why do so many religions claim that Jesus is God?

by evergreen 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hehe.

Methinks I prefer the idea of Panantheism to Pantheism. Which is closer to your position, S?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Panantheism isn't in the dictionary. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Panantheism You might have to help me out w it.

S

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Well, while Pantheism is "God is all of the material Universe, and the Universe is God", Panantheism is allegedly the universe "plus". A bit like an upgrade

It allows for "God" being more than just the material universe. It also attempts to get around the issue of: did the universe have a beginning, and if so, what came before it?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I stick w the original, no upgrades for me. You can't stuff me into any boxes. Actually, while the whole thing isn't totally clear to me, there is some dualism. While i see all the material as god, and god as material w perhaps some underlying consciousness, it may be that our spirits, ie, the spirit part of everyone and of the animals as well, may be from a nonuniverse source. That source is 'the light'. The material universe god emerged from the same source, only perhaps for different reasons and from different causes. 'Course, this is all theoretical.

S

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

S,

Try the correct spelling: panentheism...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Holy Dictionary, Batman, you caught me in a mighty "spelling error" error...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    " If Jesus was God he would have told us so."

They would have stoned him faster than you could finish reading this sentence.

I can't agree with you on this. According to the gospel accounts, Jesus was protected by God several times, starting with saving him from King Herod's murder of male children. Later, Jesus did things like clear the money changers from the temple and to call the Pharisees offspring of vipers, to their faces in public. Jesus was kept from harm until God removed his protection from him in the Garden of Gethsemene.

I still maintain that if Jesus was God, he would have made it very clear. Jesus never once said he was God.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Flying,
    "I still maintain that if Jesus was God, he would have made it very clear. "
    I still think he would have got clobbered if he did!! Nobody was protecting him.

"Jesus never once said he was God."
    Don't know if he said it in a round about way but he was careful of the blaspheme laws.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Gumby,

"Christendom has made the witnesses look like pee-ons when it comes to missionaries in these countries. Unless the country and people can further Brooklyns pocketbooks, their missionaries do not recieve the backing christendom gives it's missionaries. At list christendoms missinaries are supported by other christians, not a meager allowance along with your OWN funding like the dubs.."

That's interesting. Can't argue with you because I don't have enough info. I knew there was the odd missionary sites here and there but I thought that the help they gave was secular like mother Teresa - Schools, books hospitals etc. Christ always spoke about feeding the soul.

"not a meager allowance along with your OWN funding like the dubs.."
    What allowance did the apostles have? Isn't the vatican the richest state in the world with it's own bank?

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Little Toe,

"I'm afraid you show a woefully inadequate knowledge of Christendom."
    That's true.

"I suspect you got it from the JWs, as did most of us."
    Unfortunately that's true too.

"Not all Christian denominations are Paedo-baptist."
    I take it your not talking about those that wish to convert. Maybe Baptists wait.

"Many Christian denominations evangelise."
    How? The ones I know expect you to turn up to their church. If that's evangelising then JWs are doing a better job. Yeah they teach wrong doctrines but who doesn't.

" My personal conviction is that a personal relationship with Christ is what makes a Christian"
    This is the best form of Christianity. Would you preach Gods word or each to his own?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit