand or even notice this part and b) the HLC members are not qualified to give out medical information especially misrepresented information.

Scully - I had not even thought of those possibilities!! And the really shocking thing is that it is not in the realms of fantasy but, (with all our experiences with the JWs) something that is frighteningly a real possibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit